Cast-Iron Skillets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been meaning to purchase a cast-iron skillet but keep forgetting to do so. Earlier this morning, I received this e-mail and wanted to get the community’s feedback on this particular skillet:

https://anovaculinary.com/the-field-company-8-cast-iron-skillet/?utm_source=Anova+Food+Nerd+Family&utm_campaign=ec3fcb763e-Field_Company_Launch_Email_7.25.17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0315742ebc-ec3fcb763e-106160925&ct=t(Field_Company_Launch_Email_7.25.17)&goal=0_0315742ebc-ec3fcb763e-106160925&mc_cid=ec3fcb763e&mc_eid=0ce2097841

I am also open to recommendations on other cast-iron skillets. I will primarily be using it to sear sticks. I am new to this so any general recommendations on features and sizes to look for, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Whenever these threads pop up on various forums, the majority espouse the virtues of cast iron and how much they adore their skillets. I hate mine. Everything sticks to it. It's heavy and takes maintenance and it's hard to clean.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Whenever these threads pop up on various forums, the majority espouse the virtues of cast iron and how much they adore their skillets. I hate mine. Everything sticks to it. It's heavy and takes maintenance and it's hard to clean.

User error:
don't worry, mine too:
-I bought it "seasoned" from Aldi (probably chinese); it was really bumpy and not smooth
-EVERYTHING sticks to it.... Plus some smell.

I watch the inter-tubes, and i think over the weekend I will get a wire wheel to it and some good sanding, get it SMOOTH, then do some seasoning on the grill....

I hear you have to use pork fat or peanut oil for the most better "plasticizer" (is that a term?) layer....

The Critic: also some other threads, our BITOG-ers brothers recommended scoring the ebay for older pans (usually made in US, preferably before or after WW II)

Originally Posted By: Leo99

how are they hard to clean?
yes. they take maintenence. swabbing with oil and baking it on. so difficult.
once a good cure is built on, they are slicker than slick. nothing will stick.
they hold heat like nothing else.

the best way to build up a good cure on the cooking surface is simply to cook with it regularly. it can be washed out, but keep soap exposure to a minimum.

some folks prefer a salt scrub. while it's still hot, pour some sat in, and scrub with a paper towel, and a pair of kitchen tongs.

again, SOOO difficult.

Cast iron is about all we fry/saute on at our house. We have 3 different size skillets. They're all no-name cheap ones we got as wedding presents.
I'm guessing at the diameter, but I think they are 4in, 6in, and 9 or 10in.
To wash them, I first rinse as good as I can with plain water and use a plastic scrub-brush to get any stuck on bits off.
Then I take the dish rag I've washed the other dishes with (should have just a tiny bit of soap on it) and wash the skillet.
I rinse it, then immediately put in on the eye on high just long enough to dry it.
Every once in a while, when it starts to loose it's "shine", I'll rub a very small amount of canola oil (or peanut, or Crisco, or whatever) on the hot pan and that's it.
We store them in the oven so they stay dry (obviously take them out to bake).

I would like a larger diameter one, maybe a 12in or so with a lid. I don't think you need to spend a ton of money on one. They all do the same job.

Last edited:
I have 5 different sizes of cast iron pans. Some are older than I am. It's all we use to cook with. $100 for a #8 pan is just ridiculous.

We have one but it only gets used for stuff like steak and onions or corn bread. I'm not a huge fan of them myself but that doesn't mean they don't have some positive benefits.

I cook 90% of my food on a 10" made in USA Lodge. It took a few months of cooking to get a real non stick surface. I only clean it with bot water and a plastic scrub brush. The only thing I can't cook in it is crepes, they always stick! Anything else including eggs come out perfect every time and I spend about 1 minute cleaning it after every use.

I have bin using a variety of cast iron skillets and stamped steel pans for the last 14 years. I have to say that stamped steel pans are better then cast iron in almost every way. And after some use they become just as non stick as any teflon pan. Steel pans are lighter then cast iron. But still heavier then most non stick pans. They have a way better heat distribution then cast iron. I really like a French brand called De Buyer. Especially there mineral B line

Lodge Manufacturing is located about 40 miles from here in South Pittsburg, TN. They make a truly large array of cast iron products that are highly regarded. You can order the skillets pre-seasoned so that it is easier to start maintaining a non-stick surface. I own two pans, a 10 and 12 inch. Best uses for me are corn bread and chili.

Originally Posted By: Todari09
How about this one for searing steaks.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-P12SGR3-Pro...st+iron+skillet
Lodge logic can be had for fraction of the one you posted.
my wife uses 10 skillet every day and she loves it.

Man I am slow on the uptake today. I read his post and wondered if searing fish "sticks" was some new gourmet trend!

Thanks for your help
grin.gif

As mentioned seversl times, find a skillet that does not have the orange peel surface on the frying face. You want a smooth surface.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
... The only thing I can't cook in it is crepes, they always stick! ...

re: Crepes
can you try a bit more fat/oil into your batter first?

when i could use wheat in my house, i used a paper napkin folded in 16 to wipe the pan with a light layer of oil, before dumping a big spoon of batter

and of course, the pan has to be medium hot.

Certain famous chefs turned me onto the idea of cooking steaks and pork chops in cast iron. According to them, the best steak you can make is made in a cast iron pan. So a few years ago I sought out and bought some cast iron cook ware.

To be honest, they were right. I make a phenomenal pork chop or steak on these cast iron pans. In fact, I wont even make them any other way now.

Some tips I have learned:
-The pan has to be well pre heated (HOT) before you put anything in it. Food does not stick to a pan when it sizzles.
-Never clean with soap and water
-I scrape any bits out with a stainless chain-mail pot scrubber and a little bit of water, nothing else.
-Heavily season the pan with bacon grease

I dont think you need a $100 cast iron pan. That is more for an aficionado, that LOVES cast iron, and cooks on it every day. The $20 Lodge pan will be about as good for 1/5 the price.

Don't forget to look at tri-ply stainless. I bought several All-Clad pans, and I actually slightly prefer them to cast iron since they are a bit easier to clean. They cook (meats) identical to cast iron in my experience.

I use the top burner to get a nice sear on the meat, and then finish in the over. Just put the pan on in there.

It has been long known that trace amounts of the Iron in the pan are scraped off by the spatula every time you use it.

Its a great way to boost your Iron intake for body health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back