Trickle charger but battery still went dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bunch of collector cars I drive through the summer so my 2003 Subaru Baja normally sits in my garage from April to November. My wife has her own personal vehicle and we have a 1998 Chevy conversion van which is our family car.

So last April, I gave my Subaru a good cleaning and wax job and parked it in my garage and hooked a trickle charger to the battery. At some point I was topping off batteries with distilled water on some of my other cars and decided to top the battery off on my Subaru. It was somewhat low. I try to do this on each vehicle at least one a year but sometimes forget.

I normally keep a record on everything I do to my vehicles but forgot to write down when I installed a new battery, so I'm not sure of it's age. This makes the 3rd battery that's been on this car. The one from the factory lasted 4 years. The second one lasted maybe 4 or 5 years as well. So this one has maybe been on the car for 4 or 5 years. Since I've had the car for about 15 years.

So I finally took it to the dealership to have the defective passenger Takata airbag replaced. Well come to find out the dealership said mine did not have this air bag after all!

The day I took it in, the interior light was not lit up and the battery was dead as a door nail. I checked the voltage after disconnecting the trickle charger and it was less than 2 volts.

Last time I checked, the LED on the trickle charger was still burning. But I guess I need to see if the charger itself didn't die.

I have no idea how long the battery had been sitting there dead. I found if they do go dead, if you can recharge them within a couple of days they can be saved. But if they sit for any length of time, they are toast.

After I got it home, I gave full charge and so far it seems to be holding but I say the battery is going to need replacing.

Could topping the battery off with distilled water while hooked to a trickle charger have done something to the battery?

I have trickle chargers connected to all of my vehicle's batteries if they sit for more than a couple of weeks. This is the first experience I've ever had like this.

how old is the battery? Does the charging system work and is there a huge current draw? Don't top off the battery just make sure the plates are covered.

Last edited:
Adding H2O while on the charger should have no effect. I have been doing that since I got my first motorcycle in the 60's. Check the charger, check the posts and cables for corrosion.

The battery went down to 2volts?.. It's a lost cause replace it, even getting below 10.5v causes permanent damage. It sounds pretty obvious that the charger is defective.

Pull the battery and have it tested at your local auto parts store.

As for the charger, take a voltmeter and test the output, should be around 13-14 volts. You could also use a 12V bulb.

What kind of trickle charger. Differerent ones use different logic, or none at all.

Not enough info yet.

2v implies all cells but one are shorted. One shorted cell is one thing. Five?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

As for the charger, take a voltmeter and test the output, should be around 13-14 volts. You could also use a 12V bulb.

Now days the output of a trickle charger could be a chopped waveform and would not measure 13 - 14 Volts even when it is good.

Spent many a day equalizing the acid strength in new batteries at the old battery factory. Usually you want to have enough current to cause some bubbling in the cells so the water mixes. But just topping off this is not needed.

What kills most batteries other than not keeping them charged is adding too much water. The water lowers the specific gravity of the acid which depletes the sulfuric ions for exchange with the lead plates. This cause too much current and even more boiling while also lowering the capacity and voltage. Just keep the top of the plates covered is all you need.

You are better off to just disconnect the battery and give it a boost with a regular charger every 3-4 months vs a trickle charger.

Good points above but let me add this...you should not really ever have to add water to a battery. You're car sitting should definetly not need water adding. I think your trickle charger has been overcharging the battery that caused the water loss and fried it. Is this a charger that monitors and shuts off or just puts out 2amps all the time??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What kind of trickle charger. Differerent ones use different logic, or none at all.

Not enough info yet.

Agreed.

Harbor Freight trickle charger has an LED. That LED lights up if the battery has any voltage at all. It's no real indication anything is happening. I only use it on a timer, for a few days at a time.

A bad trickle charger can and will cook a battery over time. If you don't believe me, check any motorcycle forum. Actually, that would be my first step, if I were you. Google your model of trickle charger and the term motorcycle, see what happens.

You need a battery maintainer, not a trickle charger.

The ProLogix PL-2140 is what I use for that purpose and it is phenomenal.

Many of these 'trickle charger/ maintainers' are quite low amperage. Some of them, if they lose 115vac, will drain the battery and not restart on their own when power is returned. Some of them hold the battery at too high a voltage, some too low. Some from the same make will vary the voltage held by 0.5v which is unacceptable.

The ideal maintainer would have both an AGM and a wet/flooded setting and have a battery temperature sensor, and be capable of at least 1.5 amps in its attempts to ge thte battery to and hold it at the ideal float voltage for that particular battery at its particular temperature.

There is something to be said for just topping off a battery monthly rather than relying on the marketing claims of some of these maintainers.

Also these maintainers are not good at topping off a depleted battery, most are designed to simply hold it at a voltage, and older batteries somewhat discharged will not have their specific gravity approach maximum at 13.6v even after a week of being held there, but an hour or two at 14.7 could max out that Specific gravity.

Beware of the products marketing claims, and use a digital multimeter to check the voltages the maintainer is actually holding the battery at, and check it again at high or low ambient temperature extremes.

Not enough info yet.

I got these at either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

I told the service manager at the Subaru dealership that the car may not start the following day and may need to be jumped off but I'd replace the battery myself.

I do all my own work and the only reason I had it up there was due to the defective airbag under recall.

Of course the did an "inspection" on the car to drum up some business. They said the battery was only producing half it's cold cranking amps when they tested it. Well more than likely because it was dead before I drove it to the dealership and the battery only got 8 miles of recharging off the alternator.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124

Not enough info yet.

I got these at either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight.

So cheapo specials? Did you spend more like $10-20 or $40-50?

If the former, it likely caused a dry out due to high voltage (electrolysis faster than recombination for the long term), if the later, could still be a bad battery but could also be faulty code.

I had a Battery Tender go bad and ruin the deep cycle battery in my trailer. LED stayed on green so I never knew anything was wrong, but it wasn't charging because the battery only had 7 volts when I went to use it, and wouldn't hold a charge anymore after that. Tried it on another battery and the voltage didn't go up at all when I put the tender on it, so it wasn't working despite the LED showing that it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back