Total Eclipse of the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
The solar eclipse mania is going into overdrive in Nebraska now and the Omaha World Herald(Newspaper of Record) carries an eclipse article almost every day of late. Seems eclipse chasers might equal a fourth of Nebraska's population on August 21 just to see a two minute and thirty eight second event. I keep reading reports of people reserving motel rooms that are a two hour plus drive from Alliance. I expect Little America in Cheyenne has been booked solid for a year or more.Actually, Grand Island is a better choice for eclipse followers since it is probably only about two miles from dead center of the seventy mile wide path of totality and is located in a more populous area of the state. I understand our City of Columbus is in the 97% coverage. There won't be a room to rent here on the night of August 20 and merchants are saying prayers to Saint Jude for wishes granted. I think the war department and I will drive down the Lincoln Highway sixty two miles to Grand Island for lunch and watch the eclipse from a parking lot. Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer is hosting an eclipse viewing get together but that site will be overrun by eight AM. Other members in the path of totality?
crazy.gif

My daughter lives in Lincoln and is taking the day off to "experience" it.
I live about 20 minutes south of Beatrice, which will be one of the darkest spots during the eclipse. She wanted me to take the day off of work to be there in Beatrice to see it. I told her it was nothing more than a tourist trap, I've experienced eclipses before, it was no different than being awake at 2:00 AM, and my boss probably wouldn't understand it either.
I guess I'm the spoil-sport.

I'm within totality, about 17 road miles north of dead center. Clemson U (about 20 miles away, also in totality) is selling supposedly prime parking spots for $20, including eclipse glasses. Columbia (the largest city in totality near the east coast) expects to be swamped with Yankee visitors. Hopkinsville, Kentucky is near the point of longest totality and will be very crowded, too.

Yes, Here in KC it splits the city in half!
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/cities/KC.htm

I am just south of that line. I took the day off so I can roll north and see it.
Have my eclipse glasses!

Up in St. Joseph, MO. the sweet spot for the longest duration of totality. Hotel Rooms are booked and Air B+B rates are $1000 a night now.

Last edited:
I was in the center of totality of the Total Eclipse on July 20th, 1963. Was living in (the "Down East Coast of Maine) Corea Maine. Google it. Now, 54 years later, I may see it again, as my daughter lives just outside of Columbia SC, area of totality, and this gives me another good reason to visit her. 😇😀

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I was in the center of totality of the Total Eclipse on July 20th, 1963. Was living in (the "Down East Coast of Maine) Corea Maine. Google it. Now, 54 years later, I may see it again, as my daughter lives just outside of Columbia SC, area of totality, and this gives me another good reason to visit her. 😇😀 Thank you for serving sir. I'm still ashamed of how the country treated returning Vietnam veterans. The USA has sure changed since I grew up during WWII. Still remember going without things because of rationing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I was in the center of totality of the Total Eclipse on July 20th, 1963. ... I may see it again, as my daughter lives just outside of Columbia SC, area of totality, and this gives me another good reason to visit her. ...
The '63 must be the one I saw as a partial in Kentucky. Watch out for eclipse-related traffic jams around Columbia.

I suspect tremendous (I mean total dead stop) traffic jams on that day anywhere they have totality.

Originally Posted By: CR94
I'm within totality, about 17 road miles north of dead center. Clemson U (about 20 miles away, also in totality) is selling supposedly prime parking spots for $20, including eclipse glasses. Columbia (the largest city in totality near the east coast) expects to be swamped with Yankee visitors. Hopkinsville, Kentucky is near the point of longest totality and will be very crowded, too.

I'm in Greenville and we're expecting a packed house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back