Wrong OEM oil filter ruins Mercedes engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see how it is Mercedes fault that:

Skinflint idiot 1 buys wrong filter.

Idiot 2 takes correct filter out and replaces with incorrect filter which looks nothing like correct filter.

And Idiot 1 calls the Mercedes dealer who knows what is going on full of [censored].

If Idiot 1 was not so interested in the lowest bidder, maybe he would not have run across Idiot 2.

Dude got what he deserved, he should man up and apologize to the Mercedes dealer and leave the part buying to the professionals in the future, he is clearly bad at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Kira

All of this to avoid possibly making a mess? Then to have an engine's life depend on the soundness of a plastic toothpick structure? INSANITY, I SAY!

"Plastic toothpick structure"
smile.gif
smile.gif

That has to be the quote of the day, thanks for making me LOL!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Based on what I read and saw, I'll say that whoever installed the wrong 'cartidge' filter is 'incompetent'. Except for both being a cartridge filters, they don't even match up in design and construction. The correct 276 has the extension prongs that the earlier model MB cartridge doesn't use. This is similar to/same as what FCA did with their current 3.6L Pentastar engines and their cartridges.

Whoever put it in should have been able to tell something wasn't right with the fit, not mention that it didn't match the design of the one that came out, the 276.

As for filter nomenclature, I refer to the filters in question here as 'cartridge' filters. That is, they are strictly an element or 'cartridge', that gets installed in a permanent engine housing. Otoh, a canister filter includes both the filter element and can together in one, the common term a spin on filter.

Yes, it's real easy to pass the blame. The bottom line is the wrong filter was installed, someone installed it, look there for the cause of the problem.

and the customer supplied the part...

So... 1) buy supplies off Amazon to save money 2) go to a quick lube to save money 3) (worst of all) have freakin' Geico to save money 4) drives a Mercedes?

I've noticed that the people who have problems with German cars are the people who can't afford the upkeep and don't learn to do the upkeep at home.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
So... 1) buy supplies off Amazon to save money 2) go to a quick lube to save money 3) (worst of all) have freakin' Geico to save money 4) drives a Mercedes?

I've noticed that the people who have problems with German cars are the people who can't afford the upkeep and don't learn to do the upkeep at home.
I agree-WTH is an owner of a BRAND NEW Mercedes taking it to a quick lube place?? I don't even like taking the leased company van to one! Sorry, I have no pity for this moron, especially when he compounded it by bringing in his own incorrect filter kit.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Based on what I read and saw, I'll say that whoever installed the wrong 'cartidge' filter is 'incompetent'. Except for both being a cartridge filters, they don't even match up in design and construction. The correct 276 has the extension prongs that the earlier model MB cartridge doesn't use. This is similar to/same as what FCA did with their current 3.6L Pentastar engines and their cartridges.

Whoever put it in should have been able to tell something wasn't right with the fit, not mention that it didn't match the design of the one that came out, the 276.

As for filter nomenclature, I refer to the filters in question here as 'cartridge' filters. That is, they are strictly an element or 'cartridge', that gets installed in a permanent engine housing. Otoh, a canister filter includes both the filter element and can together in one, the common term a spin on filter.

Yes, it's real easy to pass the blame. The bottom line is the wrong filter was installed, someone installed it, look there for the cause of the problem.

and the customer supplied the part...

He should have checked the part, and compared it to what was removed, etc. They were different. How many times have you been given the wrong part and had to go back to the store with it to get the right part? Plenty of times here, but I have yet to install the wrong part and wreck my engine. People hire professionals under the a$-$umption that they know what they're doing.....

One more vote for a screw on canister following the design philosophy of simple is better.

I'd be in favor of filter sizing where there are standard graduated bases for different engines but each base having a fixed length can and a one bypass setting and that's that. If the filter screws on it's the correct filter. Engine designers could work with that and the parts and service operations would be simplified. Ten to Twelve filter sizes could do the job. They could even color code the cans so someone would have to work hard to screw up an installation.

He should have checked the part, and compared it to what was removed, etc. They were different.

Fast work in a quickie-lube shop: Take old filter out, then toss it quickly in the garbage.
Now, drain the oil.
Next, after some minutes have passed, hunt down the new oil filter (wrong one!), and toss it in there.

Notice some time was between taking out the old one and tossing in the new on. No comparisons were made because it was already in the trash bin. And short-term memory can be shot-to-heck with marijuana usage by young techs.

We are more careful, because we DIY and are car nuts. Not so with many quickie-jif-fast-lubes out there.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why I like a simple screw on canister.

The Germans over engineer everything.

Hey Donald---I believe this is the first post I've ever agreed with you
Steve

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
He should have checked the part, and compared it to what was removed, etc. They were different.

Fast work in a quickie-lube shop: Take old filter out, then toss it quickly in the garbage.
Now, drain the oil.
Next, after some minutes have passed, hunt down the new oil filter (wrong one!), and toss it in there.

Notice some time was between taking out the old one and tossing in the new on. No comparisons were made because it was already in the trash bin. And short-term memory can be shot-to-heck with marijuana usage by young techs.

We are more careful, because we DIY and are car nuts. Not so with many quickie-jif-fast-lubes out there.

True, but a mistake is a mistake. It takes 2 seconds to check. Chalk up another win for DIY.

Originally Posted By: KL31
One of those perfect storms. Seems to always be some Euro car and a non dealership service with these stories though.

I have a friend who was a GM at a dealership that sold Audis, BMWs, and Porsches. Every so often a car would come in with one of those sketchy rubber drain plugs- installed by the local Kwicky Boobs because they stripped out the threads in the oil pan...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I have a friend who was a GM at a dealership that sold Audis, BMWs, and Porsches. Every so often a car would come in with one of those sketchy rubber drain plugs- installed by the local Kwicky Boobs because they stripped out the threads in the oil pan...

"Kwicky Boobs" --
lol.gif
--- Sounds like the title of a video I just watched from one of those notorious websites.

But seriously, I've never heard of rubber drain plugs. They exist?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Am I the only one who noticed that despite the owner supplying the wrong filter to QC idiots, he is mad at the dealer and looking to have his engine replaced under warranty?

What a typical teabag E-Class owner.

I can say that. I have one.
thumbsup2.gif

Well a GLK is more like a C class. The oil change at the dealer is like $300 though, they call it Service A and it's basically an oil change and they check a bunch of stuff so it's not just a $5 savings. Although I think they will just do an oil change and not call it Service A for around $100+. Buying your own oil plus filter and going to a quick lube place was probably in the $50-$60 range. And those quick lube guys don't make much, got a rental application from a guy like that once, he only made $1-$2 over minimum wage.

The other crazy thing with MB is that there are so many parts depending on what options the car has only by checking the VIN can you be sure you're getting the right part. Oil filter should be pretty straightforward though, that owner somehow screwed up ordering the wrong part. In the thread it mentions that he's going to contact the seller instead of saying Amazon which may indicate that he bought it from a 3rd party Amazon seller and maybe got sent the wrong part.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why I like a simple screw on canister.

The Germans over engineer everything.

I have never had an issue with a canister filter, going back to the M30 in my 1972 Bavaria. When Munich began mounting the cartridge under the hood with a screw-on cap in the '90s it made oil changes extremely simple. The only cartridge filter installation I was less than enamored with was the setup on my Mazdaspeed 3- which could only be accesses from under the car.

Well it was dumb episode for sure but don't blame it on the concept of a cartridge filter.

My Mercedes with an M271 engine has a cartridge filter of a simpler design. After changing messy screw on filters for 40 years the cartridge filter is so much easier and cleaner.

The mistake the guy made was not changing the oil himself. He would then have seen that he bought the wrong filter.

The $2000 BMW oil filter got mentioned. Now there really is a dumb design. I have one of those too.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
"Kwicky Boobs" --
lol.gif
--- Sounds like the title of a video I just watched from one of those notorious websites.

But seriously, I've never heard of rubber drain plugs. They exist?

Yes, unfortunately:

Oh no,waves in the media.
That's what destroyed the engine.
Thats all the ocd folks on here will see.

Originally Posted By: KL31
..One of those perfect storms..

Kinda agree with this.

Guy buys a filter off of Amazon, but obviously doesn't double and triple check to make sure it's the correct cartridge before purchase. However when I enter the 2013 GLK, then enter oil filters using the amazon parts selector, the correct cartridge does show up. So imo, Amazon not to blame here as seems owner implies. That said, I always double/triple check to make sure the Amazon part is correct against RA and if not satisfied check another source.

Then there's taking the wrong cartridge to what the OP of the MB thread calls, "a local shop". Whoever installed the wrong cartridge 'imo' should have at least pointed out/showed the owner the differences between what came out an what he brought/bought. Hopefully the owner then would have had enough sense to say no go. But, I wouldn't bet on it.

Bottom line, owners fault for not doing his due diligence in selecting correct cartridge. Learned a hard lesson.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Well it was dumb episode for sure but don't blame it on the concept of a cartridge filter.

My Mercedes with an M271 engine has a cartridge filter of a simpler design. After changing messy screw on filters for 40 years the cartridge filter is so much easier and cleaner.

The mistake the guy made was not changing the oil himself. He would then have seen that he bought the wrong filter.

The $2000 BMW oil filter got mentioned. Now there really is a dumb design. I have one of those too.

I have the older M272 engine, it's pretty clean changing the cartridge filter on that one too. Not really sure what they're talking about it being cleaner. Once I drain the oil out, there's none left in the canister and no oil spills out. Don't even have to wipe off any oil because nothing spills out.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Oh no,waves in the media.
That's what destroyed the engine.
Thats all the ocd folks on here will see.

i always thought the wavy gravy design was pretty rock and roll
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back