5S-FE Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they fussy on parts? OP had plugs and wires put into my '99, about 20kmiles ago; I've noticed lately some stumbling under load lately. Runs fine but if I put my foot into it, it seems to have some power cutouts above 3k--like the ac compressor kicking in and out. There is a bad spot at 3,500 rpm in particular. These are momentary stumbles, quick things. I have no idea what plugs and wires were put in, other than they probably were cheapies.

I know the spark plug wire plastic separator things have disintegrated, but I'd think cross firing would be more consistant.

Do a misfire count with a scan tool, it could be a number of things. It looks like this uses 2 coils 1&4 and 2&3 if you get a misfire count on 2 cylinder connected to the same coil its probably a bad/weak coil. Did they put double precious metal plugs in the engine?
This uses a waste spark ignition so for longer plug life the double precious metals are advisable. If they used old school plugs you might be dealing with worn electrodes.

I'll check with Techstream, and see about pulling a plug.

Thanks.

You'll get an OBD II misfire code if it gets bad enough. I suggest NGK plugs and wires. You can also get hesitation if your fuel is of such a low octane that timing is pulled back because the knock sensoris hearing ping. If your O2 sensor in the manifold is flaky it can lean the mixture enough to cause hesitation, without showing a code. That sensor is good for about 100K.

I've had the best luck w/OEM wires and NGK/Denso plugs on Toyota's. My 4Runner runs markedly better with OE wires, the fit is absolutely spot on, far superior to aftermarket. YMMV, just my observation.

No pinging. But it's always had a hesitation off idle.

My 5S hesitates from an idle at stop lights with the air on and when it is cold still. It is pretty specific timing, but it happens almost every time. When I replaced my plugs with the OE plugs and wires it ran better afterwards. Now my IAC valve is causing some idle issues from start when hot.

I had this exact issue with my Camry earlier this year. I'll post the link to the thread I made about it below. Turned out to be spark plug wires, which I had replaced before. The plastic holders also were gone and one of the wires were arcing on the valve cover. New wires and it runs like new. I had replaced with the Omnispark wires from O'Reillys at first but they didn't click into the coil pack correctly, bad fit. I ordered some NGK wires on Amazon for way cheaper and they fit nicely.

I ordered the spark plug wire holders from the dealer, took a couple days and they didn't cost much.

The plugs need to be NGK air Denso. They are a 2 prong setup, NGK 3452, I'll post a picture of what they look like below.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4302220/Camry_Stumbling#Post4302220

On Toyotas, it's best to stick to OEM or NGK wires. Denso does sell wires, but they are made in the US and while it might click and feel like the OEM wires, the cable they use isn't that great. I think the Denso wires might be made by Standard or another firm. NGK's stuff is made in Japan by Seiwa - not an OEM supplier like Sumitomo or Yazaki but it does feel like it. Supposedly Worldpac/Carquest/Advance can get Seiwa wires.

The OEM wires tend to live a long life.

+1 to the dual electrode spark plugs. In fact in the manual it has a picture of these plugs and not to use a single electrode plug.

I'll pull a plug this weekend and see what it has. I just looked and it has a set of 5mm Intermotor wires on it. They are a bit haphazard in their placement, I moved around the wires a bit to get some separation.

Edit: those plugs are bit pricey, $14 a pop. Ouch. Hence I'll check to see what I have first.

Last edited:
Pulled the plugs; NGK BKR6EIX-11. They don't look bad to me, checked the gap on one and it was 0.043" (give or take). 20k on the plugs.

Try the proper plugs. I'm not a fan of NGK or Denso's single-tipped iridium "performance" plugs unless they are going into something that justifies them.

New plugs and wires on order. One wire won't snap into the coil properly. OTOH I verified the coil is good--had a gap of over an inch before idle changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back