Getting rid of Railroad Ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
US EPA directive # 9441.04 (80) effective date 11-07-80 railroad ties as hazardous waste under the mixture rule.

Canadian environmental protection Act: creosote impregnated waste material ISBN 0-662-20477-8 Cat No En40-215/13E 1993

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
US EPA directive # 9441.04 (80) effective date 11-07-80 railroad ties as hazardous waste under the mixture rule.

Canadian environmental protection Act: creosote impregnated waste material ISBN 0-662-20477-8 Cat No En40-215/13E 1993

Seems to contradict what I found...

* Treated wood that is disposed is not a hazardous waste under federal law because
it has not been listed and testing has demonstrated that it does not exhibit a
hazardous characteristic. Therefore it can be managed in any waste management
facility (e.g., landfill or combustion system) authorized under state and local law
to manage the material.

http://www.rta.org/assets/docs/mngt of used treated wood products.pdf

http://tort.laws.com/tort-law

Railways carry all sorts of hazardous materials and chemicals that sometimes run, drip or are spilled out of the railcars during transit or accidently onto the ties.
If a railroad company sold or allowed those contaminated ties to leave their property, they will be held responsible if any injury, sickness or death that could be traced back to those ties.

Due to the number of used ties, telephone poles and cross arms taken out of service annually, an environmentally friendly solution to the problem had to be established.

Coming to a land fill near you? Not in my back yard, and those that do, must be approved by state and local laws.

Don't stand in or breathe the smoke from burning ties, you don't know where it's been.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
http://tort.laws.com/tort-law

Railways carry all sorts of hazardous materials and chemicals that sometimes run, drip or are spilled out of the railcars during transit or accidently onto the ties.
If a railroad company sold or allowed those contaminated ties to leave their property, they will be held responsible if any injury, sickness or death that could be traced back to those ties.

Due to the number of used ties, telephone poles and cross arms taken out of service annually, an environmentally friendly solution to the problem had to be established.

Coming to a land fill near you? Not in my back yard, and those that do, must be approved by state and local laws.

Don't stand in or breathe the smoke from burning ties, you don't know where it's been.

I agree RR ties should not be burned NOR should they be used for landscaping or building garden beds close to food crops and gardens; however, a used RR tie is not automatically classified as HazWaste under federal guidelines.

http://www.tercenter.org/pages/crossties.cfm

confused.gif

The way you guys are talking, those railroad ties are EPA Superfund cleanup worthy. My gosh! We're so sensitive about chemicals yet we stuff our faces with refined sugars and end up getting diabetes through our safe, approved food ingredients.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The way you guys are talking, those railroad ties are EPA Superfund cleanup worthy. My gosh! We're so sensitive about chemicals yet we stuff our faces with refined sugars and end up getting diabetes through our safe, approved food ingredients.

I do not encourage eating railroad ties...even in granulated form they ruin a good espresso.

The concrete ones can be used for landscaping or parking lot stops.
They weigh several hundred pounds each, so you don't get many to a pick-up truck load.
I know where there is pile of a few hundred of them after a derailed car ran on the ties for a few miles before going off the track on the 1st switch.
In ten years, nobody has borrowed any of them.

Last edited:
Don't wear shorts and cut the ties,the creosote will light your ankles on fire from the chain saw spitting out chips.Ask how I know.

I was wearing shorts while cutting brush last summer. My saw has a 28" bar so I don't have to bend over to saw stuff on the ground.
I thought the stinging was just from hot sparks coming from the chainsaw, so I ignored it.
It turned out that I had opened up a bee hive. lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:
My landlord would have wet his pants had he seen RRTs that straight square and in that good of condition. I am so glad he has not seen any thrown out lately, as I would be recruited to get them and then bury them in some futile and quite asinine attempt to raise his perceived property value.

I think they are toxic evil myself, and hate moving them touching them, looking at them, smelling them.

I use a Sawzall with a long thin aggressive wood cutting blade on them when forced to. It cuts them pretty fast.

Quote:
I think they are toxic evil myself, and hate moving them touching them, looking at them, smelling them.

You should probably see a qualified mental health professional to deal with your problems.

My electric co tried to go to the green pressure treated poles but gave up when the EPA replaced it's proposed regs back in the 90's.

Old RR ties do burn nice and slow. As with any fire it depends on how much O2 it gets so the toxins are fully consumed.

I've had some RR ties out around a huge Oak I have but the termites have pretty well take care of them for me over the last 20 years.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Quote:

You should probably see a qualified mental health professional to deal with your problems.
Your maina over railroad ties is one the easier afflictions to cure. UPRR made great strides in using concrete ties but the short lines still use those nasty creosoted ties you dream about. Keep it between the lines arl.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Quote:

No, he's from California, where they have Proposition 65 warnings on every corner, warning about some cancer risk.
I bet it caused hypochondria in a lot of their population.
disney_sign-OCSmallBusiness.com_.jpg

Moonbat state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back