Wrong OEM oil filter ruins Mercedes engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor guy but he didn't do quite enough research. In 2013, Mercedes made a switch in the GLK350 to a very modern DI engine with start/stop and it's a completely new design that was actually designed in conjunction with Chrysler. Anyway, it's a 3.5 V6 that is smooth as silk and makes about 300hp.

The filter is an unusual design that I've never seen before with some prongs on one side. Both engines use a canister filter so the oil change place where he took his parts to didn't really know what they were doing. Anyway, sounds like he did some internal damage to the engine although it still sorta works.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/673155-2013-glk-350-engine-failure-oil-filter.html

I will say, it's kind of crazy that the oil filter system was designed in a way that it's possible to starve the engine of oil and that we're relying on some small plastic prongs to avoid lower engine damage.... so that's not great.

Last edited:
I read the whole thread. The situation is best summed up as a soup sandwich. Mercedes screwed up by designing the new engine filter setup in a way that wrecks the motor if a previous year oil filter is inadvertently installed. That is really bad design.

I read the E-350 forum and so far that hasn't come up yet on that forum. 2012+ got the direct injection engine which was 302hp over the 268hp on the previous M272 engine. Yeah the guy screwed up by buying the wrong filter from Amazon. That's why I don't really trust Amazon for car parts, they can easily spec the wrong item. Not really sure how the guy got the wrong part though, that might not have been Amazon's fault, he might not have checked it. One thing about Mercedes though, they have a system called EPC-net where you punch in your VIN and they tell you what the right part number is.

The filter container is full of oil.

The plastic prongs actually is a stopper that lets the filter housing drain into the pan, when the cartridge is removed.

All the pumped oil ran into the pan there was no pressure feed to the engine.

Many cars with canister filters have some way to drain the housing.

This one happens to be catastrophic if wrong filter is used.

Not the first time, some BMW motorcycles had the $2000 O ring in the 70's

Rod

This is the exact reason why the first time I did the oil change on our E350, I went straight to the dealership for the filter and dropped my VIN number.

Even then, I noticed the tech at the parts counter (yes, this guy definitely had more going on upstairs than your average parts guy) paused and asked me to open the box and look at the filter to verify that it was the correct one. When I went to remove the old filter, I placed it side by side with the old one and verified that it looked exactly the same.

I had no idea that this was the potential issue here, but I definitely got "one of those feelings".

Glad I did decide to go OCD on the filter. Apparently a several-thousand-dollar Sword-Of-Damocles was hanging over my head.

Bag in the upper left is the one I got from Mercedes-Benz of Fort Lauderdale.

The major rub here is that getting my filter from the dealer was NOT expensive. I want to say it was $4-5 more than purchasing online.

Sorry but I am obviously daft today ................

There is a oil pressure warning light (idiot light) fitted to all cars, and I therefore fail to see how, if THAT light never got illuminated as per the thread, how any damage to the engine could be done at all.
confused.gif

Last edited:
I did several searches for the oil filter for a 2013 MB GLK350 base model and they all returned the correct filter. I don't see how this error occurred. Even the installer should have caught the discrepancy and brought it to the owners attention.

I guess all of the holes in the cheese lined up on this day.

Based on what I read and saw, I'll say that whoever installed the wrong 'cartidge' filter is 'incompetent'. Except for both being a cartridge filters, they don't even match up in design and construction. The correct 276 has the extension prongs that the earlier model MB cartridge doesn't use. This is similar to/same as what FCA did with their current 3.6L Pentastar engines and their cartridges.

Whoever put it in should have been able to tell something wasn't right with the fit, not mention that it didn't match the design of the one that came out, the 276.

As for filter nomenclature, I refer to the filters in question here as 'cartridge' filters. That is, they are strictly an element or 'cartridge', that gets installed in a permanent engine housing. Otoh, a canister filter includes both the filter element and can together in one, the common term a spin on filter.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Based on what I read and saw, I'll say that whoever installed the wrong 'cartidge' filter is 'incompetent'. Except for both being a cartridge filters, they don't even match up in design and construction. The correct 276 has the extension prongs that the earlier model MB cartridge doesn't use. This is similar to/same as what FCA did with their current 3.6L Pentastar engines and their cartridges.

Whoever put it in should have been able to tell something wasn't right with the fit, not mention that it didn't match the design of the one that came out, the 276.

As for filter nomenclature, I refer to the filters in question here as 'cartridge' filters. That is, they are strictly an element or 'cartridge', that gets installed in a permanent engine housing. Otoh, a canister filter includes both the filter element and can together in one, the common term a spin on filter.

Yes, it's real easy to pass the blame. The bottom line is the wrong filter was installed, someone installed it, look there for the cause of the problem.

Am I the only one who noticed that despite the owner supplying the wrong filter to QC idiots, he is mad at the dealer and looking to have his engine replaced under warranty?

What a typical teabag E-Class owner.

I can say that. I have one.
thumbsup2.gif

Just so all can see the difference(s) between the 2012 and 2013 GLK350 cartridges. First correct cartridge (the one removed) for the 2013 GLK, second is 2012 GLK cartridge.

CH11060_Front.jpg

HU7185X.jpg

Most worker at a quicky lube place is not a technician. They usually make a little over minimum wage, and have had little training. Expecting much beyond putting a grease gun on dirty zerk fittings and installing an oil filter and their upsell stuff is a foolish endeavor. Often they have a bad boss and no longer care. One I know about you make an appointment for brake, radiator, belts tranny flush etc so they can schedule the only moderately skilled mechanic to come in. The op brought his own filter and oil, so the worker will do as he is told. Have you ever had to tell the customer he brought the wrong part to install?

OP do you bring your own steak to a restaurant and then complain if it is tough?

Rod

Last edited:
One of those perfect storms. Seems to always be some Euro car and a non dealership service with these stories though.

When a customer brings their own parts to us, they are signing a form that signs away their rights to even make a opinion complaint.

I still do my best to verify their components are the correct ones. If I can't, that part is probably not going in.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Most worker at a quicky lube place is not a technician. They usually make a little over minimum wage, and have had little training. Expecting much beyond putting a grease gun on dirty zerk fittings and installing an oil filter and their upsell stuff is a foolish endeavor. Often they have a bad boss and no longer care. One I know about you make an appointment for brake, radiator, belts tranny flush etc so they can schedule the only moderately skilled mechanic to come in. The op brought his own filter and oil, so the worker will do as he is told. Have you ever had to tell the customer he brought the wrong part to install?

OP do you bring your own steak to a restaurant and then complain if it is tough?

Rod

Dude drives a high end car, then goes to a QL place. And if that isn't enough he even brings his own filter to save a few cents.

If he just brought his car in and let them supply the filter they would have gotten the right one. Their computer systems are idiot proof. Scan the vin and it tells them the filter number, oil type, capacity, etc.

So silly and stupid. Owner brings his own filter purchased from Amazon. Bringing his own parts probably releases the quick lube from any liability. All in the effort to save 5 bucks probably.

Whats even worse is the quick lube technician pulls out the cartridge filter and does not COMPARE the two filters to see if they are the same?

The only cartridge filters I've ever messed with is GM or Toyota ones. Every time I take a filter out of a car, I will check out the new one to see if it is the same fit. Especially designs that take several O rings, etc.

If I was the owner of a euro car, or even a japanese car with one of these canister filters, and did not want to DIY, you can bet I would have a trusted euro mechanic doing all service on the car, not a quick lube.

Replacing a canister filter on a MB is a little different than a spin on for your ford Taurus. I'd bet there was no torque wrench used on the cap either, lol.

Unfortunate for sure.

Both parties are to blame, but the owner did supply the filter.

I am also curious as to why the oil light didn't come on?

The over-engineering thing was my question:

The prongs on the cartridge hold a drain valve (stopper) in the closed position. Thus, when the cartridge is removed, the valve (stopper) is allowed to open and any oil in the cartridge's cylindrical home drains into the pan?

All of this to avoid possibly making a mess? Then to have an engine's life depend on the soundness of a plastic toothpick structure? INSANITY, I SAY!

I did an oil change on a cousin's 2014 Dodge Charger (3.6l V-6) and noticed the prongs on the cartridge-in-use vs. the WIX cartridge I bought were slightly different in design but were identical in reach, diameter and location of the wee O ring.

Glad I got it right. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back