2006 Pontiac Vibe window fogging when raining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Hope you have an answer and better yet a solution. Whenever it rains or to some extent snows causes major interior fogging. I have to turn on the a/c blowing on the window to remove the condensation. I've seen mild fog but nothing like this, in the winter i have to blast the heat and a/c to keep the window clear. Its not losing coolant, so i don't think it's the heater core. All help appreciated,

Malcolm

Open one of the windows a couple of inches when you run the defrost mode of the air system with the selection set on bringing in outside air (not recirculating) and the windshield will defog much faster.

I've had this issue when using recirculation ac. Fresh air ac clears the problem within seconds.

Also a clogged evaporator drain has caused this on one of my vehicles. Unclogged the drain and window fogging disappeared.

This model does not allow recirculating air on front defrost, fresh only. I would check the cabin air filter and set the temp to warm or hot and make sure all the interior windows are clean and spotless and make sure the ac drain isnt clogged.

Rain water leaking into the interior, front seats, back seats, cargo area? The carpet and mats can hide wet floors/padding. Any funky smells?
Also check for leaking heater core, clogged ac drain, cabin filter, leaves clogging up the cowel.

While all the above can cause fogging, you may want to start with the most basic thing: clean windows.

Dirty windows fog much more quickly and easily than clean windows....especially if the vehicle is smoked in.

We had a 08 Toyota Matrix that did the same thing the whole time we owned the car.

It seemed to get worse when we had a new windshield put in for some reason.

We purchased a fog free window coating for the inside of the windows and that was the best solution, and cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
While all the above can cause fogging, you may want to start with the most basic thing: clean windows.

Dirty windows fog much more quickly and easily than clean windows....especially if the vehicle is smoked in.

Had a bad problem also. Pretty much disappeared when I used Armor All Glass Wipes on our two cars.
Don't know if it has some anti-fog stuff in it, but it sure worked very easily for me.

I think all the possibilities have been listed. And I've been through them all- stuck airbox diverter, clogged cabin air filter, coolant leak in heat exchanger. Another variation on that last one is, oil or coolant leak under the hood, getting up into the fresh air intake. Been through that, too. Most modern cars have a rubber seal to block that path of airflow. Check that rubber, too. Summing up:

1. Replace your cabin air filter (examine what you can while you're in there)
2. Check rubber airflow diverter at back of hood for presence and good sealing.
3. Clean the window thoroughly, treat with a anti-fog, verify in bright sunlight that it's clean, double-check your defrost settings.
4. Check for Sufficient Airflow at defrost vents.
5. Check that Heater heats at defrost vent
6. Check that A/C cools at defrost vent
7. Check for wet carpet on passenger side.

Then,
Wait and see if window gets slimed again. If it does, it's probably the heat exchanger leaking coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back