Rotate air filter every oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope

But I do vacuum the box inside as well as the filter from time to time

Nope.

Right or wrong, I've subscribed to the school of thought that the air filter should be disturbed as little as possible to avoid letting dirt into the intake. I also let the air filter run much longer than the prescribed interval, assuming it filters better as it gets plugged up.

Been proven time and again that your filter is best left alone until it needs to be changed out. I have filters clocking between 34-51k miles that still don't pop anything on the restriction gauge.

I used to remove the heavy stuff from the filter housings, but neglecting to do so has shown no detriment at all.

The seal doesn't like to be compressed and uncompressed especially once they age they don't seal as well. If you're going to disturb it just change it unless it's less than a couple years old. I changed based on time at 4-5 years before the gasket gets to hard.

It appears that the survey sez leave it alone until it's time to actually change it.

I agree that exposing that inlet below the filter more than necessary is not a good idea just as messing with the seal around the edges is not good, either.

I like to rotate my bulbs to even out the service life. i make more left turns then right so I will rotate bulbs left to right to extend their life. I also rotate my spark plugs and the air in my tires
laugh.gif

But on a more serious note - i don't see any benefit at all to this. Most filters are shaped such a way you can't rotate them anyway. I will occassionally shake out the air filter to dislodge loose dirt if it's still good but on here I've learned that is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Nope.

Right or wrong, I've subscribed to the school of thought that the air filter should be disturbed as little as possible to avoid letting dirt into the intake. I also let the air filter run much longer than the prescribed interval, assuming it filters better as it gets plugged up.
this. I put restriction gauges on my cars and only open them up as needed.

Last edited:
Nope.

Ditto....on both counts.

Nope.

I agree with the above. Also when i do change the filter, i wait and change it the day before an oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
But on a more serious note - i don't see any benefit at all to this. Most filters are shaped such a way you can't rotate them anyway

Back in the day when most cars had circular air filters, they would visibly build-up dirt on the inlet side. Rotating was a common thing back then.

I used to blow the filter off with compressed air, along with the housing, every 5K miles or so, if I wasn't using a K&N. Now I have a stash of cheap air filters from Rock auto, so I just change them out at 10K, or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back