6x9 speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a work truck, and the previous owner put in a Kenwood stereo with Kenwood 6x9 speakers in the doors. It's not terrible, but the bass is loose and flabby. I prefer well-defined lows, rather than the boominess im getting. I'm assuming better speakers would clean things up a bit. Any recommendations? I'd like to stay around a hundred bucks if possible.

Originally Posted By: Rand
What mounting depth are you working with.. or provide truck details.

1994 Dodge Ram 2500. Door mount.

Generally aftermarket 6x9's don't do all that well. The main purpose for them is just one part of a overall system. Most I've seen make a better tweeter then a speaker.

It can be hard to find a decent one. They all mainly just cover the highs. Mids maybe some but certainly not any lows.

If you feel up to it a little 10 inch sub can work wonders if you're not after a serious system. I wouldn't run a wiring kit in a work truck tho.

I would usually use 6x9s in the back. They tend to add power but not a lot of clarity.

If you're ok with spending a few bucks, pioneer 6x8 two ways at walmart are around 50-60 bucks. Get an adapter bracket to mount them to the 6x9 hole.

If you can relocate the 6x9s to the rear, or behind the seats, your sound will be where you want it to be without breaking the bank

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
Kenwoods are usually pretty decent.

Have you tried Dynamatting the doors?

Adding baffles?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B050381...amp;awug=200501

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
I would usually use 6x9s in the back. They tend to add power but not a lot of clarity.

If you're ok with spending a few bucks, pioneer 6x8 two ways at walmart are around 50-60 bucks. Get an adapter bracket to mount them to the 6x9 hole.

If you can relocate the 6x9s to the rear, or behind the seats, your sound will be where you want it to be without breaking the bank

They would fit behind the seats, I'd have to mount them in boxes.

If you put 6x9s in those tiny wedge boxes, you will go from muddy bass to no bass.

Does the head unit have a high pass crossover feature? I would filter out the really low notes.

Last edited:
Focal speakers are really good, and the OEM replacement models are reasonably priced. You need a sub for tight bass with any system, however.

Last edited:
Kenwood generally makes a decent speaker. If the speaker does not have any obvious signs of physical damage you may want to check to see if they are both wired in phase. Turn the fader all the way to the front, play the radio or other source signal at about middle volume and turn the balance all the way to the right side, then turn it all the way to the left side. If the bass improves with the system balanced to one side or the other, the speakers may be wired out of phase. If so, the easy way to correct it is to remove the speaker and reverse the wire connections.

Dynamat or its equivalent may help but in a large door cavity such as a Ram truck it could take a lot of material and time to cover the area to make much difference. It helps to do the inside of the door cavity plus the facing surface of the door itself. You might also look into 6x9 foam baffles. You can buy them on Amazon, or from Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix. Sometimes baffles help improve the sound, often they don't do much good. Baffles are a buy and try option, luckily they are inexpensive.

I personally have never been very impressed with the tone controls on Kenwood decks. Pioneer has the best sound quality I have heard in a long time. They have built in equalizers with separate bass boost and loudness controls and you can really dial in the sound you want. They also have high and low pass filters built in if you need that. Newer Pioneer decks have a 13 band built in equalizer which can provide even more tone control. I tried a new Pioneer deck in my Honda a while back, it had the 13 band eq but I really did not hear much difference between it and the 5 band eq on my other Pioneer deck. I think car audio as a whole is pretty stagnant right now but Pioneer has the best sound quality IHMO. You can get a good deck starting at about $80.00 on up from Amazon, Walmart, Crutchfield or just about anywhere else.

If you want to replace your Kenwood speakers for something better, take a look at Rockford. I tried a few different Pioneer and Alpine speakers in my Honda, did not like any of them. Then I bought 4 Rockford R165X3's and they sound great, light years better than any other speaker I tried, both in bass response and midrange/high frequency.

A few trucks ago i had the same setup. I used some infinity kappa 6x9, some dynamat, 4 channel amp and entry levek 10 inch sealed jbl subs. It did really well for the low cost.

Door and rear deck speakers really never sound great down low. I've found that regardless of speaker choice, filtering the bass out between 80-120 HZ improves clarity immensely. Then simply add in a real subwoofer that takes over from the 80-120 HZ crossover point.

Some external amps allow one to do this with integrated switches. Works wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back