Bearing Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion of the following two greases for motorcycle headsets and swingarms?

1. BelRay 99540 (Blue in a Blue tub) Aluminum Complex

2. Mobil 1 Synthetic (Red) NLGI #2 Lithium Complex

And why is one superior to the other?

I understand these are incompatible so assume that the bearings are dry and you are packing them with grease for the very first time.

Ofcourse, I would like suggestions of what you actually use in your bikes but could you also compare these two products.

Thanks

off road? either way if you are concerned about water belray waterproof is excellent. green stuff, it really holds up well.
i have used it in my huskies for years and its never dried out. lots of needle bearing and wheel bearings...im sure some other greases may lube a bit better..but i get good life with the bel ray water proof.

another bonus with it...zero dripping or melting in the summer. many greases like to melt from steering heads...get on the frame, fender, etc..

Justin,

Thanks. That was my concern with the M1 synthetic I have been using in my steering head...it bleeds in hot temps.

I have M1 loaded in my gun and have used it on my bikes forever with no problem. I don't think what kind is in those places is as important as in a high speed bearing. What you want is a grease that wont melt or migrate and resistant to water washaway. The chemists will answer your Why question better though than I.

m1 melts 10x more than any other grease I have ever used.

I am somewhat a M1 fan but not their grease.

There are videos and reasons why its superior.. but I cant handle how messy it gets.

I'll just use one of the other top 50 greases that DONT melt into a puddle. at 80f.
from my grease gun with the pressure released.. etc.

But this thread just reminded me I need to grease the jd212.. off to do that after it gets below 90f in the shade.. super muggy today.

I've had other greases leak a few drops out of the gun.. if stored hot.. ie trailer bearing grease while on vacation leaking out of grease gun.
The m1 was so bad I put it in a rubbermaid container.. in a couple grocery bags.. and was still leaking in the <70f basement.

I have heard positive reports of using an aluminum complex in applications exposed to water.

One BMW aftermarket website claimed that greases suitable for wheel bearings are not good for headsets and swingarms since these bearings do not revolve but rather oscillate. Is that advertising or legit? They were trying to sell grease with Moly. (Liqui-Moly LM-47).

I think everyone will have a different opinion, including mfrs, but in a steering heads I just don't think it much matters as long as there's something in there to keep the rollers from being exposed and hence corroding, and something that didn't run out all over the bike.

I inherited my Harley from my dad and whatever was in the steering head never separated, so I wanted to keep using whatever it was. I dabbed some out with a Q-tip and it was blue, and after researching I found that HD wheel bearing grease was also blue, and knowing my dad it's highly likely he used dealer service for everything. Therefore, I assumed this blue grease was the HD stuff. I've been using it ever since and sure enough it's never leaked a drop out of the steering head, and I live in Phoenix where it's in the scorching sun and heat ALOT.

I'm pretty sure it's a lithium complex grease but I don't know who actually makes it, surely not HD, but at least it's not marked up to bad, was like $8-$10 for a cartridge. Good, cheap, readily available.

I have been using stabilized polyurea grease in everything that it can be used in.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have been using stabilized polyurea grease in everything that it can be used in.

Can I ask your reasons for this decision?

I see it has excellent resistance to washout by water, but what makes it better?

Thanks

John Deere recommends it and John Deere make expensive equipment. Read up on the specs it is supposed to be the bees knees and lasts a long time.It has to be stabilized Polyurea grease

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
What is your opinion of the following two greases for motorcycle headsets and swingarms?

here is an answer you have not gotten:

i MIX them.
yes, i use both of these and mix it.
the red of the m1 takes over the color but it has worked extremely well in steering head/swing arm pivot and shock linkages for 2 decades now

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

here is an answer you have not gotten:

i MIX them.
yes, i use both of these and mix it.
the red of the m1 takes over the color but it has worked extremely well in steering head/swing arm pivot and shock linkages for 2 decades now

Every chart I have seen shows Aluminum Complex and Lithium Complex are incompatible.
confused.gif
confused.gif

and does it explode on contact with each other?
hahaha lol!!!
no wait it catches on fire
no it causes global warming
no it...works just fine

another old trick...mix m1 or belray with antisieze 10:1 ish

Last edited:
and does it explode on contact with each other?
hahaha lol!!!
no wait it catches on fire
no it causes global warming
no it...works just fine

another old trick...mix m1 or belray with antisieze 10:1 ish

It would be fun if it did explode and I agree dripping out of the bearings is no where near as dramatic...but damaging none the less.

This myth they are compatible is busted !
grin.gif

long time ago....'99ish i had tube of m1 and a tub of belray
i was looking at which i was going to use on my bike.
both being very good for what they do
why the heck not...i mixed them 50/50
have been since
the red m1 doesnt "melt" as easy in the summer heat
the green belray doesnt "dry" as much
add a dab of antisieze silver to make it pretty!
now you got a brew that works!
drag it through the mud and not worry

long time ago....'99ish i had tube of m1 and a tub of belray
i was looking at which i was going to use on my bike.
both being very good for what they do
why the heck not...i mixed them 50/50
have been since
the red m1 doesnt "melt" as easy in the summer heat
the green belray doesnt "dry" as much
add a dab of antisieze silver to make it pretty!
now you got a brew that works!
drag it through the mud and not worry

I am not doubting that you do this but one question I have is aren't the various metals in the anti-seize abrasive?

Also, the grease in the anti-seize has now introduced a third possible non-compatible product to the mix.

If you would just put on a white labcoat and some spectacles then I might have an easier time buying into this.
grin.gif

this is what i use
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ze-lubricant-2/

this is what i have ONLY ever used

right there it says its alum,cop,graph...so it should be very compatible with the belray.
and it also says its major function is:
A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing due to weathering or chemicals. Anti-Seize assures easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°C to 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant &#150; ideal for marine use. Non-aerosol version meets Mil Spec #907E. Aerosol – Level 3*

so, pretty much perfect
every bolt on my bike gets it. especially the bolts that hold the header to the head and suspenion

my white lab coat looks like a very very old mx jersey and has a waterhydration pack on the back
wink.gif

steve

this is what i use
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ze-lubricant-2/

this is what i have ONLY ever used

right there it says its alum,cop,graph...so it should be very compatible with the belray.
and it also says its major function is:
A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing due to weathering or chemicals. Anti-Seize assures easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°C to 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant &#150; ideal for marine use. Non-aerosol version meets Mil Spec #907E. Aerosol – Level 3*

so, pretty much perfect
every bolt on my bike gets it. especially the bolts that hold the header to the head and suspenion

my white lab coat looks like a very very old mx jersey and has a waterhydration pack on the back
wink.gif

steve

Thanks Steve.

Point well taken on the "lab coat"
grin.gif

Belray aluminum complex... been using it for years on my motorcycles (wheel, swing, link, stem, etc... bearings). Very tacky and washout resistant. For a "road" bike, honestly, any quality grease will do (lithium, calcium, aluminum). I would avoid moly on ball/roller bearings. On my off-road bikes, usually bearings fail due to water/dirt ingress and NOT failure of the grease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back