Neglected 2006 Altima 225k catching up maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Altima S 2.5 liter 4 cylinder,auto trans. Nothing but oil changes, tires, and new shocks/struts done in the last 75k miles. Not even sure that much was done in the first 150k. Has been sitting for about 6 months.

Trying to learn auto maintenance while also preparing this vehicle for sale. Figured that it would be good to learn on a car that isn't worth a whole lot and has plentiful parts available. I'd also prefer not to sell someone a death trap.

Discovered while trying to change plugs that there's oil seeping into two of the plug wells and at least one of the plugs appears to have the threads stripped (aluminum head) Have no idea if those plugs have ever been changed. It also needs a rear wheel bearing and the motor mounts need to be replaced. Transmission is strong. Engine strong as well; didn't skip even with oil in the plug wells. No rust at all.

Trying to come up with a plan of attack. Want to know which things I should leave alone and which I should do together.

1) Need to remove stuck spark plug somehow without breaking it off. Not sure how to do this.

2) Seals around plugs are not individually replaceable, so have to replace entire valve cover + valve cover gasket

3) Will likely need to rethread at least one spark plug socket. Since this will result in little bits of aluminum shaving falling into the head, I'm assuming after this would be a good time to change the oil & filter

4) Flush coolant, replace thermostat at same time

5) Have been told not to mess with transmission fluid on older cars like this if trans is working fine

6) Figured engine mounts & wheel bearing can wait until car is running again

7) Likely needs battery as the one in car was having real trouble starting car in the cold, which is why I stopped driving it

8) Needs front tires. May need rears due to sitting

9) Will check brake pads while I have car on jack stands for other work

10) Interior needs a good detailing, exterior needs a polish + wax

11) Have new plug wires to install at same time as plugs

12) Should power steering and brake fluids be flushed and refilled, or just left alone as long as they aren't leaking?

I know this car isn't really worth putting a ton of work into, but since I want to learn anyway this seemed a good way to do so while making sure the car I eventually sell will be in decent shape.

Anything I missed? Suggestions?

Should I flush the oil rather than just changing it? If flush,should I use an additive while flushing? Is something like Seafoam worthwhile to help clear away accumulated crud?

Timing chain, not belt. Fuel filter apparently not serviceable w/o replacing pump.

Thanks for any help

#1) Spray some penetrating spray (pb blaster) into the spark plug hole of the stuck plug and let it sit. Then carefully in very small turns, tighten and loosen the plug. That should break off the carbon and allow you to remove the plug.

That sounds like a good list. You may want to keep it when done.
smile.gif

You can get to the fuel filter from under the back seat. I don't think it's worth it.

My son's girlfriend had a 2006 Altima with the 2.5. Thing was indestructible. She hardly did any maintenance to it prior to dating him. I think the oil in the plugs is common with that car. I know he had trouble with that if they backed the car in at a slope. It's a costly repair so you might want to research it. I also thought he did something with the CAT upfront bypassed it with a header because they were a issue with that model. Car still ran good when she traded it on a 2014 Jeep Patriot at 275,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
My son's girlfriend had a 2006 Altima with the 2.5. Thing was indestructible. She hardly did any maintenance to it prior to dating him. I think the oil in the plugs is common with that car. I know he had trouble with that if they backed the car in at a slope. It's a costly repair so you might want to research it. I also thought he did something with the CAT upfront bypassed it with a header because they were a issue with that model. Car still ran good when she traded it on a 2014 Jeep Patriot at 275,000 miles.

From what I recall the converter disintegrates and the innards get sucked up in the engine. This in turn makes the engine consume crazy amounts of oil.

From an economics perspective, I'd sell it as is. Don't think you'll have a positive ROI doing all that work just too sell the car. Price it out and see.

If you break that spark plug or strip the head...

It's definitely worth it economically if I only count the cost of parts, not labor. Plugs, plug wires, wheel bearing, and valve cover w/gasket combined are barely over $200 total. Battery + 2 tires would be another $200. Already own a DA polisher and all the detailing stuff I need. Since I'm mainly doing this to learn, labor shouldn't be counted as a real cost. Fixing everything should take a car worth maybe $1000 and make it worth $2500 or so.

That 2.5 engine is really nice. It's quite strong for an economical 4 cylinder and can take some real abuse. If it works out, I might buy another neglected Altima off Craigslist to fix up and sell. It doesn't seem like a very hard car to work on.

Is the problem with the cat just due to age or is it due to rust? Car spent most of its life in CA so has no rust and has barely been exposed to road salt.

Some sources claim that a high mileage car like this switched from Dino to synthetic may start leaking oil. Should I stick with Dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back