MicroGreen filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 5,000 miles on the current MicroGreen oil filter on my 2017 6.2L GMC. Truck has 5,800 miles. A lot of this oil has been during the break in time but it still looks remarkably clean. I'll get a UOA done at the 7500 mark. They use semi-synthetic and say to change every 7500 in the manual, the dealer told me they liked 5k intervals though. Their website directs you to Amazon where it's about $11 including tax. Compared to the factory filter it's noticibly heavier built and slight taller which I'm guessing is for the bypass filter. Oil pressure has always looked good and haven't had any issues. I'm using the QSUD oil and completely happy with it. In the 100 degree Texas heat my engine had been humming along great. The QSUD also made it run quieter. I didn't think that was really a possibility but it has.

Just ordered my new filter to have on me for when it's time. I've never had oil look this good after 5,000miles so very impressed.

Spammy. Mmmmm....

Silly $35 oil filter with a green sock over it. That supposed to make the oil last 35k miles... LOLLLLLLL

Enjoy your denied warranty claim. I'll keep using my $7 oem filters that work just as well and renew the lube on schedule.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Spammy. Mmmmm....

Silly $35 oil filter with a green sock over it. That supposed to make the oil last 35k miles... LOLLLLLLL

Enjoy your denied warranty claim. I'll keep using my $7 oem filters that work just as well and renew the lube on schedule.

I paid $7 each for mine with free shipping. Not all have socks.
Denied warranty?? Whatever.

I think the MicroGreen is a marketing bypass filter, but not a real bypass.

No bypass will help extend an OCI when it comes to the additives that deal with acids produced during combustion and is measured as THAN.

The only soltion is to start with an oil where the TBN out of the bottle is 11 or 12.

Spammy. Mmmmm....Silly $35 oil filter with a green sock over it. That supposed to make the oil last 35k miles... LOLLLLLLL Enjoy your denied warranty claim. I'll keep using my $7 oem filters that work just as well and renew the lube on schedule.

Green "sock"? Are you talking about the paint? So what.
MG301-8_amz.png

You really don't know what you're talking about, DdDd.

Denied warranty claims? Thats ridiculous.

FlyingTexan, you made a good choice. Its a parallel path inside there, where a small percent, multi-pass over many miles, scrubs it down to 2 microns.
A Fram Ultra does get somewhat close to that, as it gets a lot of the 5 micron particles out. Yet the MicroGreen does well.
MicroGreen's main media is a decent glass fiber and cellulose blend, and its got a nice silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Donald

No bypass will help extend an OCI when it comes to the additives that deal with acids produced during combustion and is measured as THAN.

The only soltion is to start with an oil where the TBN out of the bottle is 11 or 12.

I really don't care about MG filters although I have 5 in use now. Have several more but filters aside real data from private users is on this board including my own posts. So no reason for theories as its all on here with UOA's as well and many cut pictures and failures of the non screw on types.

I'll pass on their spin on and cartridge filters. I'll stick with Fram Ultra. I'd rather deal with them in the very rare event of a problem with one of their filters.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4464691/Searchpage/1/Main/273595/Words/demarpaint/Search/true/Re:_After_use:_microgreen_cart#Post4464691

Originally Posted By: Donald

There are 2 paths inside the canister oil filters.
The first path goes through the main media, same as any synthetic-blend media oil filters.
The second path travels through a "cookie" disc that micro-filters the oil down to 2 microns.

Both 1st and 2nd paths go straight to the engine. No oil gets dumped directly into the sump. Its a parallel path. Some call a parallel path a "bypass" since a small fraction of oil bypasses the main media to go thru the cookie disc.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
He is talking about the cartridge versions and not the screw on cans.

I knew that. I can't believe someone thought GM V8s had the cartridge oil filters. That engine has never used those.

Cartridge MicroGreens are questionable. When they bunch up, or when they don't, you have to assume the green foam catches and holds small particles.
When bunched up, I could see how some flow would get through the bunched up part, and some tiny particles might lodge in there.

Elusive MicroGreen must provide some sort of test data. Shame on them for not. They try to sell these to fleets, so the cartridge oil filters would be a hard-sell if I was the fleet manager.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
He is talking about the cartridge versions and not the screw on cans.

I knew that. I can't believe someone thought GM V8s had the cartridge oil filters. That engine has never used those.

Cartridge MicroGreens are questionable. When they bunch up, or when they don't, you have to assume the green foam catches and holds small particles.
When bunched up, I could see how some flow would get through the bunched up part, and some tiny particles might lodge in there.

Elusive MicroGreen must provide some sort of test data. Shame on them for not. They try to sell these to fleets, so the cartridge oil filters would be a hard-sell if I was the fleet manager.

My beef with MG is that they are happy to sell you filters but when things go wrong they won't even email you back. Now I don't use any cartridges but I have asked them basic questions and got the blow off. So when my filters are gone I won't buy no more. I have one nearing 10k soon I will cut and post.

How does a filter fail? How will it cause engine failure? Just asking?

Last edited:
Don't care what kind of filter a Chevy takes, mine is a cart. With a foam sock over it!

On their front page they brag about 35k oci, which is borderline criminal to encourage considering the claptrap they're selling.

Whatever they put in their canisters, I'd trust even less. You can't even see what's going on.

This is not in any form a bypass filter. Even if it had a micron level media bypass its going to get clogged in almost immediately. True bypass filters have much more media than a flow through. And they only process a slow trickle of oil.

A FRAM ultra costs a dollar less and filters way better. How I know? They're a US conglomerate with published test results. Micro greed only alludes to their test results.

The OP has nothing but posts about his micro green. Make your own conclusions.

Whatever they put in their canisters, I'd trust even less. You can't even see what's going on.

We see. People have cut them open.

This is not in any form a bypass filter. Even if it had a micron level media bypass its going to get clogged in almost immediately. True bypass filters have much more media than a flow through. And they only process a slow trickle of oil.

Microgreen only puts a slow trickle of oil thru their cookie disc.
The difference is, most bypass secondary units route the trickle-oil right to the sump, so your engine gets less mass flow.
Microgreen sacrifices no mass flow, it all goes to the engine, both the main media flow and the cookie disc flow.

Clogged? Probably not since there is some depth filtering to hold some small amount. Others have assumed they clog the cookie disc. They do say change the filter every 10k miles, so maybe the MicroGreen canister does become a "normal" oil filter during the last half of the oil change interval. Maybe, we don't know.

Don't care what kind of filter a Chevy takes, mine is a cart. With a foam sock over it!

On their front page they brag about 35k oci, which is borderline criminal to encourage considering the claptrap they're selling.

A FRAM ultra costs a dollar less and filters way better. How I know? They're a US conglomerate with published test results. Micro greed only alludes to their test results.

Two good points. The Amsoil bypass filter is massive in size. So even if the MG could filter in the bypass section as well as a true bypass it cannot hold much.

And few oils can go 35k miles. If you try and go 35k you better do some UOAs along the way.

Large sumps of several gallons are the only places where doing the UOAs to see if oil should be changed or not makes financial sense.

Spammy. Mmmmm....

im wondering if you bothered actually reading anything I wrote. $11 for the filter and I'm at 5k miles on it with 5800 miles on the truck. I don't know where you got $35 and 35k but you don't read for [censored].

I have a feeling my education level is far greater than yours so I'll just say it.... you're wrong and I could do my best to sink to your level and explain it or just let it go. I'm going to just let it go. I posted this because I wanted others to knownits a great product that I've found to be exceptional. Don't talk without knowing. It wouldn't instantly clog because it has a smaller filtration ability which would cause more resistance this the oil would generally follow the path of less resistance=the main filter. I have an engineering background and see no fault in what they've stated thus far. But keep talking I guess.

Originally Posted By: FlyingTexan
I have a feeling my education level is far greater than yours so I'll just say it.... you're wrong and I could do my best to sink to your level and explain it or just let it go. I'm going to just let it go.

That's uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back