Overlanding in the Wild West!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trip out to Colorado and Utah was a success!
(Minus a broken ankle and having to skip mountain passes in CO because of it)

Our 2000 4Runner preformed great and got us into some wild areas and more importantly got us out!

The White Rim Trail, a 3 day/2night 100+mile off road trail through Canyonlands in Utah was intense! Much more technical than we originally thought and at several points I though "there is no way we are getting out of this alive, let alone with the truck still operational!" But our 4Runner pulled us out of some very very difficult, steep, rocky inclines that I am still shocked from experiencing!

Having the opportunity to work as a team with my wife to get through the most challenging terrain I have yet to come across was a true life changing experience. Our bond with each other and with our 4Runner has never been stronger. Now, laying in bed back in Philadelphia, nursing my ankle I busted while hiking in Ouray CO, I can't help but to dream of our future adventures and what wild places our 4Runner will take us too next!

The only issues we ran into was with climbing the mountains through Colorado. The Truck did NOT like the altitude and would regularly burp coolant from the overflow tank pressure release valve.

It chugged along however and for up and down the mountain range twice! Water temps hit 220 and trans temps hit 265!!!

A trans fluid swap was done before we left and Inwill be doing another this weekend.

Motor oil used for the trip out and for the White Rim was 5w30 Redline. At 3000 miles we changed it while in Moab to M1 0w40. That oil now has about 3000 miles on it and I will be changing it out with PUP 5w30 this weekend.

2w34bhy.jpg

5kjayd.jpg

2jb9jqd.jpg

2195254.jpg

2hrfhnr.jpg

15rciur.jpg

ve5hd1.jpg

dq3fo2.jpg

2wqy3gg.jpg

6te550.jpg

Sadly this Toyota did not make it out alive. I hope everyone was ok!
ve57uu.jpg

Wait a second... your entire post sounds suspiciously like a commercial advertisement for Toyota 4-Runners.
laugh.gif

Only ribbing you.

It sounds like it was a really great experience! Good luck on a swift recovery.

EDIT:
Your fluid changes appear to be unnecessarily short. That is money that could be going towards the little one's college fund.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Wait a second... your entire post sounds suspiciously like a commercial advertisement for Toyota 4-Runners.
laugh.gif

Only ribbing you.

It sounds like it was a really great experience! Good luck on a swift recovery.

EDIT:
Your fluid changes appear to be unnecessarily short.

Haha! Thanks!

Yes, I know the oil changed are short and could be extended. However I wanted to stick to 3k changes during the trip just because. I usually do 5k changes.

Incredibly awesome! I am envious of you!

Definitely don't worry about the temps you were seeing... They really weren't THAT bad in the big scheme of things.

Thanks for posting! That sounds like an awesome trip, glad to see the 4Runner made it. Do you happen to have any pictures of the sleeping quarters?

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Two of my favorite things on Earth: The Western US, and a 4Runner. Gotta get me one of those before I kick it.

It's on my list too! Either a 4Runner, or an older Toyota Pickup or Tacoma.

Sounds like a great trip. I backpacked down from the top and camped along the White Rim once. It would be cool to go around the whole island like you did.

Best wishes for a a fast recovery.

Greetings from a fellow 4runner owner. I also had a 3rd gen 5spd which was a beloved member of the family. We also love Utah and the Moab area in general. I recognized several parts of the White Rim Trail from your photos. I can't read the decals on the back, what is your website?

I'm going to stir up a hornets nest here, but having grown up and lived in the Rockies for many years, I am saying no vehicle of any kind should ever have been allowed access to the back country. A total disaster for the fragile ecology and it's evident any place you go.
cry.gif

Fun trip! How hot was it out there in Utah? Also the coolant issue doesnt sound good.... Try to make sure you top off with toyota red when you can!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Thanks for posting! That sounds like an awesome trip, glad to see the 4Runner made it. Do you happen to have any pictures of the sleeping quarters?

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Two of my favorite things on Earth: The Western US, and a 4Runner. Gotta get me one of those before I kick it.

It's on my list too! Either a 4Runner, or an older Toyota Pickup or Tacoma.

Nevermind! I just found your YouTube Channel (and subscribed!) with the video of the sleeping platform.
smile.gif

Nicely outfitted but no roof top tent? Did you sleep in the back?

Be careful, we visited out here from western Pa in 2004 and a year later we moved! Ain't never moving back either. No middle ground, either you love the SW or you hate it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Nicely outfitted but no roof top tent? Did you sleep in the back?

Be careful, we visited out here from western Pa in 2004 and a year later we moved! Ain't never moving back either. No middle ground, either you love the SW or you hate it.
To an extent, I am in the middle.

I absolutely love the Southwest and taking the Jeep out to remote locations in the desert. Arizona is a beautiful state. But I can't stand the summer heat. I'd say I lean more to loving the SW.

You grew up in Phx right? I was referring more to people who visit from anywhere else. We've had lots of guests in the 12 years we've been here and I can't think of any who were just "whatever" about the desert SW. Either love it or hate it.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
Greetings from a fellow 4runner owner. I also had a 3rd gen 5spd which was a beloved member of the family. We also love Utah and the Moab area in general. I recognized several parts of the White Rim Trail from your photos. I can't read the decals on the back, what is your website?

No Website. Just a Facebook page and Youtube account. You can find us at LetsGoOverland

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I'm going to stir up a hornets nest here, but having grown up and lived in the Rockies for many years, I am saying no vehicle of any kind should ever have been allowed access to the back country. A total disaster for the fragile ecology and it's evident any place you go.
cry.gif

I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

We did not go on any trails that where not already well established.

For example, the White Rim Trail has been in Utah for decades. It was a Native Indian trail before the US Government expanded it for mining operations for Uranium during the Manhattan Project.

We paid for our campsites, back country permits, and day entry fees all to the National Park Service. That money goes to maintain the National Parks, Conservation efforts, and to preserve the ecology that is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back