Canister filter surprise. Cts 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
No other changes were made. The new filter is a U.S. tough guard. The other was a Chinese import.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
The tough guard looks excellent after 750 miles and a few wot events.

Just to make sure, use a Fram Ultra that has wire-backing, the XG8765 in this application. Holds more dirt than Fram's ToughGaurd too.
71xhPbVuVjL._SX355_.jpg

Pics after 5000 miles.
Fram ultra is going in next!

r 5000 miles. New filter is fram ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks like it was bound in the housing and distorted by twisting it while screwing the cap on or off, probably off. When I install mine in a 3.6 Pentastar I lube the top and bottom plastic base along with the two O-rings so it won't bind.

I'd bet you're right. I'd pull the new filter in a couple hundred miles or so and see what it looks like.

This!

Originally Posted By: CT8
FRAM made in China. The filter says it all.
]]

Ouchhhh! I have such a high regard for the Ultra! China owns portion USA debt....

The oil change shops are buying tons of Made in China. They seem to go out of their way to do it. Prime Gard, Eco Gard, Fram if it says China, they like it too. Too bad a couple dollars is most important. It is strange the extra guard is made in China and the TG and Ultra not. They set up a factory in China just to make EG's? If someone gave me mainland China made filters free when I could buy USA for $15 each, I would throw them in the trash.

Mahle OX399D, Mann HU 69/3x, and Hengst E622H are all made in Germany
smile.gif

All three appear to be the exact same filter, and it is made by Hengst. But for some reason, the Hengst-branded filter actually costs more than Mann or Mahle, even though Hengst is the one that actually makes the filter!
crazy2.gif

And also surprising that GM doesn't use the Hengst as the ACDelco for this application, given that most of GM's cartridges are Hengst now!

Originally Posted By: fonecord2

they appear to be the same.

The Fram rep I remember said the Mobil 1 filter media was NOT like ANY other media. That was when Fram was with Champ Labs. I think I remember it right.

You know, running a filter too long will cause the glue at the top and bottom caps to fail eventually, especially when torque is applied. I doubt even that filter would have failed after 5000 miles.

The Fram in the E550 when I bought it looked like it would have collapsed too, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back