2016 Guzzi Stelvio 1200 could it be The One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer is accross the country from me (would have to do remote deal, have it shipped) has a left over '16 Stelvio 1200 for $5000 off msrp. Everything I've researched about the Stelvio 1200 I like. It's range (8.5 gallon tank @ 40 mpg), it's utilitarian Mad Max look, ease of DIY maintenance, CARC shaft drive, leg room (I'm tall). Not crazy about the color on the farings and tank but 2017 is last model yr for Stelvio's and not found others as deep a discount. Someone on Wild Guzzi forum (joined there to learn) said to make sure it doesn't have any fuel tank deformity from ethanol blended fuel sitting in it for a long time in the showroom.

Just have to get over butterflies about buying a bike not seen and sat on, no test ride, etc. On dealer trust and model research alone.

I assume there are agents/services who inspect bikes as there is for cars. For $100, $200, $300 or whatever, I would go that route if you can't ride it. Or a forum member?

If it's that good, why $5000 off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
I assume there are agents/services who inspect bikes as there is for cars. For $100, $200, $300 or whatever, I would go that route if you can't ride it. Or a forum member?

If it's that good, why $5000 off?

Because Stelvio's aren't selling well. None of the big Guzzi's are. They're old school low tech bikes in a market demanding all the newest electronic wizardry. With the Stelvio, all it's competitors are not only packing fancy electronics but also more hp and tq, and probably look prettier although that's subjective. Plus 2017 is last model yr-- Guzzi is discontinuing both the Stelvio and Norge 1200's. Found one dealership with a left over 2014 Stelvio, asking more money. 3 yrs sitting starts to approach risk of corrosion inside the engine though, if it's been started and let to idle so potential buyers can hear it run.

'Found one dealership with a left over 2014 Stelvio,'

^ This should give some insight as to how difficult it might be to acquire parts and service for the bike. There is one Guzzi dealership in N.C.! A friend bought a 10 year old low mileage California and prays something won't break every ride. The Guzzi's aren't exactly old school, with standard ABS, fuel injection, traction control etc. I would hate to walk by it in the garage knowing it would be 2 months before I received that 'special wigglin pin' that holds the 'special wobblin shaft' together because it's on back order from Italy. Nice bikes, but lack of dealer support, parts, etc would make me run far far away.

You do have a point worthy of serious consideration. I am still in the research process.

In other news when I was going out to my car after work an hour ago, dude rides by on a blue Honda VFR ... Good looking bike. It sounded like a sewing machine though.

If you like the VFR there is a shop in Madison Indiana that has a 2012 VFR1200 shaft drive bike that is still brand new on the floor. It's discounted down to like $8800 or something like that.

They are pretty unique bikes that came to market during a bad time. The VFR1200 is a great alternative to some BMW sport Touring bikes IMO.

You know, it's funny. I read a lot about how the Honda V4 engines sound so nice, but I just don't like them. I have a V4 Honda Magna, and while it's a nice bike, I just can't get behind the sound.

The Stelvio is a bike I've looked at, too. I've quite intrigued by them. Sort of similar in concept to my NCX, but obviously with a lot more power and yet (I think?) more range. I'm not super high on the air-cooled bit, though, because it's super hot here, I'm not excited about any potential heat on my legs from the heads, and I'm not sure whether the high ambient temps would shorten the engine's life or not. Plus, they're heavy (600lbs according to Goose), and perhaps top-heavy in particular. I'm still very intrigued, though.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
If you like the VFR there is a shop in Madison Indiana that has a 2012 VFR1200 shaft drive bike that is still brand new on the floor. It's discounted down to like $8800 or something like that.

They are pretty unique bikes that came to market during a bad time. The VFR1200 is a great alternative to some BMW sport Touring bikes IMO.

Is it a 1200F or 1200X. One I saw yesterday was a blue VFR1200F, looked up the 1200X and it looks an attempt at the Adventure segment. The Honda CTX1300's were also a bit of a market flop and can be had for low prices, but the styling.... meh.

If you do a fly and ride it could be a good adventure. That would also keep you from buying it if you didn't enjoy the riding experience. Either have a backup bike or 3 to buy, or fly home if necessary.

I think all the big block Guzzis are being discontinued. There won't be another chance to that kind of deal on a new one.

VFR1200X is also available discounted, and it's a competitor. Maintenance will be a lot more complicated on that one. Apparently it's common for used VFRs to have skipped valve check/adjustments because it's so expensive or so much work.

CTX1300 I think could have sold much better if it had electronic cruise control. Ditto for VFR1200X. People who try the CTX1300 really seem to like it. Maybe Honda should toured with a demo fleet to get people on their new and different bikes.

In several years ago I looked at a lightly used Stelvio, but rejected it due to the prodigious width. I didn't want to buy a bike for the touring I rarely do that wouldn't be suited to the commuting through heavy traffic I do more often. Though it's lane splitting abilities could probably be addressed with narrower bars and new mirrors (and new turn signals, since they're in the OEM mirrors), if that matters to you.

Originally Posted By: David_g
Though it's lane splitting abilities could probably be addressed with narrower bars and new mirrors (and new turn signals, since they're in the OEM mirrors), if that matters to you.

California is the only state where lane splitting is legal.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Is it a 1200F or 1200X. One I saw yesterday was a blue VFR1200F, looked up the 1200X and it looks an attempt at the Adventure segment. The Honda CTX1300's were also a bit of a market flop and can be had for low prices, but the styling.... meh.

It is an F the sport tourer

Originally Posted By: David_g

In several years ago I looked at a lightly used Stelvio, but rejected it due to the prodigious width. I didn't want to buy a bike for the touring I rarely do that wouldn't be suited to the commuting through heavy traffic I do more often. Though it's lane splitting abilities could probably be addressed with narrower bars and new mirrors (and new turn signals, since they're in the OEM mirrors), if that matters to you.

The wider the better !! One thing I didn't like about my 2016 Multistrada was Ducati made it skinnier (and lowered the seat height thus making more acute the leg angle to pegs) than the previous 2010 - 2014 gen. My 2013 Multi was more comfortable to ride for my build than the 2016 was.

If that new 2012 VFR was a DCT, I'd have made flight reservations today, at $8,800! Unfortunately, it's a '10 with a std tranny, and still $13k. Oh, well...

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
If that new 2012 VFR was a DCT, I'd have made flight reservations today, at $8,800! Unfortunately, it's a '10 with a std tranny, and still $13k. Oh, well...

I know one of the salesmen personally and he said in store it is marked down to $8800. You may call and talk to Roger. I thought it was a 2012, My apologies!

The worst part about buying a bike that old new is the tires are already too old to use really. It's a small town shop that's bread and butter is john deere and Stihl... their street bikes don't sell well

Last edited:
It's too bad for them they still have it sitting there. They always seemed like really nice bikes, to me. I think 1200 cc was just too big and too heavy for the VFR market.

Going to see if I can work a deal on the left over 2016 Guzzi Stelvio, we'll see if they will trim any off in fees or price. Got pre-approved for financing to show serious buyer, now going to talk numbers. They seem in a rush to seal a deal by last day of the month. Didn't think the business model for motorcycle dealerships was like some car dealers where they want to squeeze in deals before month end to hit a sales quota that nets them better terms or bonuses or whatever? Hummmm.....

I'd like to snag a killer deal on this one, but if not no big deal there are other fish in the sea. No sleep will be lost either way.

Guzzi's depreciate like a ton of bricks, looks worse than how bad Ducati's fall after leaving the showroom. Something to consider for sure but this is my keep long and DIY everything bike, it's why I ended up interested in them specifically is the ease of owner upkeep. Have a hard time beleiving it coming from Ducati but Stelvio owners swear the valve lash adjustment is a 10 minute job per cyl. On the Stelvio there's not even any fairing to remove in order to pull the covers-- it's all right there pull up a chair and go to it. Equally easy to remove the heads if need be.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I really like Guzzi's and I was chatting about them with a friend the other day, who happens to be a motorcycle mechanic.
He pointed out to me that Guzzi's actually have their oil filters inside the oil pan.
Just something to consider when thinking about DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back