PRNDL on its way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I have no particular use for the "START" button. Especially the one which leaves you little or no control over the cranking process.

I dunno, I'm getting used to it in my truck. Just blip the starter and it auto-starts. I can always tell when I've driven my truck for too long: I get into one of my other vehicles, and magically they have starting problems--until I realize, I actually have to hold the key to make 'em crank. First world problems.

Haven't had a push button start yet. I think I'd prefer to keep my key.
I haven't had push button start since 1952 on a 49 Ford. Haven't missed a thing.
smile.gif

My dad had a 56 Dodge V8 with the push button AT selector. Never really like it. Seemed kind of wimpy.I suppose if that is where the manufacturers are heading, I can live with it. My current vehicle with AT selector between the seats works for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm waiting for the lawsuits stemming from someone getting confused and not leaving the vehicle in park.

It happened with the recent Grand Cherokee shifter...

Yes and the 'fix" is awful! Now it self Parks for you and you cannot move the vehicle with the driver door open. I hate loading my wife's Jeep GC on my lift for oil changes because I can't open the door and see where I am on the lift - the vehicle jams into park once the door is open! All this inconvenience because some dumb butt failed to place it park and ran themselves over.

Last edited:
I prefer a conventional shifter but I've gotten used to the "beer tap" in my 2er. I love the push button start in the 2er, i3, and Mini; I never have to take my key out of my pocket. Of course in the i3 the button is essentially an on/off power switch.

Imagining you can somehow control a starting process on any newer car is really amusing. Almost any input you give will only screw it up.

I love our RAM and the way it handles stuff like this. The rotary knob is a huge space saver and extra convenient. The key fobs are smart, too, you can even lock one in the car if you have two at a time when you go out.

Always some trepidation about complication and failure but sure works great in the real world...

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Commercial trucks and buses had push button shifters for decades. Only issue going with a fully electronic shifter is no mechanical linkage if the battery dies.

I know on the Dodge Charger with the ZF 8 speed there is a strap you can yank on hidden next to the shifter that will mechanically shift it in to neutral. Although you have to go under the car to reset it when you get the battery going again.

One of the reasons some RV'rs like the RAM is if you get a 4WD version there is an unlocking scheme to put the vehicle in neutral so it can be towed with all wheels on the ground.

It's fairly elaborate, but great fun to watch. Any speed as long as you want...

This thread brings back memories.

I remember my dad's 56 Packard's push-button layout. Our driveway was on a steep hill, and you couldn't get the thing out of neutral and into reverse or drive because of some sort of vacuum tube monstrosity. You would have to take the parking brake off and have someone give you a nudge to get you rolling down the hill until the vacuum pressure was relieved enough to put into gear.

That lasted for about two years until (just long enough for Packard to close all of their dealerships) and my dad ending up getting (I think) an Autolite shifter in there which was pretty similar to what was in the Mercury that year. It bolted right up to the Packard transmission anyway.

I grew up driving three speed on the column. The first floor shift I ever had was my 1967 Superbee with a four speed Hurst shifter.

My personal philosophy was that an automatic should have a column shift and a manual should be on the floor under the center console. My 93 Crown Vic and my 97 Buicks had a column shifter and I loved the wide open expanse in the front seat unencumbered by frivolous shifter housing. But a manual by all means belongs on the floor.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
And how does one pronounce PRNDL anyway? Is it Prandall as in Randall, or Prundle as in grundle?
Always thought "prindle", but then I dope-slap myself for the attempt at pronouncing it.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Kind of going full circle aren't we!

I was thinking the same thing. I remember those "push button" starters. Everything old is new again.

As far as column shifts for automatics is concerned, I'd have to ask why a system that works perfectly well has to be changed.

I was at a car show yesterday and was looking at 2 old Fords, a '38 and a '39 I believe. It took a while to see the differences, which were subtle but looked worthwhile. Nowadays, I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
This thread brings back memories.

I remember my dad's 56 Packard's push-button layout. Our driveway was on a steep hill, and you couldn't get the thing out of neutral and into reverse or drive because of some sort of vacuum tube monstrosity. You would have to take the parking brake off and have someone give you a nudge to get you rolling down the hill until the vacuum pressure was relieved enough to put into gear.

That lasted for about two years until (just long enough for Packard to close all of their dealerships) and my dad ending up getting (I think) an Autolite shifter in there which was pretty similar to what was in the Mercury that year. It bolted right up to the Packard transmission anyway.

I grew up driving three speed on the column. The first floor shift I ever had was my 1967 Superbee with a four speed Hurst shifter.

My personal philosophy was that an automatic should have a column shift and a manual should be on the floor under the center console. My 93 Crown Vic and my 97 Buicks had a column shifter and I loved the wide open expanse in the front seat unencumbered by frivolous shifter housing. But a manual by all means belongs on the floor.

I'd be okay if everything was on the column!

Back when the base transmission in most cars was a manual shift, the switch from a floor shifter to a column shifter was considered to be a nice upgrade.

In my opinion floor shifters should be reserved to manual transmissions and transfer cases. I'd like to see cars with a column shift option or make the move to push button for automatics.

Looking at you Toyota. Your "gated" A/T floor shifter isn't fooling anyone. It's one part I instantly loathe whenever I step into a later Toyota and have to look at the shifter to go down-right-left-down-ffffuuuu to drive whereas I can swing down a column shifter and know it's in drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back