How are magnetic drain plugs made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught a lot of flack some time ago for posting something I read about oil filter magnets, and shared it here. It might have even been posted here several years ago. This coincides with what Ducked said about magnetic drain plugs. I read there is a risk of magnetizing ferrous metal and it escaping from the magnet, magnetized, and attaching itself to the crank shaft, cam shaft or other part made of ferrous metal causing damage until it gets freed and trapped by the magnet, or a filter. That had me wondering about using filter magnets and magnet drain plugs. I haven't given it much thought again until now.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

My point I guess, is that metals left in the oil cause 'secondary' wear.

Don't deny that. but as I said, the post I was responding to was suggesting using magnets to enhance metal removal by an oil drain, and that doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

My point I guess, is that metals left in the oil cause 'secondary' wear.

Don't deny that. but as I said, the post I was responding to was suggesting using magnets to enhance metal removal by an oil drain, and that doesn't make sense.

OK, good point, - by an oil drain

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I caught a lot of flack some time ago for posting something I read about oil filter magnets, and shared it here. It might have even been posted here several years ago. This coincides with what Ducked said about magnetic drain plugs. I read there is a risk of magnetizing ferrous metal and it escaping from the magnet, magnetized, and attaching itself to the crank shaft, cam shaft or other part made of ferrous metal causing damage until it gets freed and trapped by the magnet, or a filter. That had me wondering about using filter magnets and magnet drain plugs. I haven't given it much thought again until now.

I've posted this a few times. It's the only mention I've seen in print of the potential problem of magnetised wear particles. Hard to tell how big a problem it is, but I'd guess magnetic removal is probably a net gain.
I'd think its potentially more of a problem with the magnets inside the filter, and to a lesser extend drain plugs and pan magnets, and less of a problem with the oil filter external bandoliers.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/781/particle-contamination

"Magnetic Susceptibility. Permanent magnets are used in some filters and online wear particle sensors. Particles of iron or steel that are attracted to a magnetic field are preferentially separated from the oil by these devices. Later, any particles that may have sloughed off these separators and sensors (due to shock or surge flow conditions) are often left magnetized. They can then magnetically grip onto steel orifices, glands and oilways restricting flow or simply interfering with machine part movement. Additionally, directional control and servo valves commonly used in hydraulic systems deploy the use of electro magnets in their solenoids. The actuation of these valves can be adversely affected by the magnetic susceptibility of iron and steel particles that are attracted by the solenoid."

I've posted this a few times. It's the only mention I've seen in print of the potential problem of magnetised wear particles. Hard to tell how big a problem it is, but I'd guess magnetic removal is probably a net gain.
I'd think its potentially more of a problem with the magnets inside the filter, and to a lesser extend drain plugs and pan magnets, and less of a problem with the oil filter external bandoliers.

"Magnetic Susceptibility. Permanent magnets are used in some filters and online wear particle sensors. Particles of iron or steel that are attracted to a magnetic field are preferentially separated from the oil by these devices. Later, any particles that may have sloughed off these separators and sensors (due to shock or surge flow conditions) are often left magnetized. They can then magnetically grip onto steel orifices, glands and oilways restricting flow or simply interfering with machine part movement. Additionally, directional control and servo valves commonly used in hydraulic systems deploy the use of electro magnets in their solenoids. The actuation of these valves can be adversely affected by the magnetic susceptibility of iron and steel particles that are attracted by the solenoid."

I could see that in a transmission, where the filtration is not as good. But transmissions have had magnets for decades.

With an oil pan bolt magnet, any magnetized particles should adhere to the pan itself, or be caught by the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I could see that in a transmission, where the filtration is not as good. But transmissions have had magnets for decades.

Which proves nothing either way, unless you've seen the results of tests validating the practice.

With an oil pan bolt magnet, any magnetized particles should adhere to the pan itself, or be caught by the oil filter.

Yeh, might be a non-issue, dunno

However, there's no "should". A magnetised particle will stick to anything ferrous that it comes close enough to where the flow is insufficient to dislodge it. Could be the sump, but could be elsewhere, though hopefully oil flow will keep critical areas "swept".

Re "caught by the oil filter" part of the attraction (fnar fnar, geddit) of magnetic removal is that, unlike standard filters, there's no lower size limit on removal, so a lot of the particles are going to be below the filtration limit. I suppose they might clump bigger though.

I made 2 this evening. I started with a 15/64 bit in case there was some bit wobble. It was too tight, so i did use a 1/4 inch bit. I eyeballed the center on the drill press. Used JB weld. Thats as close as i could set the plugs together as they were repelling each other.

These magnets do chip if you let them smack together.

1/4 by 1 inch samarium cobalt magnets.

Last edited:
Interesting! However; the OEM drain plug from Mitsu for my Montero is magnetic? You certainly make a good point.

Cheers,

Pajero

I made 2 this evening. I started with a 15/64 bit in case there was some bit wobble. It was too tight, so i did use a 1/4 inch bit. I eyeballed the center on the drill press. Used JB weld. Thats as close as i could set the plugs together as they were repelling each other.

Interesting engineering you did there. This gave me a good idea. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: Artem

Interesting engineering you did there. This gave me a good idea. Thanks!!!

I used samarium as they do not get weak when hot.
I'll post a pic when i change the oil in my sons elantra. It went in with only 250 miles on the new car, so i expect to catch some paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back