2001 Odyssey transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put three OE remans in one of these before I got a good one, they didn't last long then just failed without warning. I would have paid someone double the 2500 to relieve me of that nightmare, transmissions were going in and out like a fiddlers elbow. Honestly IMO it may be a blessing in disguise.

Considering that the van is in good condition overall I would put a rebuilt transmission in it without blinking an eye. Would I replace a transmission in a car I don't care about? Um, no. New transmission is still cheaper than car payments!

The problem with those transmissions was not a popped torque converter, it was something else IIRC. My 02 lost the ghost too at about the same mileage. One thing you should try is go to the dealer and ask them to call Honda and inquire about the good will program. I had mine replaced by Honda for 500 dollars. They did this for a lot of customers. But, you got 135K plus miles out of a transmission, I wouldn't necessarily say that all Honda's are junk. Yeah, I know, look at my vehicle list, pretty much all Honda's. But, if you got the time, let me tell you about that F150 and what all I've had to do with it....4X4 went out, exhaust manifold went out, door lock problems, window problems, sunroof wouldn't close during a tornado....only got 88K on that thing. Seems like we all expect our cars to last 300K nowadays, but things happen.

As the former owner of a 2000, clear the code and unload it.
Ours made it to 80K before transmission and rear door problems reared their head.
Fortunately, I did well on a trade. I would have traded it anyway. I could never have sold that van privately with a good conscience.
"Happy wife, Happy life" protocol led to the purchase of our 2006 new.
Fortunately, the next generation was a vast improvement.

Take a look into WTR Transmissions in Buford, GA; they only remanufacture Honda/ Acura transmissions & offer a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. Very competitively priced too.

Agreed, the OP made the right decision.

If it were a rebuild on a GOOD transmission it might be worth doing. But doing it on an INFERIOR transmission is a dicey proposition at best.

Odyssey's of that era go through transmissions like wing restaurants go through napkins.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Agreed, the OP made the right decision.

If it were a rebuild on a GOOD transmission it might be worth doing. But doing it on an INFERIOR transmission is a dicey proposition at best.

Odyssey's of that era go through transmissions like wing restaurants go through napkins.

My sure the rebuilder implements the proper upgrades that made the trans to fail in first place.

My daughter sold the Odyssey to the same used car dealer where they just purchased my granddaughter's 2015 Corolla for her first new used car. The dealer was great, the new to her Toyota has been great and they have nothing but good things to say about this place. Good by Odyssey. It was a great mini van until the Honda transmission hex struck. If they buy another mini van in the near future I think it's going to be a Toyota.

It sounds like she did good. Honda is a weird company, on their bikes they used good quality materials throughout, the workmanship, fit and finish was very good but the cars and vans are another story.
Toyota and Subaru take a different approach, they don't seem to mind going cheap where you can see it and feel it like interiors, tin can fenders, cheap grills, etc but where it counts they spend the money.

I have repaired quite a few Toyota and Subaru cars that had what looked like relatively hard hits but once the damaged sheet metal was removed the monocoque had little or no damage, the body alignment jigs fit in all the right places meaning the structure that holds the suspension and cradle were fine, just cosmetics.
Honda on the other hand is a different story, If you can see and feel it its obviously better quality materials but where you cant see it they go cheap, real cheap.

Those electric sliding doors on the vans seem to be a great thing until they break, once you open it up there are poor quality latches and modules in there that can cost hundreds of dollars total and are non repairable. Body integrity is not as good as the others, they cheap out where no one but a body repair man will ever see.
Nissan with the exception of their Infinity line, Z cars and Godzilla are not even worth talking about, they are just lower quality through and through.

Agreed above. I had the door interior off of a late model accord recently to chase rattles and was surprised to find.... there's no metal on the interior. There's skin, a crimped frame, and impact bar, and foam to fill the gaps. Then the interior liner. But no metal on the inside of the door.

Gen 1 odyssey story. Agree with the power doors, and to my surprise they will NOT latch when the motors fail and you close them by hand.

BUT-- the crash-worthiness of that gen 1 minivan was fantastic. I watched as a durango T-boned my wife's Ody with the kids in it--- packed to the gills as we moved out of an apartment. Durango hit it at 40-45 through a red light, no brakes. The memory of it still gets me today, as I was following behind.

First, everyone walked away.

Both LH doors were caved in up to the impact beams. Even the floorpan and roof sheetmetal showed the first signs of wrinkles. The drivers seat belt was jammed and would not retract.

BUT--- I sewed the driver's seatbelt into the right length (I used to sew webbing for rock-climbing) and proceeded to drive the van for 2 weeks with the side collapsed. It still drove as if it were on rails. Drove straight, carved turns, didn't miss a beat. I was very grateful for the integrity of that van - it saved my family's life.

-m

Last edited:
My parent's neighbors had one of the first production run Odysseys when Honda decided to make a US-specific version and they had the transmission go out. The van wouldn't kick into gear, AAA had to tow it out of their garage, from what she told me seeing them having to use a winch to get it out of the house because the tranny was locked up was like dragging a cat off carpet.

It was a good van besides from that problem, it was surprisingly fast.

They do have good side and front impact protection, they want a good crash safety rating but that's not what I am talking about. Take a small hit in the front corner for example, the part of the shell that holds the radiator support is very weak causing the radiator support to twist and damage the radiator, the condenser support is not one piece on top they cut the middle out to save weight and money, it doesn't take much to stove the corner of the condenser into the radiator.

My point is a very light hit that is usually a low cost repair can cost many times more on these vehicles and it shouldn't, any car is going to get totaled in a major crash and occupant safety is the most important thing but most minor accidents usually result in minor damage that are much more expensive to repair on some cars than others.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Toyota and Subaru take a different approach, they don't seem to mind going cheap where you can see it and feel it like interiors, tin can fenders, cheap grills, etc but where it counts they spend the money.

So true.

Of my last 3 late model Subarus, all of them have pop can thin body panels. The hood sheet metal is so thin that the hoods giggle when stopped at idle. On the flip side of all this, we've had a few older Subarus in the family with rear subframes so rotted, you could poke a screw driver right through it. Yet they went down the road straight and true and took bumps and lock/lock turns like nothing was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back