SUBARU CROSSTREK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad your wife is happy. It seems the 50+ crowd loves this thing.

I honestly don't get it when you compare the price, comfort, power, and better MPG of an Outback. My dad spent $23.5k on redesigned 2016 Outback base model for price comparison. Not as fancy but really nice.

We bought a 14 Crosstrek new three years ago for my wife. Has 56k miles on it now. Haven't had any problems with it. The only things I've done to it are oil changes and one set of rear brake pads. It doesn't use a drop of oil in between changes.
I think it's slow and a bit underpowered and I don't find it fun to drive. The interior is a bit small. We're probably going to trade it for a minivan soon, now that we have a second kid on the way.

I should mention that I received a notice from Subaru that they've extended the warranty on the CVT to 10 years/100k miles. That kind of gives the impression that they're prone to problems.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Subarus are great cars if you do not mind the oil leaks head gasket replacements etc.

Still waiting for that to happen on parents 2000 Forester with 200k and my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo wagon with 220k......

My wifes new 2017 is not slow at all around town. Maybe WOT, but not around town. 0-40 in about 3.5 seconds with light throttle. CVT is excellent; programming Locks out torque converter at maybe 5MPH so no SLUSH. This and the high overdrive is where the economy comes in. She hates an auto, and never owned one, but the 5 speed MT didn't have the double overdrive of the forester 6MT, and would be revving too much on her highway commute. She averages 36.5. 60% highway. Stunning for an AWD auto weighing in at a tonne and a half plus.

She doesn't like the car though, esp after stepping down from the Forester 6M - which was about 1500 bucks (!) less than a lower trim CrossTrek with its circus dooh dads and whizzy trinkets of little value. She likes the extra headroom and more "airy cabin in the forester. And the Stick!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Good point. Initial throttle tip-in results in a strong, quick pull to about 10 mph and from there power feels as if it's in constant decline.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
How many Subaru fans we have out there? My wife really wanting this car. She currently has a 2013 Ford Edge. This is a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. Really nice looking car. Its around $28,000 out the door fully loaded.

I've had my 2017 Crosstrek Limited w/EyeSight for three months and 5,500 miles. I love it. Great visibility, great seat height for easy ingress/egress, easy to use radio controls and HVAC controls. It has a tight turning radius, and the car is sized for very easy driving and parking in congested and tight city driving and parking.

My wife, in-laws and I drove to Vancouver Canada two months ago, I did all the driving and I was never uncomfortable.

This is my first Subaru, and after three months of ownership I am very happy with my Crosstrek. I actually look forwards to driving it, and my wife takes it when she runs errands around town, or going to busy outlet malls and shopping centers because it is so easy to drive and park. My wife loves the Crosstrek, even though it is a lot slower than her SUV.

https://flic.kr/p/Z3jaGg

Last edited:
I don't know what specifically you are looking for in this vehicle, but for $28K, I wouldn't buy Crosstrek for various reasons. Few being, mileage, and interior space volume. We got Forester Premium trim with EyeSight 3 years ago. I wanted a limited trim for better music system but with EyeSight, navigation will be installed and Subaru maps are pretty subpar (and I didn't want to pay every year to update the maps). So I would have never used them anyways and didn't want to pony up $1000 just for that package.

Instead, I would buy a Forester Premium trim with EyeSight and put best quality aftermarket stuff on it. Outback Premium w/ EyeSight would also work great in 28K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back