Windshield Tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
A discussion on this forum reminded me that I wanted to check into this for my 2012 Mazda3. Being a hatchback and having a huge windshield I have found for the past five years that the A/C just barely overcomes all the heat hitting me in the driver's seat. I haven't been very happy on 100° days. When I first got the car my favorite tint shop said that they had not started tinting windshields yet and I basically forgot about it after that. I just had it done Monday with 80% ceramic tint with 43% heat rejection. What a noticeable difference it made. I can now use the A/C on a lower setting, in the fresh air mode (recirculate didn't help noticeably in this car) and be comfortable. The air does come out of the vents at 43° but the capacity was being taxed by all the radiant heat.

It cost me $150. If it is legal in your state I highly recommend it. On top of the heat rejection it blocks 99.9% of the UV which should help outdoor cars avoid dash fading.

Which specific film did you get?

I just had 3M Crystalline 70 done on all of my windows EXCEPT the windshield.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Was there any brand name of that 80% ceramic tint film?

Llumar Air Blue 80 is a great choice for this application.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I agree.

I have 70% on my front windows and 50% on the rears. The windshield is untouched as it's against the law up here to add anything to it. If we were allowed to, I'd willingly go 70-80%

I looked at the Llumar Air versus 3M Crystalline for my car. The 3M has better performance for the same light transmission (higher solar energy rejection and better glare reduction).

I'm very happy with the 3M stuff. The windows don't even look tinted but it does help keep the interior cooler.

Exactly. Have it on both my cars. Can't even visually tell it's there.

It is illegal here technically, but you seriously can not tell. For those worried, they make two lighter versions now, Air 90 and Au 85.

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/llautospecifications_20140715_0.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
its legal in Texas?

Yes. The tint laws were changed around 2009. Prior to that you could get the windshield done if you provided a medical necessity letter.

This is the stuff I have - the tint shop I used said it is made specifically for windshields.

As long as it stays clear and the visibility doesn't deteriorate I guess it doesn't matter. But from my personal experience with tint films, not for the windshield though, is that the visibility does deteriorate slightly right away and only gets worse as the film ages.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
As long as it stays clear and the visibility doesn't deteriorate I guess it doesn't matter. But from my personal experience with tint films, not for the windshield though, is that the visibility does deteriorate slightly right away and only gets worse as the film ages.

That is a strong possibility. I had my 89 Accord tinted in 1991 with the best quality "lifetime" film. Back then such films were laminated products. It never turned purple or bubbled, but after about 18 years the back window got blurry enough to bother me - due to delamination. I had to have the whole thing redone. Newer films are not made that way so they should last even longer. I guess time will tell. I don't plan to keep this car for eighteen years and the tint can be removed if it has to be. I was just tired of not being cool enough.

The Mazda3 has a bit of a weak A/C system, but I liked the driving experience enough to deal with it. Of all the cars I test drove in 2012 I thought the Hyundai Accent had the best A/C. I bought my son one of them used last year and it does have very good A/C performance.

Only the cheap films have problems with aging. Most of the medium-grade stuff and up is lifetime warranty against peeling and discoloring.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Only the cheap films have problems with aging. Most of the medium-grade stuff and up is lifetime warranty against peeling and discoloring.

Exactly. Modern ceramic tints will be fine. Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Have had the Blue Air 80 on the BMW for four years now. Still looks perfect.

Last edited:
Good idea - I had my previous SUV done with some kind of IR tint (can't remember what they called it).
With an hour or so each way to/from work, I need to consider my now DD windshield done.
I remember it making a big difference. I also had both front side windows done too. The rest was already tinted when I bought the vehicle.
Those triple digit temp days
eek.gif
I never seems to get used to them.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: E150GT
its legal in Texas?

Yes. The tint laws were changed around 2009. Prior to that you could get the windshield done if you provided a medical necessity letter.

So you have a clear "tint"?

Texas law says no tint on windshield except above AS-1 line.

From the Tx DPS site:
Quote:

Windshield

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

• Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
  • Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
  • Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
  • Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
  • A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

edit: nevermind, I see now what tint you used and read up on it. While it is technically not legal since it is not "un-tinted", seems you probably could get away with it pretty easily.

Still, unless like 99% clear, not something I want it on my windshield, and I know my wife would not (she was not crazy about stock tint on vehicles and 50% on side windows). I like being able to see as much as possible at night, and anything that reduces light coming in the windshield at night is not something I want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
edit: nevermind, I see now what tint you used and read up on it. While it is technically not legal since it is not "un-tinted", seems you probably could get away with it pretty easily.

Still, unless like 99% clear, not something I want it on my windshield, and I know my wife would not (she was not crazy about stock tint on vehicles and 50% on side windows). I like being able to see as much as possible at night, and anything that reduces light coming in the windshield at night is not something I want.

I understand completely. That's why I went with the same shade on all the side and back windows five years ago. While you are allowed to tint the back windows darker than the front it interferes with visibility at night. The shade on the windshield is virtually unnoticeable to me except for the amount of heat I feel hitting me in the midsection while driving westbound in the late afternoon.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I understand completely. That's why I went with the same shade on all the side and back windows five years ago. While you are allowed to tint the back windows darker than the front it interferes with visibility at night. The shade on the windshield is virtually unnoticeable to me except for the amount of heat I feel hitting me in the midsection while driving westbound in the late afternoon.

Exactly the same experience here. At night I find it does not change visibility at all. I hate dark window tint for that reason, and only have 50% on my side and rear glass.

For people who are unsure, could always get a test piece from the installer and put it on the passenger side and drive around and compare before/after.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
For people who are unsure, could always get a test piece from the installer and put it on the passenger side and drive around and compare before/after.

What a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back