Factory car that can do a wheelie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi

So does that mean you believe it is a good handling car?

No, please re-read what I wrote. I'm saying that to satisfy the purpose of the car, which is optimal 1/4 mile performance, that handling is INTENTIONALLY and NECESSARILY compromised to achieve that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, please re-read what I wrote. I'm saying that to satisfy the purpose of the car, which is optimal 1/4 mile performance, that handling is INTENTIONALLY and NECESSARILY compromised to achieve that.

Grampi, Even after dropping 200 lbs for 2018, the thing still weighs 4,200 lbs! 400 lbs more than the ZL1 Camaro or the Shelby GT350! No....it doesn't handle very well.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Grampi, Even after dropping 200 lbs for 2018, the thing still weighs 4,200 lbs! 400 lbs more than the ZL1 Camaro or the Shelby GT350! No....it doesn't handle very well.

Yup, she's still pretty heavy.

Lol, no one knows how it handles, you've never driven one. I'll bet with the standard wheels it will handle better than you think.

Originally Posted By: ms21043
Lol, no one knows how it handles, you've never driven one. I'll bet with the standard wheels it will handle better than you think.

I'd bet it doesn't...

No, but I've driven its equally front-heavy sibling, the HellCat, and it feels less balanced than your regular plain-jane SRT. Putting drag suspension in it isn't going to make that better.

Of course as you've noted, we are talking about driving it with the street tires on it, not the fat/skinny drag tire setup that comes with it. The handling with that would be simply comical, LOL!

I don't think it is going to handle "poorly". I do however expect it to handle less well than the other two vehicles in the same family I mentioned, which is due to the intended purpose of the vehicle. In that context, expecting it to perform on a road course as well as other vehicles in its price bracket will likely result in disappointment.

Generally, the spring rates and damping setup for ideal weight transfer and subsequently performance at the drag strip are at odds with the type of setup that works properly for a road course.

I'd bet it doesn't...

From Tim Kuniskis head of passenger car brands at Fiat Chrysler:

On how the Demon will handle away from the drag strip: "Because of all the tuning that we've done on the suspension, and all the development work that went into the tire package, this car will actually pull 1 g on the skidpad. So the handling of it is amazing. The braking, it will brake from 60 to 0 in 97 feet. It'll actually brake harder and faster than a Viper ACR, so it's an amazing on-road muscle car, and you can go to the track and run times that no one else has ever run."'

Sounds like it handles better than the average airport rental Challenger.

I'd bet it doesn't...

On how the Demon will handle away from the drag strip: "Because of all the tuning that we've done on the suspension, and all the development work that went into the tire package, this car will actually pull 1 g on the skidpad. So the handling of it is amazing. The braking, it will brake from 60 to 0 in 97 feet. It'll actually brake harder and faster than a Viper ACR, so it's an amazing on-road muscle car, and you can go to the track and run times that no one else has ever run."'

I'd have to see that brick pull 1 g on the skidpad to believe it...I don't believe that for a second...

I'd bet it doesn't...

He touches on a key thing there: it come with extremely wide R-compound drag radials on it, I'd wager both of those mentioned metrics are highly affected by that fact. Those are going to be extremely sticky tires.

Yeah, it has sticky 315's all around on 18x11" light weight wheels, with that package it's bound to stick. And the dampers behave normally until you put the car into drag mode, so it's not a drag suspension util you want it to be. There's the liabilty thing also, even though the Nittos are drag radials, They were spec'ed by Chrysler. The sidewalls are probably a bit stiffer than a drag radial you buy from a tire shop. But even if someone threw a set Hoosiers on the car with plans to put it on a road course, they will probably find that the cooling system is not up to the task.

No one is buying the Demon to autocross it...lol. Who ever wants a road course car should wait for the Hellcat widebody.

Yeah, it has sticky 315's all around on 18x11" light weight wheels, with that package it's bound to stick. And the dampers behave normally until you put the car into drag mode, so it's not a drag suspension util you want it to be. There's the liabilty thing also, even though the Nittos are drag radials, They were spec'ed by Chrysler. The sidewalls are probably a bit stiffer than a drag radial you buy from a tire shop. But even if someone threw a set Hoosiers on the car with plans to put it on a road course, they will probably find that the cooling system is not up to the task.

No one is buying the Demon to autocross it...lol. Who ever wants a road course car should wait for the Hellcat widebody.

thumbsup2.gif

Few points here:

1. A skidpad number is not "handling." It's peak lateral acceleration with very gradual loading. Quoting a skidpad number and calling it "handling" is like picking up some nice silverware and calling it "fine dining". Understandable for a Head of Passenger Car Brands, but not exactly the most technically sound statement.

2. 1g at the skidpad with a 315-section DR is not even that impressive when a Hellcat can pull 0.92g with a 275-section summer tire.

3. Even if it were impressive, it's a peak number (i.e. the best achievable under ideal circumstances), and the difference between the peak and the everyday is going to be large for a DR.

4. Ditto the above for the braking number, given the Demon's smaller steel brakes.

5. Ditto x2 for the insane comparison with the ACR. Even if Kuniskis is right -- which is seriously doubtful unless he's comparing cold stops on both cars -- the ACR's bigger ceramics (and lower weight, and better weight distribution, and aero) will make that comparison look awfully silly after a few braking zones on a real course.

5. Yes, the dampers can switch modes for the strip vs. everything else. But the springs and sway bars are much softer than on the Hellcat, and those are static. The commonly reported numbers are 35% softer front springs, 28% softer rear springs, 75% (!!) softer front sway bar, and 44% softer rear sway bar. (example source) Those are significant changes. To say "it's not a drag suspension util you want it to be" just isn't true. It's as soft as they thought they could get away with, and Dodge reprogrammed the dampers to try to make up at least some of what they had lost.

6. Chassis-wise, the one thing that's really on the Demon's side here is the weight reduction. >200 lbs ain't nothing. It's not a game changer for a 2-ton car, though.

Overall, I'm sure the Demon is no slouch in a corner. "Better than a Hellcat" seems like a bit of a stretch, though I can see that point being arguable, depending on what aspects of handling you value. Just trying to keep it real.

P.S., here's a source for what ms21043 pasted here.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Few points here:

1. A skidpad number is not "handling." It's peak lateral acceleration with very gradual loading. Quoting a skidpad number and calling it "handling" is like picking up some nice silverware and calling it "fine dining". Understandable for a Head of Passenger Car Brands, but not exactly the most technically sound statement.

2. 1g at the skidpad with a 315-section DR is not even that impressive when a Hellcat can pull 0.92g with a 275-section summer tire.

3. Even if it were impressive, it's a peak number (i.e. the best achievable under ideal circumstances), and the difference between the peak and the everyday is going to be large for a DR.

4. Ditto the above for the braking number, given the Demon's smaller steel brakes.

5. Ditto x2 for the insane comparison with the ACR. Even if Kuniskis is right -- which is seriously doubtful unless he's comparing cold stops on both cars -- the ACR's bigger ceramics (and lower weight, and better weight distribution, and aero) will make that comparison look awfully silly after a few braking zones on a real course.

5. Yes, the dampers can switch modes for the strip vs. everything else. But the springs and sway bars are much softer than on the Hellcat, and those are static. The commonly reported numbers are 35% softer front springs, 28% softer rear springs, 75% (!!) softer front sway bar, and 44% softer rear sway bar. (example source) Those are significant changes. To say "it's not a drag suspension util you want it to be" just isn't true. It's as soft as they thought they could get away with, and Dodge reprogrammed the dampers to try to make up at least some of what they had lost.

6. Chassis-wise, the one thing that's really on the Demon's side here is the weight reduction. >200 lbs ain't nothing. It's not a game changer for a 2-ton car, though.

Overall, I'm sure the Demon is no slouch in a corner. "Better than a Hellcat" seems like a bit of a stretch, though I can see that point being arguable, depending on what aspects of handling you value. Just trying to keep it real.

P.S., here's a source for what ms21043 pasted here.

Great summation! Pretty much what I was trying to say earlier, but you've touched on all the little details point-by-point. I don't think it is going to be a poorly handling car, but the springs are drag springs, which are at odds with springs used for handling. And yes, then you get into swaybars and other fun stuff... The car is intentionally compromised for the best 1/4 mile performance. That doesn't make it bad or mean that it is like driving a '72 El Dorado around corners, but that compared to its more balanced siblings that lack those compromises that on the same rubber, it would not handle as well. Of course it doesn't ship on the same rubber, but we've covered that.

Thanks, OVERKILL!

Slight correction: I kind of threw the word "peak" around a bit too casually there. I think most people will know (or be able to figure out) what I meant, but I should have been more careful. The worst example is in point #1; I should have said a skidpad tests maximum sustained lateral acceleration. That's a "peak" in the sense of "maximum achievable" in a certain set of circumstances, but the phrase "peak lateral acceleration" sounds more like the momentary peak that a car can achieve in a corner (which is often much higher than the skidpad number).

But yeah. Pretty sure we agree on the important bits.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Thanks, OVERKILL!

Slight correction: I kind of threw the word "peak" around a bit too casually there. I think most people will know (or be able to figure out) what I meant, but I should have been more careful. The worst example is in point #1; I should have said a skidpad tests maximum sustained lateral acceleration. That's a "peak" in the sense of "maximum achievable" in a certain set of circumstances, but the phrase "peak lateral acceleration" sounds more like the momentary peak that a car can achieve in a corner (which is often much higher than the skidpad number).

But yeah. Pretty sure we agree on the important bits.
cheers3.gif

cheers3.gif
I am sure we do
smile.gif

Thanks for pointing that out. Bench racing is pretty silly and generally enjoyed most by the uninformed...

From the article (emphasis added):
Quote:
...the active suspension system and the 315mm-wide Nitto tires offer a remarkably smooth ride on the rough roads and impressive handling in the turns. When set to Sport mode, the ride quality is similar to the Hellcat cars, with the right amount of stiffness. The thicker sidewalls of the Nitto drag radials actually mute the bumps in the road a bit better than the lower-profile Hellcat tires, while still sticking the Demon to the corners very well. The Nitto tires on the Demon have unique sidewall construction for improved road handling, and when cutting through some of the back roads around the drag strip, this Challenger hugs the road nearly as well as the Hellcat. There is obviously a bit more sidewall play when you really get to hammering the corners (compared to the Hellcat), but the difference is minimal enough that most owners won’t notice it unless they also spend lots of time driving a Hellcat car with the larger wheels and low profile tires.

Quote:
I would go so far as to say that the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon offers a smoother ride than the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with just a slight compromise in road handling...

Seems weird that the author would chalk so much up to the sidewall given the other suspension mods. That kind of makes me want to disregard the conclusions.

That said, this assessment does make a lot more sense than Kuniskis's comments. The pattern described -- smoother ride, slight but perceptible handling compromises -- is exactly what you'd expect from the Demon's handling-related mods: much softer springs and sway bars, taller sidewalls, wider and stickier tires, and compensatory damper tuning.

If this is true, then what OVERKILL and I have been saying is correct: the Demon isn't going to handle terribly by any means -- though, depending on what you value, it IS going to be equal or worse vs. the Hellcat, which wasn't exactly a shining example of chassis excellence to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back