Fram HP1, high volume oil pump, better filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In reference to the 92 GT in signature. Engine builder recommended Fram HP1 back in 2001. The engine has a high flow oil pump. 10W-40 Royal Purple. I change the oil every 3000 miles(I don't get a chance to drive it very often). Would a "better" filter be an option I should explore? My concern is the high volume oil pump with a different filter(possibly more restriction?) I have an M1 filter should I use it or something else or just stick with the HP1? Thanks for any advice.

I'm running an hp1 on my cougar, 408 stroker, high volume oil pump. I will use hp1 and ultras.

Last edited:
The Fram HP series are high flow filters designed for racing applications so your engine builder was right on the money.

Originally Posted By: 555
The engine has a high flow oil pump. 10W-40 Royal Purple. I change the oil every 3000 miles.... with a different filter(possibly more restriction?)

You are WAAAY over-thinking this. Even the short FL-300 will adequately flow what you need it to.

The stock Motorcraft FL-1A is very large, and will never go into bypass unless you are stone cold and go full throttle.

I honestly cannot think of one single reason why you might "need" a HP filter.
Not one.
And I have close to 100 289's, 302's, 347's, 351's and other notched in my belt.

Your biggest worry? Honestly, the roll pin that holds the distributor gear to the distributor shaft SHOULD BE your "biggest worry".....I've changed a dozen already in 25 years, and the HV oil pump was always the cause.

....and the oil pump driveshaft, too. It's a real weak point.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Any reason for the high volume pump? I would think factory [oil pump] is more than adequate if its not shot.

It usually is.
Crank/rod bearing clearances usually dictate which to use.
99.99% of "street" engines do *NOT* need a HV oil pump.

I have found MORE OFTEN than not that a HV oil pump only eats HP, distributor gears, oil pump drive shafts, etc.
Anyone with real engine building experience will typically advise against using one.

Thanks for the responses. At the time, 16 or 17 years ago I was going to have a supercharger put on at a later date. Paxton,Vortech and Procharger(SQ) were competing for customers money and I hadn't made a decision yet. I was overly concerned with overheating and put a 7 quart oil pan on there along with the high volume oil pump(HVOP). The engine also has underdrive pulleys from before, so maybe that helps a little. The engine builder has since passed away, rest in peace Bob Pucel, so I would ask him first if I could.
If I do install a super or turbocharger should I still dump the HVOP?
The car has never had an overheating issue, put in new radiator with engine build.

Run it as is. Usually Racing type filters biggest benefit is the higher burst strength. What is yourMaximum cold oil pressure?

Some SC's use engine oil for lube, some don't.
A turbo definitely does. It isn't hurting anything as seldom as you drive it.

Yes to above post by CT8 - higher burst strength is the only benefit. You'll pop your electric oil pressure sending unit before you pop any oil filter, though.

Go for better filtration. Leave the racing filters tot he guys with straight 50 oil.

Donaldson and Amsoil (just a Donaldson with amsoil sticker) make excellent filters.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Run it as is. Usually Racing type filters biggest benefit is the higher burst strength. What is yourMaximum cold oil pressure?
Oil pressure is always high but in the normal range when cold. Then it drops off to the middle of the normal range as it warms up.
Out of town, so I will have some numbers after the weekend. I think the underdrive pulleys saved me from my mistake. The engine builder wasn't too keen on it but I insisted and this might be why he recommended an HP1 filter. Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The engine has a high flow oil pump. 10W-40 Royal Purple. I change the oil every 3000 miles.... with a different filter(possibly more restriction?)

You are WAAAY over-thinking this. Even the short FL-300 will adequately flow what you need it to.

The stock Motorcraft FL-1A is very large, and will never go into bypass unless you are stone cold and go full throttle.

I honestly cannot think of one single reason why you might "need" a HP filter.
Not one.
And I have close to 100 289's, 302's, 347's, 351's and other notched in my belt.

Your biggest worry? Honestly, the roll pin that holds the distributor gear to the distributor shaft SHOULD BE your "biggest worry".....I've changed a dozen already in 25 years, and the HV oil pump was always the cause.

....and the oil pump driveshaft, too. It's a real weak point.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not worried about filtration since I change the oil often. Just don't want to bottleneck oil flow with the wrong filter with the high flow oil pump. Going to find the vacuum leak next week and throw it on the dyno.
Thanks for the info and reassurance.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Some SC's use engine oil for lube, some don't.
A turbo definitely does. It isn't hurting anything as seldom as you drive it.

Yes to above post by CT8 - higher burst strength is the only benefit. You'll pop your electric oil pressure sending unit before you pop any oil filter, though.

Go for better filtration. Leave the racing filters tot he guys with straight 50 oil.

Donaldson and Amsoil (just a Donaldson with amsoil sticker) make excellent filters.

As far as superchargers using engine oil that's part of the reason I added the 7 quart sump, plus I figured if I went turbo, couldn't hurt either.
Concerned with oil filter selection because I was worried about creating significant oil back pressure with the wrong filter. Thanks for responding and have a good weekend.

Any reason for the high volume pump? I would think factory is more than adequate if its not shot.
I was thinking with a supercharger and a 7 quart sump I didn't want any part to starve for oil. Plus I thought of the motor oil as a primitive secondary cooling system. Remember, this was 2000 and had less options and didn't know that much....not that I know much more now!
I appreciate your feedback. Enjoy your weekend.

Just BC you have a HV pump doesn't mean its pumping HV through the FILTER. The engine will flow what it does at any given pressure. You are likely heating oil and wasting HP pumping it out the bypass.

There was a time when chevy guys would put BB pumps on moderately cammed and tuned SBC.

They Don't do anything good only bad - including spark scatter in the distributer.

Rebuilding a stock spec (or new Melling) pump and setting it up correctly is more important.

I recall 45 years ago hand lapping gear faces in diamond paste ... ahh the good ole days
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just BC you have a HV pump doesn't mean its pumping HV through the FILTER. The engine will flow what it does at any given pressure. You are likely heating oil and wasting HP pumping it out the bypass.

A HV oil pump usually has a higher set relief valve, so at high RPM it's putting out much more oil volume through the filter and engine than a stock oil pump. It's at high RPM that the filter sees the most flow and therefore delta-p across it. That's why "racing filters" typically flow better to keep delta-p down, and have a bypass valve set higher to keep the filter from going in to bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back