Anything wrong with this plan (F-150 3.5L EB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello...another FNG here. I bought a used 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost (25,500 miles) in January and my OLM is down to 10% so I'm getting ready for my first oil change. I live in central Illinois (so HOT summers and COLD winters). My drive to/from work is 1.5 miles each way at between 30-40 MPH, so lots of really short trips but it does get some highway driving most weekends. I've read tons of posts here and just wanted to see if you guys see any problems with my plan.

Between the short trips and my particular engine I've already decided I don't mind paying the extra $$$ for synthetic 5W-30. It's choosing which one to get at Walmart that has me stumped. I'm right around 30,000 miles now...I'm guessing I'll end up getting an oil change every 6 months or so based on the OLM. So, I'm considering just getting whichever oil is on sale or cheapest at Walmart each time I need an oil change (Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, etc.). Right now it's Castrol Edge. Are there any potential problems with this plan? Any other oils to consider? Any reason to stick with the same brand each time? Any other advice for my particular situation that you'd like to share? Thanks a lot.

I see nothing wrong with your plan. I prefer to try to stick with one brand of oil, but it has been proven time and time again that changing brands doesn't matter. I'd just use something that meets the Ford spec for your vehicle.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I've got 2 EB 3.5's, one in a car and one in an F150 and I standardized on Pennzoil Platinum. Cheap enough, has good levels of detergents, and has been working well for me. The F150 gets changes 2x a year, usually at 5k miles as it tows in the summer and is a 3rd car.

Heartland of america
smile.gif

If you go with pennzoil platinum or qsud shell has a rebate for 10 bucks off i believe till the end of year. 3 5 quart jugs of pp max per year on rebate i think.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 has been shown to work very well in EcoBoost V6s, the short trips combined with the fact that Direct injection engines such as the Ecoboost suffer from fuel dilution will mean there is a lot of fuel being diluted into the engine oil.

Whenever you get it on the highway it would be a good idea to put your foot down a bit to get the engine nice and hot so it burns off carbon, fuel, water... give it a good italian tuneup if you are familiar with the term.

I'd recommend changing every 5k with the 3.5 EB if you're going to short trip it that much. The OLM will probably go 8-10k even with the short trips so I wouldn't count on it.

Any oil that meets the minimum standard Ford approval will work fine in this scenario. Castrol Magnatec has shown great results in the 3.5 EB when it was a semi-synthetic and now that it is full synthetic it will probably be even a little better.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Heartland of america
smile.gif

If you go with pennzoil platinum or qsud shell has a rebate for 10 bucks off i believe till the end of year. 3 5 quart jugs of pp max per year on rebate i think.

Heartland? If you ask the people of Illinois, we would likely disagree. Not much heart left here.
To the OP, good plan, rock on. I would lean toward staying with one brand for a while, because I have seen consumption when switching around, but that usually levels off shortly after the switch. No harm in switching brands mind you. The market is a moving target, and what you get today could be changed or different in 4 months anyway, even in the same brand and type. But different companies use different add packs, and I feel that's where the consumption starts from.

Last edited:
Yes, but with duty gear and a Kevlar vest on it would be a miserable bike ride, especially in the summer. Not to mention some of my "clients" potentially sneering at me as I pedal past.

Yes, this state is garbage. Anyway, I'm gonna hold off on the Castrol Edge and look into the Pennzoil rebate and the Magnatec. I could be wrong, but after reading hundreds of posts on here, it seems that PP is favored over Castrol Edge. Thanks a lot guys.

These threads with the bike comments crack me up. He didn't ask if he should ride a bike instead of drive. He asked what oil he should be using. This isn't Bob is the Bike guy, so let's try and focus on answering what he actually asked.

OP, this is the boring answer, you'd be hard pressed to find a 5w30 on the shelf at your local Wal-Mart that wouldn't protect your engine between changes. All the choices you mentioned would all work well.

My personal choice would be Castrol Magnatec 5w30 which is now sold as a full synthetic vs a blend. Report after report on here for UOA on Mangatec come in just fantastic in terms of wear metals compared to other oils. If I owned your truck that would be my go to oil.

Originally Posted By: easchmid
Yes, but with duty gear and a Kevlar vest on it would be a miserable bike ride, especially in the summer. Not to mention some of my "clients" potentially sneering at me as I pedal past.

Yes, this state is garbage. Anyway, I'm gonna hold off on the Castrol Edge and look into the Pennzoil rebate and the Magnatec. I could be wrong, but after reading hundreds of posts on here, it seems that PP is favored over Castrol Edge. Thanks a lot guys.

If you are an Amazon member, Magnatec is under $18 a jug shipped to your door. Worth every penny of not having to step foot into a Wally World but YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back