AMC Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropping my son off at day camp this old timer was driving an AMC Eagle remember them!? .. Looked like around a 1984 or somewhere around then. It had no rust! And no rust for here in Western Massachusetts is a major deal esp for a car that old and then I remembered the Eagle not only had two sided galvanized steel but came from the factory with Zebart undercoating. Anyway I thought it was need looking and 4x4 to boot!

Thanks for the intro
smile.gif

I remember them well. As a young buck I bought one new in 1981. I think it was called the SX4 model Sport.
I remember it stickered at $9595.00. I still have that WS. and the contract. Interest then on the contract was 18.01%
Yeah they had to get in that .01%

That is my niece who is now 39 years old.
Thanks for the memories my friend!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I especially liked the AMC Eagle wagons. It would be WAY cool to own one now.

A friend of mine has one and he is working on putting a Cherokee 4.0L / AW-4 and rear axle in it. The front will have to be regeared to match.

Ya know looking at the AMC Eagle they really don't look that old I think that car has aged well frankly it looks sort of like a lifted Subaru.

The Company I worked for back in the 80s had one that was loaded. Leather and power everything. It was a nice driving car.

I was thinking the same thing. And the Japanese and Koreans are making SUV-CUV's with the same back ends today!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Ya know looking at the AMC Eagle they really don't look that old I think that car has aged well frankly it looks sort of like a lifted Subaru.

My parents shopped those but in the end they were just too expensive with both my parents working on degrees, Mom her bachelors and Dad his master's (in addition to his full time day job).

We ended up getting the 1981 Pontiac clone of the Chevette. Pontiac T1000. Horrible car. It was ordered with 1 option only, the tilt steering wheel since Dad is tall. Had no radio when it arrived! I specifically remember it costing $5200 only, that was what the sticker on the window said.

I am very tall, by 1984 I had outgrown the back seat of the T1000, so my parents got a new '84 GMC S-15 Jimmy 4x4, the gutless wonder I learned to drive on. By then Mom had graduated and was working so the money for a more expensive car was less of an issue. Man that SUV was slow. It could not maintain the 65 speed limit up a hill. At least - it was good in the snow and I took it to the mountains in the late 80s as a 17-18 year old.

I imagine we would have kept the Eagle for longer had we gotten it, but oh well.

The station wagons had full time 4wd and the SX4 had a selector for both 2wd and 4wd
The issue was the FT 4wd Eagles lasted forever and the AMC service depts. really screwed up the SX-4's
and that was typical. You don't see many SX4's around anymore.

The Eagle had a 258 ci I -6, a 727 3 spd AT, with a New Process 129 transfer case, no low range. But, all the bits from a Grand Wagoneer was a bolt in upgrade. That was the neat thing about AMC. Everything fit everything else within a given year. The rarest Eagle, wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
grin2.gif

Thanks for that flash from the past. My best friend in high school and beyond bought a minty Eagle wagon around 1984 or so. He paid quite a bit for it at the time it was nearly new. He drove it a long time, we hunted in it, camped out of it the whole deal. Everything he owned was always in fantastic shape he took care of stuff.

He eventually sold it, but when you think about it those Eagles were way ahead of their time.

Ironically he was also a huge fan of the band the "Eagles" but I never connected the dots. Funny.

It doesn't seem that long ago when those 4x4 AMCs were a common sight. They were neat for sure, but rusted to pieces quickly in the rust belt. I had an elderly neighbor who had a ~1980 AMC Concord with a small V8 and 3spd auto. She'd pay me to wash/detail it, which required me to drive it around the corner to my parent's house. I was 14 or 15 at the time and she trusted me!

While the bodies hold up above average,there is a seam in the underbody that can make the car terminal.And that is NOT galvanized steel.Its under the forward part of the floorboard and is where the front/middle of the car come together.Rust gets in there and is terminal.Of course that took more than a decade to happen,and in the meanwhile the Zeibart,galvanized steel and Krayton plastic pieces did their best to fend off/hide any further rust.

Agreed...AMC Eagles were WAY ahead of their time.

Look at how popular 'slightly taller' small SUV's are now, and how many have AWD.

People just weren't ready for it back then.

AMC is one of the BIG LOSSES in the auto world - reliability, a good warranty...they did things 'right'.

I remember those ! I didn't think there were any left. They were interesting and like most ANC cars some what ahead of their time.

AMC had some really strong muscle cars back in the day. The Javelin might be the more well known model. Sadly the reputation of the Gremlin and the Pacer overshadows all the good models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back