Oil for Racing and Spirited Driving Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photobucket now want $400/yr to allow linking photos onto other sites. BITOG must start host images if they want any picture data to survive. Shame really, as there are all sorts of good engine service shots and all, but they are now broken ...

Time for BITOG to step up. Images at 320x480 would not kill the server and still convey info
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Photobucket now want $400/yr to allow linking photos onto other sites. BITOG must start host images if they want any picture data to survive. Shame really, as there are all sorts of good engine service shots and all, but they are now broken ...

Time for BITOG to step up. Images at 320x480 would not kill the server and still convey info
smile.gif

I get the decision by photobucket from a business standpoint, but to do it RETROSPECTIVELY is maddening. Imagine how many billions of broken links there are now on the Internet, particularly on forums. I'm a member of a couple forums that will automatically download images to the site's server, even if an image is externally linked. Really cool, and ensures continuity.

What does your engine builder suggest as an oil for the engine your are going to be getting? Or, are you going to do all the machining and assembly yourself?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

BITOG has been hosting images for a while now.
wink.gif
Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
M1 is thinner with the same HTHS, reduced consumption... I'm willing to bet you will return to it if you try anything different for one reason or another.

Yeah it's bizarre, I went from the thicker oil to a thinner oil and I get less consumption even at higher RPM, with Valvoline Maxlife 10w40, I was getting a decent amount of smoke at start up, but I'm not getting that with the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, I wonder if the Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 is more volatile.

Anyways the only reason I would change is because I'd be changing to a higher performance engine DOHC 1.6 liter engine D16A1 which will be built fresh. What I might do for oil is use Mobil 1 FS 0w40, similar cSt specs to High Mileage 10w30 and better HTHS at 3.8. Anyways I won't know how the oil works until I do the build and run the oil. I've started to use cSt as a basis for comparing oil weights, since oil weights seem to have a range that they sit in.

My opinion is you should stick with the M1 10w30 HM for your current engine.
The FS 0w40 would be nearly indistinguishable from it, because the HTHS dropped from 3.8 to 3.6 when they created the FS version.

I could swear I was reading 3.8 on the Mobil 1 website a couple of days ago.

Nope, I just checked the Mobil site, and it's 3.6.

Generally I'd recommend the 0w-40, but you are obviously having good luck with the present 10w-30, so I'd just continue to use that.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Redline is the best oil for engines that are used hard and get hot for extended periods.

The shame with Redline is the cost, here in Spain it's so expensive i do not even consider buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back