Input requested on selecting a new Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wick
Schaeffer's has a lot of Sodium , why would you want that? thats the sign of cheap oil I was always told

You were told incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Schaeffer 9000 API SN HTO-6 and a few others. However I haven't seen a bottle so I can't say if it carries a starburst or not. Shouldn't be a warranty concern based on the oil. Considering Super Tech from Wal-Mart meets the spec required by the owners manual.

In my experience Schaeffer's, like Redline products, do not carry the starburst symbol and are not formally certified by the API or any one else for that matter. Not that they aren't good oils as they most likely exceed any standard, but for the sake of the thread and meeting warranty guidelines, going with an API certified product seems to be the important point here.

So as others suggested, any traditional name brand within the grade requirements and that is API SN with the associated approval labeling should be the right choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Schaeffer 9000 API SN HTO-6 and a few others. However I haven't seen a bottle so I can't say if it carries a starburst or not. Shouldn't be a warranty concern based on the oil. Considering Super Tech from Wal-Mart meets the spec required by the owners manual.

In my experience Schaeffer's, like Redline products, do not carry the starburst symbol and are not formally certified by the API or any one else for that matter. Not that they aren't good oils as they most likely exceed any standard, but for the sake of the thread and meeting warranty guidelines, going with an API certified product seems to be the important point here.

So as others suggested, any traditional name brand within the grade requirements and that is API SN with the associated approval labeling should be the right choice.

Your experience is tainted.

Schaeffers has approvals on MANY MANY MANY of their oils, if not most, depending on the decade of approval and for that particular machine.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/254-9004-td.pdf

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Originally Posted By: Flying_A

Your experience is tainted.

Schaeffers has approvals on MANY MANY MANY of their oils, if not most, depending on the decade of approval and for that particular machine.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/254-9004-td.pdf

All I see is "compliant" and "meets and exceeds." I don't see anything with "approved."

There is also no Dexos 1 logo on the front of the bottle which is usually the norm for formally approved Dexos 1 products.

Last edited:
Flying A, This road has been traveled many a time. Literally hundreds of posts on this . Not going there with you.
05.gif

Flying A, This road has been traveled many a time. Literally hundreds of posts on this . Not going there with you.
05.gif

Do we not think it is important to recommend formally approved API products when considering a car is under warranty? People should know the difference. That is all...

flip the bottle over

Well duh! That is simple for the rest of us... Maybe this person didn't know to look for the starburst symbol? Jeez. That was all I was saying. And your TDS proved that he should be doing just that- looking for correct symbols and knowing the misleading language like compliant, meets, exceeds etc. for a car under warranty.

Last edited:
I believe my Accent has the same 1.6L Gamma/GDI motor. I run 5w20 Castrol Edge black bottle. Engine is real smooth/quiet. I believe it has a similar add pack to QSUD/PP but with a very small dose of Titanium as well. I use an OEM filter while under warranty as well. Read somewhere about a technical service bulletin out. KIA/Hyundai can get picky on warranty claims. Read some horror stories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back