World Standard Toyota ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianF
Does anyone know who currently has the contract to make the WS or even the T4 for toyota?

Looks like an Exxon bottle...

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
... what mileage did you start driving it?

from new dealer delivery in Bellevue. It is a leftover from a towncar service I used to own; still on its original AHC - 11 notches.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Does anyone know who currently has the contract to make the WS or even the T4 for toyota?

Currently XOM. XOM stands out since they also have part ownership in an additives supplier - Infineum. Shell also has ownership and they supply Mercedes and ZF with their OEM-fill ATF as well.

Motor oil isn't shot when it turns black. [/quote]

If it was so important to change the transmission fluid wouldn't it make sense that the manufacturer would make it easy to do FULL drains and re-fills? [/quote]

It has been made difficult & complicated to give dealers more profit. ATF change is essential to the well being of your tranny over a long time [/quote]

But sealing the the transmissions and and recommending "no change needed" has greatly REDUCED dealer service revenue....not increased it. Do you honestly think the design guys got together with the dealer so they could increase dealer revenue on transmissions......think about it...

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic. My wife's 11 Camry has 74k. Our previous Camry got annual drain and fills but this I thought was not achievable. With lots of Internet reading I decided today is the day. (Up on jack stands for oil/filter change). I measured and replaced what I drained using a funnel and 4' of 3/4 " flexible hose. This didn't take a whole lot longer than the dipstick tranny. The fluid was due. It looked a bit dirty and maybe milky and left some ultrafine sediment in drain pan. I'm very glad I did this and will do every 6 months til I'm pleased with the look of the fluid. With that in mind I think any brand of compatible fresh fluid is better than the dirty stuff in the slushbox.

In addition to my previous post. It seems like even a modestly maintained engine can last 200,000 miles and beyond. There is much talk about how to prolong engine life when engines rarely fail. Transmissions are another topic. It surely is the most expensive component on a vehicles that fails at MANY times the rate of engine failures so it seems prudent to service it at a rate higher than manufacturers' recommend. They like to tout the low cost of ownership by extending service intervals but I've had to have a few transmissions rebuilt and I prefer not to have to do that again. $20 and 20 minutes of my time is resources I will gladly part with for peace of mind and I believe longer service life of the transmission. JMHO.

This is based upon an assumption; more frequent maintenance of the transmission than recommended by the manufacturer will result in longer component life. Many (and, I do mean MANY) on BITOG agree with that assumption. I will be a contrarian and say that I do not agree with that assumption. JMHO.

You might be right DBMaster but the last tranny I had rebuilt was $1810. It certainly can't hurt to remove worn contaminated fluid from a tranny and replace it with fresh fluid. My experience is when it's time to sell a car it's very beneficial to show them clean tranny, power steering, and brake fluid. I would like to hear from someone who repairs transmissions for a living. He or she has more expertise.

I just think that the paradigm of needing to see new-looking fluid is over, as is thinking of current transmissions the same way we thought of them twenty, or even ten years ago. Other technologies have drastically changed during that time, so, why not automotive technologies?

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
You might be right DBMaster but the last tranny I had rebuilt was $1810. It certainly can't hurt to remove worn contaminated fluid from a tranny and replace it with fresh fluid. My experience is when it's time to sell a car it's very beneficial to show them clean tranny, power steering, and brake fluid. I would like to hear from someone who repairs transmissions for a living. He or she has more expertise.
I have a pair of '16 Camrys, can I do a drain and fill with 4' of hose and a funnel? TIA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Aichiguy

The one thing I find wrong with this narrative is that there seems to be an assumption that changing the fluid, or changing it more often, would have changed the outcome. There doesn't seem to be any supporting evidence for that conclusion. I do agree that if a used car buyer cares about this stuff they would prefer to see clean fluids. I check inside the valve cover with a flashlight. It's easy to put fresh oil into a dirty engine. Overall, I might tend to look at it the way I consider "new tires" on a used car. I don't want new tires. I want good tires with enough wear on them to indicate whether or not the vehicle has suspension or alignment issues. I really do think that vehicles with lifetime fluid are a valid thing. If I were to want the warm fuzzies I might consider a drain and fill somewhere between 50K and 100K miles, but I did that on my Skyactiv Mazda3 at 60K miles with Mazda's proprietary FZ fluid and got fluid out that looked and smelled almost exactly like the brand new stuff I put in - not that appearance means much since it comes from dye.

Servicing the transmission that failed wouldn't have helped. It was a design flaw. (Ford Taurus). Fluid technology surely has improved but the mechanical function of the transmission hasn't really changed which means that the petroleum based fluid can break down due to heat exposure and the detergent can wear out. There was ultrafine sediment in the bottom of the drain pan. I'll keep changing it and feeling like it's the right thing to do. I enjoy working on my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back