UOA 2013 CIVC SI AMSOIL 0W/30 AZO 8,615MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rather boring UOA but the first on this car. Only thing that bothers me a bit is the oil didn't stay in grade, but the protection is still there.
"Almost" every UOA of 30 weight that I have seen ends up as a 20 weight in this version of the K24.
10W/30 ATM is in the car now it will be interesting to see if it still is a 30 weight at the end of the OCI

Code:

2013 civic SI K24Z7, Hondata Flashpro custom tune, AFE Pro Dry air filter.

Your air filtration system is doing a good job, as seen by the 16 ppm of silicon in this sample.

Universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after about 6,900 miles of oil use. You kept this

oil in place a little longer and most metals are in line with averages. Lead is a bit higher and that could show

bearing wear, but this engine probably has aluminum bearings, so maybe it's from an octane booster or

"unleaded" track fuel, if any were used. Let's just see how it trends.

The viscosity read in the 0W/20 range and the TBN was strong at 4.1. Try 10,000 miles

No make up oil.

Oil Amsoil 0W30 AZO

Miles in use 8,615

Miles 67,903

Sample taken 07/02/17

Aluminum 4

Chromium 0

Iron 6

Copper 1

Lead 7

Tin 0

Molybdenum 135

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 1

Boron 78

Silicon 16

Sodium 10

Calcium 3002

Magnesium 12

Phosphorus 576

Zinc 624

Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210° 54.8

Cst Viscosity @100° 8.70

Flashpoint 425°

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0

Water% 0

Insolubles% 0.1

TBN 4.1

0w20 is the Honda-recommended oil, not an xw30 as you're using, which means you have plenty of room for viscosity to drop before the engine has durability issues.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
0w20 is the Honda-recommended oil, not an xw30 as you're using, which means you have plenty of room for viscosity to drop before the engine has durability issues.

That is why I said the protection is still there and you are correct I am far from having any durability issues. I'm not to bothered by it, just would be nice to see a 30 weight stay in grade over the interval. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

The K24 when introduced was specd for 30 weight and outside the US it uses different viscosities.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Si specs a 30-weight oil.

Impressive results for 8600 miles, all single-digit.

I believe the 8th gen did but the 9th generation actually specs 0w/20.

If it regularly sees redline, I'd stay with the 30. If you drive it easy, the 0W-20 won't be stressed. In California, even somewhat colder Northern Cali, I doubt a 5 or 10W-30 will hurt anything. Obviously, your #'s look great.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it regularly sees redline, I'd stay with the 30. If you drive it easy, the 0W-20 won't be stressed. In California, even somewhat colder Northern Cali, I doubt a 5 or 10W-30 will hurt anything. Obviously, your #'s look great.

I agree, I can't complain about the numbers at all, but I am more inclined to stay with the 30 weight for my OCI's as it will end up at the higher end of the viscosity range of a 20 weight anyway.

I can't say it sees redline regularly, but my daily commute at 4am in the morning sees between 80-90 on the freeway for 35 minutes even at those speeds I still think it is relatively easy on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back