Anyone deal with PEAK Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you Gearheads have any experience with Peak Synthetic motor oil? Was on the NAPA website looking at parts for the H3, and decided to check their oil prices. Noticed Peak Full Syn was on sale for $0.99 a quart. At that price, I decided to order 7 quarts for my next oil change.

Was just wondering how good it is, considering racers like John Force and Matt Kenseth use it.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
Any of you Gearheads have any experience with Peak Synthetic motor oil? Was on the NAPA website looking at parts for the H3, and decided to check their oil prices. Noticed Peak Full Syn was on sale for $0.99 a quart. At that price, I decided to order 7 quarts for my next oil change.

All but the 10w30 are Dexos 1 oils, so be definition, they're good oils.

If you're using the 10w30, check for the API Starburst and the SM or SN rating. Or, if it is self-certified ('meets or exceeds'). You can check previous threads or UOA's. (In other words, I'm not going to do that for you).

Was just wondering how good it is, considering racers like John Force and Matt Kenseth use it.

Don't put ANY stock in that. They could put 1 drop in their racers 1 race per year, and they are "using it".

Originally Posted By: HangFire

All but the 10w30 are Dexos 1 oils, so be definition, they're good oils.

If you're using the 10w30, check for the API Starburst and the SM or SN rating. Or, if it is self-certified ('meets or exceeds'). You can check previous threads or UOA's. (In other words, I'm not going to do that for you).

Don't put ANY stock in that. They could put 1 drop in their racers 1 race per year, and they are "using it".

Thanks, HF. I'll be using the 5w-30, which has the Dexos label. Seems to be a decent oil, so, we'll see. If GM says it's OK, then, I'm OK. And no, I don't put a lot of stock in celebrities that use it. Just figure if it's being used in high horsepower engines, then it's not going to mess up something with only 242 HP.

Noticed Peak Full Syn was on sale for $0.99 a quart.

You won't get any.

Many of have have tried.

I'd be surprised if you actually get it.

Noticed Peak Full Syn was on sale for $0.99 a quart. At that price, I decided to order 7 quarts for my next oil change.

I managed to get a couple of cases of Peak when they had their conventional on sale for $.99/quart a few months ago. When the synthetic oil was advertised on their web site for $.99/quart, I got a call from the NAPA owner saying it wasn't available. I wish they would update their web site to show that it has been sold out. I expect you will get a call also.

Just because Force and Kenseth have Peak decals on their car doesn't necessarily mean that they use Peak in their cars.

I wonder if Old World Industries / Peak is exiting the oil & ATF markets. I couldn't find the Peak Full Syn Dex VI / Mercon LV ATF anywhere when I was looking for aftermarket Mercon LV fluids.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Noticed Peak Full Syn was on sale for $0.99 a quart. At that price, I decided to order 7 quarts for my next oil change.

I managed to get a couple of cases of Peak when they had their conventional on sale for $.99/quart a few months ago. When the synthetic oil was advertised on their web site for $.99/quart, I got a call from the NAPA owner saying it wasn't available. I wish they would update their web site to show that it has been sold out. I expect you will get a call also.

Yeah, I'm fully aware it could be a little bait & switch with NAPA. If it is, it stinks, but, that's the way business works. Figured I'd take a shot anyway. Was also hoping to find some Havoline Pro DS at the local O'Reilly's on clearance, like others have done. Only found 1 5-qt. jug for $10.27.
frown.gif

The Subaru dealer in Plaistow uses Peak 0w20 for service fill; Subaru wants them to use Subaru Idemitsu. It worked fine, though it seemed to get thin and cause engine noise, knocking when very hot after 2 hour expressway trip. I feel this is an engine design flaw.

Last edited:
Thanks, ARCO. Still waiting to see if NAPA honors the deal or not. If they don't, no biggie. I'll just use Quaker State or Valvoline. Might even take it to the local Chevy dealer for an oil change, tire rotation & inspection for $40.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back