For those that have a weed free lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald

Then if recommend I can add a surfactant which makes the sprayed weed killer spread out on the weed leaves by reducing surface tension.

I use super cheap dish-washing soap for a surfactant. It works GREAT!

You can get a HUGE bottle at Dollar Tree for $1.00

So I got some Tzone SE to spray as soon as it stops raining. The label indicates it contains several chemicals mentioned in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEYUG96/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500030714&sr=8-3&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=tzone+se

I only have luck with products that I apply with precise mixing ratio to water dispensed from 3 gallon pressurizable tank sprayer. I mix up whatever brand of grass-safe weed killer into the tank with the label specific dilution ratio to water and just walk the yard methodically, spraying in a side to side swath, stopping once in a while to pump the tank pressure back up. I have a 1/3 acre lot but about 4000 sq ft of it has half of a small detention pond on it. I put down a granule fertilizer with Crab Grass Preventer (pre-emergent) around end of every February. Missed putting down the pre-emergent this year due to being laid up from motorcycle accident Feb through end of April. Already seeing some crab grass around the perimeters where yard meets sidewalk and driveway. Even with a good application of the pre-emergent, I would usually see a little bit of crab grass that I'd have to spot kill.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I like Clover?!

I like clover too.
It takes over in any areas where the grass is struggling, covering the soil and preventing the invasion of really noxious weeds.
There is a school of thought that any sensible lawn seed mix should contain some clover.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: CT8
I like Clover?!

I like clover too.
It takes over in any areas where the grass is struggling, covering the soil and preventing the invasion of really noxious weeds.
There is a school of thought that any sensible lawn seed mix should contain some clover.

Yes, that's the sensible mixed weed from start approach...the scatter gun, when throwing a few stinging nettles, dandelion, clover and grass would educate the landowner a LOT more about his soil status, but be a whole lot less palatable.

Weed hierarchy does the same, just without the cost.

Well watering is out. My well will not support watering of our lawn.
How large of a lawn are you talking about?
Is there something wrong with your well?
Do you all not irrigate grass up there?

Sounds like you don't water at all then.

I keep the grass tall to keep the weeds down. I spot spray weeds with 2,4D. When nutsedge rears its ugly head then its Sedgehammer.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
We live next to a lake. And it's rather irritating to see some people with "nice" perfect lawns dumping chemicals on them to keep them that way....which eventually end up in our lake. The soil around here is awfully acidic so growing grass is hard. Most everyone now just accepts a a patchwork of various grasses, weeds, clover, moss, etc. The first time you let the chemicals go for a few months...your lawn starts to look like everyone else's....lol. Since most of us have surface well water, drinking and bathing in lawn chemicals is not fun. I've become a big fan of moss and clover. As long as it's green and covers the dirt, I'm fine with it. I tried all the various methods to get a grassy lawn...and they all failed. Now I leave it up to nature and let it grow as tall as I can.
Well yeah I leave mine to nature too now except when the moles dig up some tracks and then kill grass. Then I just reseed with fescue. I don't like chem sprays because I worry about their impact on nature. I love animals, so help me God.

Here in Clinton Twp Michigan, my nearby neighbor can put a pesticide down on Tuesday - cut his front lawn on Wednesday - dump all the grass clippings in the street where a city sewer exists and the city says ""no harm done".

I was furious with the City when I complained, But nothing can be done to stop the neighbor, who even blows the grass clippings from his driveway and public sidewalk, right into the street where the sewer exists.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Well watering is out. My well will not support watering of our lawn.
How large of a lawn are you talking about?
Is there something wrong with your well?
Do you all not irrigate grass up there?

Sounds like you don't water at all then.

The well cannot put out enough water for lawn watering. Pump is fine. I live in the woods with maybe 1 1/2 acres of grass surrounded my trees.

Better for your trees too ... all that stuff works down to the deep roots that only a tree has ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back