Expanding screw hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids pulling on fridge door and it has now loosed up the screws on top of the fridge hinge area. There
are two screws and both turn and turn and turn. Doors have been removed a few times.

Probably not taking the door off again, but any ideas on how to tightened that hole / screw? I was thinking
of wrapping some teflon tape around the screw to expand that or could I fill the hole with something?

Are the screws going into metal or plastic ?

Are the screws machine thread screws, or are they self tapping screws such as sheet metal screws ?

Can you fit a larger diameter threaded screw in the original holes and still close the door?

Do you have access to both the screw head and the back side of the tip? Maybe you could switch to a nut and bolt.

Teflon tape won't last for long.

Screws are going in to metal. Machine thread. No nut, just direct in to frame?

I was just thinking that too, a larger screw. That wouldn't mess it up worse would it? Just a shade bigger diameter.

(Merkava_4 - spent a 'winter' playing hockey in Fresno for the Falcons a few years ago...good people out there!)

Originally Posted By: coopns
Screws are going in to metal. Machine thread. No nut, just direct in to frame?

I was just thinking that too, a larger screw. That wouldn't mess it up worse would it? Just a shade bigger diameter.

If it's a machine thread, you can check to see if there's enough meat around the hole to install a thread insert - or you can tap the hole oversize and go with a larger diameter screw. I always try to go with the thread repair insert if I can. If it was a self tapping screw, going oversize would be your only option.

Put a piece of small size paper clip in the hole, bend it over so just a tiny piece is sticking out of the screw side the other side makes no difference, the head will flatten most of it when tight.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Put a piece of small size paper clip in the hole, bend it over so just a tiny piece is sticking out of the screw side the other side makes no difference, the head will flatten most of it when tight.

Yeah, or perhaps a small piece of tin foil. For screws in wood I use tooth picks. Works great.

Switch the door to the other side and teach the children not to hang on it.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Switch the door to the other side and teach the children not to hang on it.

This and show the kids how your belt feels

01.gif

If they fail to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back