A 911 costs more than an Accord because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....it probably has paddle shifters right behind the steering wheel, correct? And if you don't use the paddle shifters, it'll go ahead and shift on its own I'm assuming.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Yummy thumbnail on the video link.
grin.gif
wink.gif

The thumbnails presented, are based on your own viewing history.

No, I meant the image for this particular video that appears before you press play. Not the related videos. And my related videos are mostly about defense-related stuff.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A Porsche with an automatic; what's the world coming to?

Had a buddy in high school whose parents had a 944 and then a 928, both automatics.
The cars were all about status for them, they traded in the 944 on the 928 when friends of theirs picked up a 944 Turbo and they needed to one up them. My buddy said the 944 was not especially quick (makes sense, believe it was under 150HP in the US at that time), but handled like a dream. I don't think his parents cared one lick for performance and they usually kept a cheaper car around for actual commuting in the horrible traffic in Chicago, starting with GM luxury sedans and moving up to BMW and MB sedans as they got even wealthier.
Nice folks, they always kept me well fed when I hung around with their son.

I had an '89 944 Turbo. It was rated at 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. It was a fast car for the time.

That is a turbo...the regular 944 (with the 2-valve 2.5) never topped 160HP, and even the S (16V) was only 190. The turbo cars were in the 240HP range for 1989 only-earlier turbos were 215HP. The base 944 will get dusted by a 5-speed Neon.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A Porsche with an automatic; what's the world coming to?

Had a buddy in high school whose parents had a 944 and then a 928, both automatics.
The cars were all about status for them, they traded in the 944 on the 928 when friends of theirs picked up a 944 Turbo and they needed to one up them. My buddy said the 944 was not especially quick (makes sense, believe it was under 150HP in the US at that time), but handled like a dream. I don't think his parents cared one lick for performance and they usually kept a cheaper car around for actual commuting in the horrible traffic in Chicago, starting with GM luxury sedans and moving up to BMW and MB sedans as they got even wealthier.
Nice folks, they always kept me well fed when I hung around with their son.

I had an '89 944 Turbo. It was rated at 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. It was a fast car for the time.

That is a turbo...the regular 944 (with the 2-valve 2.5) never topped 160HP, and even the S (16V) was only 190. The turbo cars were in the 240HP range for 1989 only-earlier turbos were 215HP. The base 944 will get dusted by a 5-speed Neon.

As I said, I had an '89 944 Turbo. In '88 there was the 944 Turbo, and the 944 Turbo S. In '89, the previous year spec Turbo S became the only available 944 Turbo version. It was rated at 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. It would hit 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds, top out at over 160 mph, and run the 1320 in the 13's at a bit over 100 mph.

There are much faster cars now, in fact I have two now that would leave that old Porsche in the dust (to say nothing of my Sportbikes). But in '89, it was a great car.

As for the video, they sure know how to build desire for that beautiful machine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Fake news...
One guy was sanding the bonnet and then blowing the dust off with compressed air without a dust mask.
I did sand while wearing a dust mask a month ago and I'm still coughing on some days.

It's the complete disregard for worker safety (part of the Porsche work culture) that's keeping me from buying their products...

Do ya think they perhaps didn't wear masks because they wanted to show the workers faces in the film?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back