How I miss the the old days....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me anyway...I dont like all these new turbo engines they push on you now. Looking at Ford 150's they have 300 ecoboost models and about 40 v-8's. Trying to explain to my wife's grandkid.....I dont want all this electric [censored] that I have to pay for and never use.
Give my 75 Ford F100 with a 300 inline 6 any day. I could stand inside the engine bay it had so much room. Its was so easy to work on plugs, points etc....took 30 mins to change out. Oil change was havoline 30 wt. I miss all inline 6 engines ...my fav config....now BMW has jumped on the turbo craze for a few miles per gallon. I would take the 2.5 inline 6 in my old 1990 BMW 325 any day I bought used for 5k. i told him im going to just by used older cars from now on....starting with a 72 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland 4 speed....you can bury me in it. rant over.....

It is only going to get worse, or better depending on your perspective. In about 5 years everything is going to either be hybrid or all electric. It does not matter to me as long as it is affordable and reliable.

Didn't 1975 models have a lot of engine choices too? 300 inline 6, 302, 360, 390 V8? 460 in the 1 ton trucks? But, I feel ya.

I miss the horse and buggy days
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
It is only going to get worse, or better depending on your perspective. In about 5 years everything is going to either be hybrid or all electric. It does not matter to me as long as it is affordable and reliable.

And in 10 years the car will do the driving and we will all just be passengers looking at Twitter and communicating in 140 characters or less
grin.gif

I had a 1979 F150 with a 6 cyl and 3 on the tree. I loved that truck. I now have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 and I hate most of the electronics but I love that engine. Will it break, maybe.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123

And in 10 years the car will do the driving and we will all just be passengers looking at Twitter and communicating in 140 characters or less
grin.gif

In ten years I probably will be senile and not know the difference.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
For me anyway...I dont like all these new turbo engines they push on you now. Looking at Ford 150's they have 300 ecoboost models and about 40 v-8's. Trying to explain to my wife's grandkid.....I dont want all this electric [censored] that I have to pay for and never use.
Give my 75 Ford F100 with a 300 inline 6 any day. I could stand inside the engine bay it had so much room. Its was so easy to work on plugs, points etc....took 30 mins to change out. Oil change was havoline 30 wt. I miss all inline 6 engines ...my fav config....now BMW has jumped on the turbo craze for a few miles per gallon. I would take the 2.5 inline 6 in my old 1990 BMW 325 any day I bought used for 5k. i told him im going to just by used older cars from now on....starting with a 72 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland 4 speed....you can bury me in it. rant over.....

I dunno. I like my turbo BMW. Straight six that makes 420 lb.ft of torque, right from 1800 RPM, and still gets 7L/100 km on the highway. Change the oil every once in a while is about the only maintenance it needs.

"The old days"

This is why batteries and tiny turbos

Last edited:
I agree, I know they offer a decent amount of benefits but I miss all the V6's and V8's. You can go get a car with a small motor and a turbo gets 28 mpg but my 95 Regal with the 3.8 is not only larger, and heavier but it gets better mileage then a lot of these smaller cars.

Turbos put a lot of stress on those little under powered motors. I know the turbos help dramatically but the don't last for ever. Our old Volvo had a turbo that gave out before it even hit 200k miles.

There are some nice cars out there that get great gas mileage but in general they day to day cars haven't really improved much. A lot of these cars you see on the road still only get 26-28 mpg and while it depends heavily on the driver it still isn't much of an improvement.

There will be exceptions but honestly tho. A few months back we went to Iowa. My wife took her '06 Altima, son took their '14 Escape, and I took the '95 Regal. Fully loaded down with everyone's luggage my car got the best mileage. Wife's Altima averaged 26, sons Escape 28, and I was right between 31-32 depending on the tank with everyone's luggage. I mean this car was packed.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I agree, I know they offer a decent amount of benefits but I miss all the V6's and V8's. You can go get a car with a small motor and a turbo gets 28 mpg but my 95 Regal with the 3.8 is not only larger, and heavier but it gets better mileage then a lot of these smaller cars.

Turbos put a lot of stress on those little under powered motors. I know the turbos help dramatically but the don't last for ever. Our old Volvo had a turbo that gave out before it even hit 200k miles.

There are some nice cars out there that get great gas mileage but in general they day to day cars haven't really improved much. A lot of these cars you see on the road still only get 26-28 mpg and while it depends heavily on the driver it still isn't much of an improvement.

There will be exceptions but honestly tho. A few months back we went to Iowa. My wife took her '06 Altima, son took their '14 Escape, and I took the '95 Regal. Fully loaded down with everyone's luggage my car got the best mileage. Wife's Altima averaged 26, sons Escape 28, and I was right between 31-32 depending on the tank with everyone's luggage. I mean this car was packed.

Yes, BUT you were driving on the interstate. The newer cars will excel around town where people actually drive.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I feel your pain - turbos are one more thing to go kaput, and they do eventually.

Everything goes kaput eventually.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I feel your pain - turbos are one more thing to go kaput, and they do eventually.

Everything goes kaput eventually.

We all will go kaput someday too.

Sometimes I wish my time was sooner than later.

There is a 1955 Chevy four door with a 350 engine and Powerglide AT being advertised in our area for $10,000. With the original factory two tone paint. If I wasn't so old I would consider purchasing that vehicle. Replace the Powerglide with a Turbo 350 AT, upgrade the differential and head out for the next Hot Rod Power Tour. Well, it was a nice thought.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Yes, BUT you were driving on the interstate. The newer cars will excel around town where people actually drive.

True, I never really thought about it like that. For the last 10 years I've had a 35 mile commute to work with 30 of it being on I-10. Didn't really cross my mind I guess.

I miss the old days until I remove the rose colored glasses and think about the amount of repairs and maintenance those cars needed that we hardly even think about today. I would want a carb, points, 10k plugs and condenser with an external voltage regulator and lots of other things. Sure they were easy to fix but you fixed them a lot.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I had a 1979 F150 with a 6 cyl and 3 on the tree. I loved that truck.

I still have mine!!

'79 4wd / 4-speed (granny low)

It has had 4 gas engines, and is now sporting a Cummins 4BTA-3.9L ... and getting 25-26 mpg

I was thinking the other day. You rarely see a car on the side of the road broke down any longer. Used to see them everywhere like 30-35 years ago.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back