Fasteners on exhaust systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've search the internet but I can't seem to find a good answer so I've turned to the wisdom of the Forum.

A stud has broken off on the flange between the muffler and the exhaust pipe. I plan to simply drill out the stud and replace with a nut and bolt. What I'm not clear on is if a special grade or alloy of fastener is preferred or required. This is on the stock exhaust of a 2012 Mazda 6. Thanks for your help.

Something non rusting (stainless ?).

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING : EXHAUST SYSTEM
Number 10097841
NHTSA Item Number 01-025-12-2699
Date 2017-04-25
Summary Some vehicles may exhibit an exhaust leaking noise from the rear of the vehicle. The noise may be caused by a gap between the exhaust hanger bracket and flange, which allows moisture to enter and cause the exhaust studs to rust and possibly

If you drill right through use a high grade bolt, stainless doesn't have as much shear strength but you can use a stainless or copper nut and stainless washer. Next time just blow the nut off with a torch if you cant get it off.

Last edited:
Because the muffler is reasonably far from the highest heat areas, you have some options. Distance from the catalytic converter is key ... it's the last high heat component of the exhaust. Three or more feet and you should be OK with a wider choice of fastener.

You can try a regular steel bolt and nut, use anti-sieze on it but don't expect that to last long with the temps experienced. Grade 5 should be good and many systems use plain grade 3 at the back of the exhaust.

If appearance is important use stainless but they are not as strong as a high grade steel fastener. Brass is an option but be careful, they fail at a relatively low torque. However brass is least affected by corrosion.

Right or wrong, I've always used grade 8 hardware when replacing anything exhaust-wise. Never had an issue with it.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Right or wrong, I've always used grade 8 hardware when replacing anything exhaust-wise. Never had an issue with it.

Most shops use grade 2. I never heard anyone having issues with exhaust fasteners breaking on their own.Maybe after many years.

Last edited:
Any steel bolt will work, and should last nearly 10 years. You must have a LOT of salt!

No need to go exotic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Most shops use grade 2. I never heard anyone having issues with exhaust fasteners breaking on their own.Maybe after many years.

Grade 2? Might as well use zip ties! Joking..... I use grade 8 'cause if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't use anything over Grade 2. Strength is not the issue. Getting it apart when it's rusted solid is the main concern. It's easier to cut or drill soft fasteners.

What is the benefit of using Grade 8?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I wouldn't use anything over Grade 2. Strength is not the issue. Getting it apart when it's rusted solid is the main concern. It's easier to cut or drill soft fasteners.

What is the benefit of using Grade 8?

Talked to a muffler shop about it once and that is what they used and recommended. I'm no metallurgist, but there might be more corrosion resistance perhaps? Lower grades would definitely be easier to cut or drill, but if a stronger bolt/nut doesn't break, you wouldn't need to cut or drill to begin with. I could be completely wrong, but it's worked for me.

I'm no metallurgist, but there might be more corrosion resistance perhaps? Lower grades would definitely be easier to cut or drill, but if a stronger bolt/nut doesn't break, you wouldn't need to cut or drill to begin with. I could be completely wrong, but it's worked for me.

I am a metallurgist. Grade 8 offers no more corrosion resistance than a Grade 2. In fact it may even be worse.

You don't cut and drill because an exhaust system bolt breaks, you do it because it is rusted solid.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'm no metallurgist, but there might be more corrosion resistance perhaps? Lower grades would definitely be easier to cut or drill, but if a stronger bolt/nut doesn't break, you wouldn't need to cut or drill to begin with. I could be completely wrong, but it's worked for me.

I am a metallurgist. Grade 8 offers no more corrosion resistance than a Grade 2. In fact it may even be worse.

You don't cut and drill because an exhaust system bolt breaks, you do it because it is rusted solid.

I've drilled out plenty of broken studs. Anyways, fair enough. You're a metallurgist, so I will defer to your opinion. I'm completely open to being told I'm wrong, lol. That's how you learn, right? The grade 8 hardware I've replaced still looks brand new after a couple years whereas others have rust very shortly.
21.gif

What's the take on nickel based anti-seize compounds on exhaust hardware? The super high temp stuff. I've used it lately, but not long enough to know if it really helps long-term.

Originally Posted By: E365
What's the take on nickel based anti-seize compounds on exhaust hardware? The super high temp stuff.

It's mandatory on the threads of exhaust components of every airplane & helicopter I've worked on. Also on burner can support hardware, and igniter/thermocouple hardware.

It must be nickel based, not copper.

I had to order nickel anti-seize. Couldn't find it at any "normal" store. They usually only have aluminum and copper.

Last edited:
Wish I remember which grade I used on my Mustang when this happened. Mid pipe to tail pipe bolts. Either grade 8 or 8.8 *I think* but they were also black oxide coated and have held up very well for 6-7 years now (including 2 winters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back