MC 5W-20 2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Loose oil filter or a rod through the block? Some one installed a tune? Boosted engine fail big when the fail. The only engine I have ever had fail was a 3.8 GM most people will say they are a decent engine and it was running Amsoil. Amsoil should have made the engine indestructible.

Final diagnosis was that the bottom end separated from the block, crank dropped into the oil pan and snapped, carnage ensued. That exact failure mode has happened in the aluminum EB 4 cylinder block as well (Focus ST), which is really weird and probably a manufacturing defect because the old MZR DISI turbo is the same engine block design (and they've held well over 1000hp). Given the 2.7L design with the iron unitary liner/bearing fillet assembly, that failure mode should be impossible. I honestly suspect that's why they appropriated this new EB V6 design so soon because at some level, they must have known.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: CT8
Loose oil filter or a rod through the block? Some one installed a tune? Boosted engine fail big when the fail. The only engine I have ever had fail was a 3.8 GM most people will say they are a decent engine and it was running Amsoil. Amsoil should have made the engine indestructible.

Final diagnosis was that the bottom end separated from the block, crank dropped into the oil pan and snapped, carnage ensued. That exact failure mode has happened in the aluminum EB 4 cylinder block as well (Focus ST), which is really weird and probably a manufacturing defect because the old MZR DISI turbo is the same engine block design (and they've held well over 1000hp). Given the 2.7L design with the iron unitary liner/bearing fillet assembly, that failure mode should be impossible. I honestly suspect that's why they appropriated this new EB V6 design so soon because at some level, they must have known.
I wonder why the 3.5 hasn't been changed? The 2.7 does seem stronger and the timing chain setup seems stronger be design.

IDK? We don't know if the 3.5 has been revised, or if it even needs a revision if the problem was a bad batch or manufacturing process. Really weird for two different all-aluminum Ecoboost engine series' to have the same problem though. The 1.0L is iron block and not a thing about it shattering. If I had to guess, I'd put it down to manufacturing process. Really don't wanna hijack our friend's thread here either, with anything more than a vote of confidence for the nice engine he has.

The 3.5 has been revised a few times. They had to address the blow-by issues on the intake valves, added both direct and port injection together, condensation issues in the inter cooler etc... It is on version 3 these days and paired with a 10 speed auto instead of the 6 I have.

I don't think the 2.7 sheers the oil nearly as bad as the 3.5 has in the past. Still I will run only fully synthetic oil in a turbo platform even with the shorter OCI's. Planning on 7500 mi as the test for the Edge oil in this engine. Will likely go to 10,000 after that (or should I just go to 10K right off the bat as Ford recommends????)

Originally Posted By: jmw116
The 3.5 has been revised a few times. They had to address the blow-by issues on the intake valves, added both direct and port injection together, condensation issues in the inter cooler etc... It is on version 3 these days and paired with a 10 speed auto instead of the 6 I have.

I don't think the 2.7 sheers the oil nearly as bad as the 3.5 has in the past. Still I will run only fully synthetic oil in a turbo platform even with the shorter OCI's. Planning on 7500 mi as the test for the Edge oil in this engine. Will likely go to 10,000 after that (or should I just go to 10K right off the bat as Ford recommends????)

I have a 2.7 as well. I did quite a bit of research before I bought it and there is no real evidence, (yes I have seen the you tube videos from the self promoting mechanics) that LSPI is an large scale issue with these engines and that Ford "had to address the blow by". Tweaking valve timing can control this and that is what Ford did on the current 2.7. Improved efficiency and emissions is the reason for adding the port injectors. Here is a link.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsam...r/#39910769545e

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Strawdog

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsam...r/#39910769545e

Unfortunately Forbes will not show you their site anymore without turning off AdBlock Plus, which I personally am not going to do.

The world got its first hint of what would later become EcoBoost in the 2007 Lincoln MKR concept which was “powered” by a 3.5-liter GTDI V6 badged as TwinForce. The MKR debuted at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit but never made it to production. A year later, then-product development chief Derrick Kuzak announced the EcoBoost strategy along with the Explorer America concept.

While not giving up on its more-expensive hybrid powertrains, EcoBoost was intended to democratize significant bumps in efficiency. Ford’s plan was to sell millions of EcoBoost-powered vehicles with up to 20 percent better fuel efficiency than the larger but similarly powerful engines that would supplanted. Collectively, these would have a much larger impact on greenhouse gas emissions and fuel consumption than a few tens of thousands of hybrids at a much lower per vehicle cost.

The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 hit the market in mid-2009 under the hood of the Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS and MKT. A year and a half later it was added to the F-150. Today every Ford and Lincoln vehicle except the hybrid-only C-Max and Super Duty pickups are available with at least one EcoBoost option and in many cases several engines. Today’s EcoBoost lineup ranges from the surprisingly powerful 1.0-liter three-cylinder in the Fiesta and Focus to the 3.5 with multiple four and six cylinders in between. In April 2016, the 2.7-liter and 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6s accounted for 62 percent of F-150 sales, split roughly evenly between the two.

For 2017, the original 3.5-liter has been completely redesigned from the sump up. The basic dimensions including bore-spacing and deck height are retained to avoid a costly retooling of the block machining line at the Cleveland engine plant that produces it, but otherwise virtually every part is new including the block and cylinder heads.

The single most significant change to the engine is a new dual fuel system that now includes both port and direct injection. Since the beginning, direct injection (DI) and turbocharging have been the defining characteristics of EcoBoost engines. DI enables the use of higher boost and compression ratios that improve torque and driveability by cooling down the compressed air that the turbos push into the cylinders. They also enable greater fuel delivery precision for better fuel economy and emissions in most conditions. However, at higher flow rates the need for larger holes in the injectors detracts from the flow control resolution.

Gasoline DI engines are also prone to produce higher levels of particulate emissions, especially following a cold start when the fuel is sprayed on cold cylinder walls. The new Tier III emissions regulations that go into effect in 2018 significantly reduce the amount of particulates that all engines are allowed to emit. Al Cockerill, Ford engine systems supervisor for the 3.5-liter engine acknowledges that the addition of port injection will enable this new engine to meet Tier III emissions standards without resorting to a particulate filter of the type that is required on modern diesel engines.

In addition to having two fuel injectors per cylinder, Ford has added electronic wastegate control that will enable the system to better manage boost and exhaust back pressure. The two turbos also have lighter weight turbine wheels that enable faster spinup. In combination with the wastegate control, the new 3.5 liter should be more responsive, with less turbo lag. With maximum boost of 16 psi and a 10.5:1 compression ratio, the redesigned EcoBoost will produce the same 365-horsepower as the 2016 model in mainstream F-150s. Torque increases by 30 lb.-ft. to 450 lb.-ft.
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor (Image credit: Ford Motor Company)

Strawdog - What OCI do you do with the 2.7? I am leaning towards the factory recommended 10K with the Fully syn Edge in it. Actually, what oil are you running ?

I am doing approximately 5k OCI. I am too ocd not to and changing the oil on this truck is so easy with ramps, a 5 gallon bucket and the filter on top. I was running 5w30 PUP with the motorcraft filter. I did not like the dilution/shearing with it so I switched last OC to Valvoline 5w30 HM Max Life full synthetic and the same motorcraft filter, (another person posted a very good UOA on a 2.7 with it). My engine is very noticeably quieter with this oil vs the PUP. So much so I thought I had a problem and was going to take it to the dealer to check out a faint ring-ding like noise. The noise went away with this oils and after some thought it seems that noise only appeared after I put in the PUP.

I really like this motor and truck. Like you said it WILL get good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. Something that was not possible with my last 2 GMC'S (6.0 and a 5.3) or the Tundra 5.7.

So far I have had the truck 1 1/2 years and 24k miles and it has not needed to go back to the dealer. The same cannot be said about the 2 GMC's or Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Strawdog
Like you said it WILL get good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Yep. This is a "major problem" I think all EB owners face. Especially those of us that have Sport mode.

So Ford took a lesson from Toyota and chose the easy way out of cold/poarticulate emissions and valve carbon buildup. Instead of working on in-cylinder mixing ie.swirl, tumble, injection staging and all the heavy R&D required for a proper solution, they decided to tack the PFI system back on and pass the cost to the buyer? I only point this out because of the marketing fodder those two are putting out about how this is the solution to the aforementioned challenges. What Ford said as paraphrased by Strawdog, Toyota said exactly, many years earlier. What is that about?

I had a 2007 tundra bought new. Air Injection Pump System was the solution at that time for cold start emissions. FAIL

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-warranties-air-injection-pump/

The current 2.7 has not had, (as far as I can tell with my research) any lspi issues and is controlling it with proper valve timing. It has no PFI. That will change and PFI will be added to the 2.7 in 2018.

Ford is not the only make going this GDI with PFI with route.

Despite all the computer modeling we now have and all the smart engineers, engines with problems are still produced. I have several friends/engineers that work at NASA and even there, corporate culture/pressure gets in the way of good design sometimes.

Last edited:
Only 5K on the oil change? I am rather OCD about doing them at that mileage as well in past vehicles.

This one is rated for 10K with semi-syn, so 10K with fully syn is fine. Will most likely take the edge 5w-30 to 10K. It will be a hard test to see if the sheering causes wear.

See you are in Galveston and no front license plate. Every been harassed by the cops around here? I was thinking of removing mine to get better cooling into the inntercooler. Get a OBD2 reader with data logging ability, but can only get air inlet temp, nothing post turbos.

I have not had a license plate on most of my vehicles for more than 20 years, always lived in Texas. Not one time have I been harassed or even had it mentioned to me if I got pulled over for speeding. I got a ticket going over the ship channel bridge on Beltway eight about six months ago and he did not say a thing. I got stopped in Galveston on 61st St. going 55 in a 40 about two weeks ago and not only did the motorcycle patrolman not give me a ticket he also did not mention I had no license plate. Just gave me a warning. Just for you guys that don't know the area this spot is a 6 lane divided street with water on both sides. There was no traffic around and early in the morning so I didn't think it was that unsafe.

I have two friends that give me grief about the plate thing all the time, one is a lawyer, and they think I'm crazy but I just don't like the front license plates on vehicles and it is in front of the inter-cooler on this truck.

I will say I have got quite a few speeding tickets over the years, almost all out in the middle of nowhere and on the highway, but I have not had a ticket that has gone on to my record since 1986.

As far as the 5K OCI I think part of the reason the manufacturers are going to 10k is for environmental impact not engine life. I am really more concerned about the cam chains and the turbos on this engine. The price of good oil is so low and the filter is cheep so I will stay with 5k but you are correct probably excessive. I can tell you in my experience with this truck in 25,000 miles with very varied driving conditions the oil life monitor on this truck only ticks down miles. At 5K miles it is 50% every time.

Here is a company that makes a boost gauge that mounts in the left air-conditioner vent area. It is vacuum actuated but I haven't really researched it but I probably will get one.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-vent-boost-gauge-1516-f150.html#product_pics-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back