F1 - 2017 Austrian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the OEMs are the ones that wanted the reliability improved, not be going through three engines per car per weekend, and the same number of gearboxes. Getting rid of penalties always has unintended consequences, especially in regards to this side of the business.

Well, Kimi doesn't have to impress me. I'm a fan. But, Sergio Marchionne was there, and, subsequent to my remarks, he tied into Kimi in the press about this. He's the guy he has to satisfy.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, the OEMs are the ones that wanted the reliability improved, not be going through three engines per car per weekend, and the same number of gearboxes.

So here's a question that we'll never get an answer to. This applies to every customer team except McLaren obviously :

Red Bull buy a set of running gear for each car off Renault for the season. 4 of each component. Who pays for the extras?
Renault sold Red Bull 4 units that were supposed to last the season. If they smoke one, need an extra and take the resulting penalty do they have to pay Renault for an additional unit, or does Renault stump up and "replace it under warranty"?

On Raikkonen though. Who would you replace him with? Red Bull indicated they'd let Sainz go for the appropriate financial compensation. Verstappen is apparently tied up tight, although I'd like to see him in a team with Vettel. I reckon they'd go off like Senna & Prost.

I reckon Marchionne is sabre-rattling, but time will tell. I like Kimi, he's a much needed hyperbole vacuum in a paddock full of hot air.

Great lap 1 and great lap 71. The rest, ehh, kind of boring.

As for the start, IF the NBCSN edit was correct, Bottas jumped. If it wasn't, he still may have jumped if the start is shown to be better than human reaction time, just because he started moving after the light went out (this is predicated on NBCSN being wrong), he technically still jumped.

Glad to see RIC on the podium. I'm also glad BOT was there in place of HAM, however it is thrilling to see a pursuit so I was also kind of cheering for VET.

As for RAI, this is two races in a row he didn't know all of the car settings he needed to (and he's been called a "laggard" by Ferrari). You can bet if VER was at Ferrari he'd know every setting on that steering wheel.......

Fantastic result for GRO and Haas. Bummer about MAG, he was faster than his teammate in the earlier weekend sessions.

Force India ended up about where they were supposed to be; I was worried before the race.

Major disappointment for Williams. Not just because of the positions themselves, but because those positions came with what the team called significant upgrades on the car.

Also a disappointment for Renault.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
On Raikkonen though. Who would you replace him with? Red Bull indicated they'd let Sainz go for the appropriate financial compensation. Verstappen is apparently tied up tight, although I'd like to see him in a team with Vettel. I reckon they'd go off like Senna & Prost.

I reckon Marchionne is sabre-rattling, but time will tell. I like Kimi, he's a much needed hyperbole vacuum in a paddock full of hot air.

With the "warranty" issue you brought up, I wonder, too. One would think that extra units are included, particularly if the manufacturer finds something wrong along the line and asks teams to revert, or that sort of thing. But, one never knows, really. Heck, it could be different for different engine suppliers, too, but it is a very interesting question.

I do agree Kimi is great to have around. I certainly couldn't name a replacement for him. Whether or not Marchionne is sabre-rattling or not, we have to see. Some pretty valuable people have been shown the door during his tenure at Ferrari. I would agree that a replacement isn't easy to come by. I don't think Alonso and Ferrari would be interested in a reunion. As amazing as Fernando is, I honestly don't think he's worth the trouble. The same goes for Sainz on a smaller scale. His ego far outstrips his value, and I can't see that flying in Ferrari. When it comes to Kimi, you've seen the areas of concern, too. Sure, he's had bad luck. Sebastian gets stuck at the back, and he's passing to get to the front like a madman, never giving up. Kimi merely gets jumped at a pitstop and he deflates like an old balloon and is at risk from much slower cars. Then Kimi struggles with steering wheel settings today. His blocking of Bottas today was pretty lacklustre, too. What did he hold him up for, three corners? That's what Marchionne sees.

By the way, you get the Sky feed, I suspect. What happened to Martin Brundle's pitwalk? He not feel like going for a walk Sunday? I was concerned that something happened to him, as in an illness, since I knew he was on TV on Saturday, and just turned on to watch the pitwalk, and they had Natalie and Crofty wandering around, instead. But, he was on commentary during the race. Brundle is a soft touch for an interview, but at least he would have grabbed Bernie on the walk, since he was there. Natalie might be a lot more fun to watch, but Martin finds far more interesting people with whom to converse.

gofast182: FIA is explaining it as there is a tolerance for motion "within" the box before the red lights go out. I'm a Vettel fan, but I can accept that Bottas did a great start. In fairness, everyone ahead of Verstappen, with his clutch induced poor start, should have done a jump start and been forgiven for it, given the mess that ensued.

Don't ever watch Canadian media coverage and analysis of F1. It's become a bit fashionable, with Stroll being involved now, but the garbage they spew, you'd swear they never watched a race until after Stroll got his first points. It was all Massa's and Stroll's fault, according to them, that Williams had a catastrophic weekend. After all, they're all spec cars and it's totally on the drivers.
whistle.gif

I usually watch the pre-race and Martins walk but last night I missed it and managed to get in front of the box as they were starting the formation lap. I was not impressed about him egging ricciardo on for a shoey. Like last race, he made no motions of that kind until the podium interviewer egged him on.

Roll on Silveratone.

Yeah I saw that the FIA said re: tolerance of movement. In my mind he likely still jumped but I accept their rationale as to why it was handled the way it was.

I honestly think he pulled off the perfect start. 200ms reaction times are not unheard of, just extremely rare. We bag out drivers when they muff a start. Why not congratulate the guy in getting it spot on?

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
I honestly think he pulled off the perfect start. 200ms reaction times are not unheard of, just extremely rare. We bag out drivers when they muff a start. Why not congratulate the guy in getting it spot on?

He pulls off a seemingly impossible start and dodges all the critiques: good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back