Spark plug for GCV160 Honda engine.

I have a conundrum. The spark plug that came with the mower is a NKG BPR5ES. The manual calls for a NKG BPR6ES. I need to replace this spark plug. Which one do I go with? Thanks.

My Honda mower came with the BPR6ES. THe 5 is the next hotter heat range. The "R" indicates a resistor plug, not sure why a mower
needs that. I use a BPR6EV which is the platinum tip version of the BPR6ES plug. A little more expensive but the fine wire tip works well. I've seem that plug in eveything from BMW bikes to SAAB auto engines.

Look at the color of the plug, if its good use that heat range if its looks looks white drop the heat range (not applicable to FI engines). You can use either BPR6EIX or BPR5EIX if you want to run a long life easy starting iridium.

Per Honda's website, mowers come with BPR5ES, and pressure washers have the BPR6ES.
I emphatically agree on BPR5E-IX iridium plugs making for easy starting.

I've used the V-Power version, BPR5EY in small Honda engines with no trouble. I've never spring for an iridium since most of my small engine es really so they much use. As long as I use NGKs, no trouble starting!

I recently bought a used EU2000i with a super cruddy original NGK spark plug, still ran just fine. Either the plug or the coil were awesome.

+1. 5 for mowers, 6 for washers. I think all the Chonda stuff is 6, unless you use the Torch OEM Chinese plug.

Originally Posted By: Rab6715
+1. 5 for mowers, 6 for washers. I think all the Chonda stuff is 6, unless you use the Torch OEM Chinese plug.

I hate those stupid Torch Chinese plugs. They have caused some strange running issues on Predator engines. Now whenever I build a Predator for a minibike/go kart or install one as a replacement on equipment I throw away the Torch garbage and replace it with an NGK. No issues since then.
thumbsup2.gif

A resister limits the amount of current but, not the voltage so the plug last longer. In addition, the lack of EMF on your neighbors TV & radio is appreciated.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Rab6715

I hate those stupid Torch Chinese plugs. They have caused some strange running issues on Predator engines. Now whenever I build a Predator for a minibike/go kart or install one as a replacement on equipment I throw away the Torch garbage and replace it with an NGK. No issues since then.
thumbsup2.gif

I thought the same about the Torch spark plugs until I bought a Troy-Bilt snow blower with a Chinese PowerMore engine. Before it's first use I bought a NGK replacement plug. But I decided to see how "bad" it ran with the Torch plug. After about 17 hours of hard use the snow blower still ran like a champ with the Torch plug
confused2.gif
. I guess the quality level at manufacturing can vary greatly. Would I buy a Torch replacement plug, NO! In addition to strongly being iffy they cost 3X the price of a NGK plug
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

I am sorta having the same issue on spark plugs.

I will be acquiring my dad's Husqvarna 7021R which uses a Honda GCV160 mower.

The instruction manual that I am looking at on Husqvarna's website specifically for the lawnmower states:

Spark Plug: NGK BPR6ES (Gap: .030")

But then Honda's manual states otherwise...

Stuff like this really annoys me. I ordered the BPR6ES spark plug so will that mess anything up? I will have to have my dad look but I'm almost positive that's what is in the mower now, and has been for 9 years...lol

Thanks,

-Nigel

my GVC 160 came with the bpr5es. five or six years ago i put a bpr6es in it still runs like new.

My question piggy backs off this one but is re: the spark plug size. I read somewhere that the socket size was 13/16, so I bought that one. When I slide it over the spark plug in the mower, the socket was too big, but the socket fits perfectly around the new spark plug. I bought the BPR5ES as that's what seemed to be the one recommending since it's for a lawn mower, not power washer. I'm wondering if the BPR6ES and BPR5ES require different socket sizes? That's the only thing I can think of why my socket is too big for the one in my mower and fits just right on the new one. It seems like a 11/16 would fit, but I haven't been able to find that size spark plug socket everywhere I've looked. Thanks!

Thanks Kamele0N. I figured it out. The spark plug needing replaced required a 5/8 socket. The new spark plug required the 13/16.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but would running the hotter BPR5ES over the BPR6ES make the engine easier to start? My unit is always super hard to start in the winter and requires removing the air filter before it warms up to run smoothly.

Back