Should I do an UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get a uoa done this oil change on the Zetec Focus? It will have 290k miles on it then. It has Castrol Edge EP 5w30 and a Microgreen oil filter. This is the second fill of Castrol EP.

Absolutely!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Should I get a uoa done this oil change on the Zetec Focus? It will have 290k miles on it then. It has Castrol Edge EP 5w30 and a Microgreen oil filter. This is the second fill of Castrol EP.
Great choice of oil & filter!! To me, a UOA is only good to find out if you had contamination in the past, such as coolant or silicon (air filter). On that combo, I'd go up to 1 year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

And of course you can check to be sure the air filter path is tight, avoiding dust incursion thru cracks, by inspection anyway.
A UOA mostly tells you about stuff you can't do much about, like iron wear, interesting but what do you do about it?

You're already using some of the best oil and filter available, so a UOA really boils down to detecting coolant leaks. Check to see if your coolant level drops too fast to determine if you're missing some anyway.

I don't think it every made any economic sense for cars. For large fleets the cost vs the oil used is minimal, but for a car with that kind of mileage, what would it tell you that you didn't already know and how much longer did you really want it to run?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Great choice of oil & filter!! To me, a UOA is only good to find out if you had contamination in the past, such as coolant or silicon (air filter). On that combo, I'd go up to 1 year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

And of course you can check to be sure the air filter path is tight, avoiding dust incursion thru cracks, by inspection anyway.
A UOA mostly tells you about stuff you can't do much about, like iron wear, interesting but what do you do about it?

You're already using some of the best oil and filter available, so a UOA really boils down to detecting coolant leaks. Check to see if your coolant level drops too fast to determine if you're missing some anyway.

This is not a typical BITOG response. UOAs seem to be regaled as scripture

Its good to see this forum has various viewpoints.

Why do contaminants through the airbox show up as silicates? What is the relationship?

No.
But if you must do something, pick Blotter Spot Test...... it's free and easy.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Why do contaminants through the airbox show up as silicates? What is the relationship?

Dust = (mostly) fine sand = silica = SiO2, unless you're in a limestone/coral dominated geology, where it might be mostly Calcium Carbonate.

Originally Posted By: zeng

No.

...and even less interpretable than a UOA, which makes it more fun.

While its true a UOA mostly tells you about stuff you can't do much about, like iron wear, you can be "shocked" at how much your TBN dropped on the last oil change, and correct it by changing the oil sooner next time.
Modern oil life monitor algorithms do negate that benefit if you have the OLM, since they track how brutal your oil conditions are and tell you when to change it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: zeng

No.

...and even less interpretable than a UOA, which makes it more fun.

Points taken.

Blotter Spot does provide comparative assesments in used oil conditions , though qualitative.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Dust = (mostly) fine sand = silica = SiO2, unless you're in a limestone/coral dominated geology, where it might be mostly Calcium Carbonate.

I am glad to learn this.

Is this the dust that would be created when driving down unpaved gravel roads? So "quarried" from local sources.

Thanks

I pay $20 CDN taxes in, ($15 USD) and it comes with TBN & a free coffee.
I don't put a lot of weight on so called "wear metals", but instead the presence of fuel & anti freeze.
I'm not trying to extend drain intervals, but UOA results indicate I can go slightly over OLM with the oils I use without worry.

That's how I look at it.

While there's no substitute for real analysis + facts, I am convinced the oil change intervals are set prematurely just to be safe.
I too want an UOA just to see if my factory recommended OCI (7,500 miles) is proper.
Again, oil is cheap, so why not set the stage for world wide premature oil changes?

Since you are already thinking maybe you should, go for it.

First off I didn't know we knew each other.
And it was no cheap shot. I am not a fan of UOA's
My comment was save the money in the bank for a rainy day- no attack on you or your car.

Airgun,
I know we have our differences, no need to be a smart a$$.

Airgun,
I took that squarely as a cheap shot for me calling the engine on your mower a Prosumer grade. I've got money to buy a new car, I will eventually. I can pay cash for one now.
My apologies sir.

UOA's are alot of fun. In my opinion it's part of our love for cars and motor oil. From what Blackstone says,UOA's can show how an engine is "wearing".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back