Ethanol free vs. Top tier e10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 04 Accord, 2.4.

Which would you recommend: I can get pretty much any top tier (Shell, Exxon, etc.) but they all contain ethanol, or I can get Hot Spot (cheapo) ethanol free.

When I get ethanol gas I usually get 89 octane. The ethanol free comes in 87 only. I usually go back and forth every few fill ups.

The top tier will likely be more available and cheaper.

E-0 is $0.30 a gallon higher here,,,, which really stinks.

IMO, the only thing that EO makes sense on as a value proposition is for OPE.
In my situation, the only source for EO is a small town Valero station about 18 mi. each way from my house. They sell 91 premium EO for $3.99.9/gal. I can buy RUG in the $2.00 (or sometimes less) range.
It's not worth paying 2x as much for it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
E-0 is $0.30 a gallon higher here,,,, which really stinks.

That sucks big time! I wish ethanol would deb done away with completely.

My personal choice would be the Ethanol free.

But that is based equally on the negatives of ethanol combined with my strong dislike of the politics of ethanol.

I run pure gas in all of my toys...91 octane.

Pure gas will result in slightly better MPG in theory.

You might want to run a fuel conditioner/injector cleaner on occasion with either decision you make.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
In my situation, the only source for EO is a small town Valero station about 18 mi. each way from my house. They sell 91 premium EO for $3.99.9/gal. I can buy RUG in the $2.00 (or sometimes less) range.

Fascinating.

What language is this?

Ohioan?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Fascinating.

What language is this?

Ohioan?

Hit your seventh birthday yet, Troll?

But that is based equally on the negatives of ethanol combined with my strong dislike of the politics of ethanol.

You might want to run a fuel conditioner/injector cleaner on occasion with either decision you make.

What do you recommend?

Your post neither makes sense grammatically nor in reality. Apparently, "you way under thinking it".

Tap water is cheapest, should I just not think about it and use that? Wanting to use the best fuel in my car, which I depend on, is not overthinking at all.

Consistent use of top-tier gas greatly reduces the need for regular fuel injection cleaner additives.

Valvoline syn-power was the best fuel injection cleaner, now Redline is (but hard to get)....
- due to availability & strength, Chevron Techron is the best, IMHO

Fascinating.

What language is this?

Ohioan?

Hit your seventh birthday yet, Troll?

Just because one person lacks a sense of humor on Saturdays does not make another person a troll.

Would a smiley emoji brighten your day?
smile.gif

EO must mean E0 or 0% Ethanol.
OPE I still don't know.
RUG is probably Regular Unleaded Gas.

Last edited:

Consistent use of top-tier gas greatly reduces the need for regular fuel injection cleaner additives.

Valvoline syn-power was the best fuel injection cleaner, now Redline is (but hard to get)....

This is what I'm getting at. Are the top tier additives worth the ethanol?

I agree but I just learned alot from a thread yesterday and one of the posters (name evades me) rebuilds injectors. His photos and posts were fantastic and I learned about PEA's ? I will begin using them even though I use Top Tier.

I am actually headed to town later today to get some Techron to run through my toys.

O-P-E...Outdoor Power Equipment. I use non ethanol 93 in my motorcycles as well. It's a buck plus more than E10 per gallon here in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wurlitzer

What do you recommend?

Look for the posts by TRAV and especially his photos and discussion on page 3 here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4451071/3

Originally Posted By: gman2304
O-P-E...Outdoor Power Equipment. I use non ethanol 93 in my motorcycles as well. It's a buck plus more than E10 per gallon here in my neck of the woods.

Hey Gman,
Thanks.
I would not have figured that one out on my own in 100 years.

TopTier. E10 is fine, and possibly helpful in a vehicle that goes through a tank of gas in a week or three.

It's less frequently used engines like OPE and boats where there can be issues.

Originally Posted By: Donald
TopTier. E10 is fine, and possibly helpful in a vehicle that goes through a tank of gas in a week or three.

It's less frequently used engines like OPE and boats where there can be issues.

For the benefit of future readers.

Ethanol attracts moisture. The longer it sits in your gas tank the more water it absorbs.

That is just one of the downsides to it. It also dries out o-rings and seals (albeit newer vehicles use more resistant materials). It also has less BTU's. It also uses valuable arable land to produce and drives up food prices (although this is often denied) and lastly, it is a great way for politicians to buy the Farm vote. Ethanol belongs in Brazil where there is a large waste bio-mass left over from sugar cane production.

In a Marine Environment, Pure Gas should always be used due to the constant presence of water.

Last edited:
If your fuelling and timing can handle it, ethanol is better for power.

If you don't need that much AKI E0 is better because there's more gas in your gas.

Consider your priorities and pick the right tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back