Best Caulking for Exposed Nail Heads on Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my roof done a couple years ago and was looking around the other day and saw the "silicone" on the nail heads that are exposed on the ridge vent caps is peeling off. What should I use to cover them back up? I have read Geocel, NP1 and Solar Seal are good. Do we have a roofer with an opinion? I live in southwest VA.

On the ridge? When I cap a ridge there are no nail heads exposed. Even if there were, the chances of a ridge leaking is slim.

Brybo86 said:
Pic? [/quote

Awww...I ain't gonna go back up there today. Too Hot. Just use your imagination. Nail head with a glob of clear silicone barely hanging on. I am assuming only certain "caulks" will stick to metal roofing nail heads.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
On the ridge? When I cap a ridge there are no nail heads exposed. Even if there were, the chances of a ridge leaking is slim.

I understand. The exposed nail heads are on the one end of the ridge caps. I guess it was either the first shingle or last shingle they installed. I don't know.

What product can I cover them with that will not pull off?

Clear silicone is what looks like was put on them and it has come unstuck.

Lexel is what we recommended at the building supply. Everybody had positive reviews on it. I've used successfully on metal roofing screws where the rubber was dry rotting.

I heard from one professional that uses roofing tar, then follows up by sprinkling granules he finds in the gutter.

What Kestas said. On a shingle, I use the roofing tar and granules. Put down the tar, smooth it, sprinkle granules, and pat down.

For a nail through metal, I still use the silicone caulk.

Originally Posted By: wayne50
What Kestas said. On a shingle, I use the roofing tar and granules. Put down the tar, smooth it, sprinkle granules, and pat down.

For a nail through metal, I still use the silicone caulk.

But this exposed nail head in asphalt shingles. The "silicone" ain't sticking.

I'm with Vern and Sayjac - urethane caulk has superb adhesion, flex, and durability characteristics. It's just a tiny bit less user friendly than other choices.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: andyd

I understand. The exposed nail heads are on the one end of the ridge caps. I guess it was either the first shingle or last shingle they installed. I don't know.

What product can I cover them with that will not pull off?

Clear silicone is what looks like was put on them and it has come unstuck.

A good roofer will not use silicone...they will typically use roofing cement.

They will also have exposed nails on their last piece of hip or ridge cap because they have seen the effects of wind damage. The typical practice for an asphalt or fiberglass shingle roof is to cut the final piece of cap below the tar line where the color changes...basically cut the tab in half. This results is a final piece of cap that will be nailed in all four corners and those nail heads will be exposed. This is how you prevent the wind from ripping it off, by using four nails, one per corner. It is also important that they use a longer nail in this final piece because it has the most layers to penetrate. (Many roofers do not bother and then their nails start to float about 10 years later).

Roofing cement such as Henry's is then placed below this final cap where the four nails will penetrate and then the four exposed nailheads are also coated with the cement.

I do quite a bit of repair work on multiple types of roofing. I only hand nail. I do not use a nail gun for any roof repair and I do not recommend a nail gun is used for hip and ridge cap. The gun cannot adjust the force properly and can penetrate too far into the shingle and this results in a tear and potential leaker. This is particularly true on a re-roof over an existing old roof.

But I agree with one of the earlier posters who stated that a ridge cap nail is not likely to be exposed to much water. since it usually has no watershed above it.
The greater concern is wind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wow.... clear silicone?!? Someone was working on the cheap.

Exactly...or they didn't know better.

Alot of guys never came up in the trades these days. They never were an apprentice. They just bought a tool belt and started roofing.
Or they are carpenters first and foremost.

To be a good roofer, you must become one with the elements. You must become a single rain drop and think about how you are going to get past that roof and into the attic....Lol.

Let's be easy. I was the guy that covered the nail heads. I used some of that 50 year silicone caulking figuring it would outlast my shingles. I had it on hand and was only covering the few exposed nail heads. I didn't know it wouldn't stick. Confession is good for the soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back