Input requested on selecting a new Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I was hoping for your input on choosing a motor oil for my 2016 Kia Soul 1.6L. Currently running a Factory fill in the vehicle, I've had one oil change made at 4200 mi. The vehicle now has 8300 miles and I'd like to start changing my own oil in the vehicle. I intend to go up to the recommended 7500 mi OCI using a "Synthetic" oil and a Purolator Pure One filter. I've narrowed down my choices between Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Schaeffer's 9000, both in the 5w20 flavor.

I can get the Shaeffer's for a few dollars ($10) cheaper than the Pennzoil. So I'm leaning towards the Schaeffer's right now. Any constructive input would be appreciated on the pros and cons of these two choices. Thanks.

Both are great. Walmart had a sale on them recently with a huge pick up discount. Got 4 jugs plus Pennzoil rebate...was something like 10 a 5 qt jug. Same boat you are in with 5w20...got ultra due to sale.

Any of the major brands of oil that meet the specs in the owners manual will allow the engine to outlast your ownership of the vehicle.The oem filter will do.

They both look like great products, but I'd go with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum while you're under warranty. In the remote chance your engine needs warranty service, you want to be able to show that you used a known oil that meets the right spec, and a lot fewer service advisors will recognize Schaeffer's.

If you read up on the Magnesson-Moss act, unless they give it to you for free use whatever you want as long as it meets OE specs. They would have to prove it was your product that caused the engine to fail .... so have at it , just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wick
If you read up on the Magnesson-Moss act, unless they give it to you for free use whatever you want as long as it meets OE specs.

They only have to provide it for free if they say "you must use this exact product." What they say instead is "you must use a product with these attributes." That's fair game in most cases because there are usually many products on the market with the right attributes.

They would have to prove it was your product that caused the engine to fail

This is correct. Unfortunately, that won't prevent a dealership from causing you a few headaches before eventually accepting your claim.

You could walk in with the problem and they could warranty it on the spot. Maybe they'll ask for documentation of maintenance, but just skim it and accept your claim. In those cases, which are fairly likely, it doesn't matter what oil you've used.

Or they could ask for documentation, look at it closely, and try to deny your claim for using an unknown oil. Or they could have the oil tested and realize it's not a spec oil. In either of those cases, yes, a lot of back-and-forth with the dealership and/or corporate offices would eventually set them straight. But that'd be a time consuming PITA. It's cases like these that you can prevent by just using a known oil that meets the right specs.

Ultimately, this is highly unlikely to be an issue. The odds of lubrication-related engine failure are tiny (barring hideous abuse or neglect), especially with oils this good. But if you can get a little extra layer of assurance, why not?

it all depends on your attitude also, when making your claim. Just keep records of oil and filters (receipts and such) no-one has given me any [censored] before...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you read up on the Magnesson-Moss act, unless they give it to you for free use whatever you want as long as it meets OE specs.

They only have to provide it for free if they say "you must use this exact product." What they say instead is "you must use a product with these attributes." That's fair game in most cases because there are usually many products on the market with the right attributes.

This is correct. Unfortunately, that won't prevent a dealership from causing you a few headaches before eventually accepting your claim.

You could walk in with the problem and they could warranty it on the spot. Maybe they'll ask for documentation of maintenance, but just skim it and accept your claim. In those cases, which are fairly likely, it doesn't matter what oil you've used.

Or they could ask for documentation, look at it closely, and try to deny your claim for using an unknown oil. Or they could have the oil tested and realize it's not a spec oil. In either of those cases, yes, a lot of back-and-forth with the dealership and/or corporate offices would eventually set them straight. But that'd be a time consuming PITA. It's cases like these that you can prevent by just using a known oil that meets the right specs.

Ultimately, this is highly unlikely to be an issue. The odds of lubrication-related engine failure are tiny (barring hideous abuse or neglect), especially with oils this good. But if you can get a little extra layer of assurance, why not?

thumbsup2.gif
Some service writers can be real ball breakers, cars sit waiting sometimes for quite a while for claim acceptance or denial. I've seen it working in very high volume NY dealerships. Why go through the bother? I'd use Pennzoil or Mobil if they meet the company specs.

Any of the major brand synthetic oil will be fine, even NAPA. I would go for a OEM or NAPA Gold or Mobil 1 filters.

I buy 6-packs of OEM filters for my Subaru on Amazon at a good price.

Only only baby my truck. The Subaru get 6k oil changes with NAPA synthetic 0W20.

Either one will work, I would go with whatever is cheapest.

However, personally I'd stay away from the OEM filter. I'm only using it in my 2017 Elantra because I have two left that will otherwise sit around my house (Kia and Hyundai OEM filters are the same). There are a few threads about the OEM filters on hyundai-forums.com that talk about the filters made for Kia/Hyundai and how they poorly they filter in order to get high flow rates to prevent engine clatter on start-up.

Here's the thread in particular. One of the members does a filtration comparison between Mobil 1 and the OEM. The recommendation is to go with an Aftermarket filter with a Silicone ADBV.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/130394-dissection-oem-hyundai-filter-6.html

I would skip the Purolator filter of any kind as a start. If you're not going to use the OEM filter use either a Fram TG or XG(Ultra) or if you prefer a M1 filter. In my opinion the Fram XG is the best long drain filter cor the money and availability on the market currently.

Both your oil choices are probably greatly under utilized at 7,500 miles. For your drain interval regular Pennzoil Platinum would serve you quite well. But of your original two suggestions I would run whichever I could get the cheapest and easiest. The truth is you're looking to run an ultra premium oil in an economy car and any run of the mill oil will serve you just as well at a significant cost savings. There is no warranty requirement to run a synthetic oil for 7,500 mile OCI, that interval is based on conventional oil.

Furthermore Sodium as an addative isn't a sign of a "cheap" oil, it's just a different way of going about the addative package. I think you'd be hard pressed to find d people who bashed Schaefer for being a cheap oil.

I maintain a 2016 Kia Soul that is used as an UBER car. Here in Florida where the seasons are warm hot and miserable we use a 10w30 conventional oil drained at 5,000 miles with an OEM filter. The manual allows 5w20 5w30 & 10w30 depending on temperature. I opted for the slightly heavier oil to combat possible fuel dilution. Search the oil filter threads to see the construction of the OEM filter I removed after his last oil change. They're very well built and there are several reasons why one should run one.

luke as a Tactical Commander in a P3 I hardly see the use since its a sub hunter ? Dude as a Navy vet, a Kia ? really ??? Did you fly in P3s with Martin Baker seats too ?

Last edited:
FlyNavyP3 said:
I

Furthermore Sodium as an addative isn't a sign of a "cheap" oil, it's just a different way of going about the addative package. I think you'd be hard pressed to find d people who bashed Schaefer for being a cheap oil.

Schaefers isn't bad oil , never said that.... additive packages have come along way, without Moly too... thats old school.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SouthEndCrusher
Hello everyone!

I was hoping for your input on choosing a motor oil for my 2016 Kia Soul 1.6L. Currently running a Factory fill in the vehicle, I've had one oil change made at 4200 mi. The vehicle now has 8300 miles and I'd like to start changing my own oil in the vehicle. I intend to go up to the recommended 7500 mi OCI using a "Synthetic" oil and a Purolator Pure One filter. I've narrowed down my choices between Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Schaeffer's 9000, both in the 5w20 flavor.

I can get the Shaeffer's for a few dollars ($10) cheaper than the Pennzoil. So I'm leaning towards the Schaeffer's right now. Any constructive input would be appreciated on the pros and cons of these two choices. Thanks.

Like others have said, Purolator is one to avoid. They have a solid reputation for tearing media. Fram Ultra is the best deal on a high performance oil filter. (Walmart).

You can shop by specs. The dexos1 spec is the highest performance level spec (outside of German car oils). Go for https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milesyn-SXR-5...-of-12/49107856 as a way to get a full synthetic dexos1 oil for cheap ($1.83/quart after tax!!).

Otherwise, if you don't care about cost, Schaeffers is certainly very good. Any dexos1-rated oil on the shelf at Autozone, Pep Boys, Walmart, Amazon.... is fine.

luke as a Tactical Commander in a P3 I hardly see the use since its a sub hunter ? Dude as a Navy vet, a Kia ? really ??? Did you fly in P3s with Martin Baker seats too ?

Wick, to keep this thread on topic I'd refer you to a thread specific to the P-3/P-8 over in the aviation section where I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

The Kia isn't mine, I maintain it for a friend. I have a herd of vehicles but this Kia isn't one of them.

If you read up on the Magnesson-Moss act, unless they give it to you for free use whatever you want as long as it meets OE specs. They would have to prove it was your product that caused the engine to fail .... so have at it , just my 2 cents

I agree.

No need to spend on boutique oils when anything that meets specs will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif
Some service writers can be real ball breakers, cars sit waiting sometimes for quite a while for claim acceptance or denial. I've seen it working in very high volume NY dealerships. Why go through the bother? I'd use Pennzoil or Mobil if they meet the company specs.

So your claim is they can reject you with Schaeffers but not PP or Mobil. Come one, do you honestly believe your [censored]?

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif

So your claim is they can reject you with Schaeffers but not PP or Mobil. Come one, do you honestly believe your [censored]?

Just how many high volume dealerships did you work for? Did I mention any oil in particular, or even oil for that matter? I said some service writers can be real ball breakers. Why give them a chance? Yes I did see cars sit and wait for warranty approval because non-approved items were used. Some were OK, some denied. Your call.

FTR I like Pennzoil and Mobil products, if Schaeffers meets the spec, or Castrol meets it, or any other brand for that matter, go for it. I also used the word 'if'. 'If'
Pennzoil and Mobil don't meet the spec, pick something else.

Not to drift OT but I was recently reminded of a Honda customer being denied a claim on a knocking engine, he had a K&N air filter on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back