Mopar and Fram Ultra side by side 3.6L Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who owns a 2014 to 2017 Pentastar powered vehicle I got a good deal on some XG11665 filters for my Rubicon and compared it to the Mopar MO-349. Aside from the different media Fram uses [which is straighter] the center tube spins within the base, the Mopar doesn't. The Mopar base is a bit thicker, the center tubes appear to be the same. Next oil change I'll know how well the Fram Ultra filter fits.

Enjoy...........

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I got a good deal on some XG11665 filters ....

Ahh-ha!! The "search" is over ... ?!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I got a good deal on some XG11665 filters ....

Ahh-ha!! The "search" is over ... ?!

wink.gif

From what I've seen here, I'm personally not a fan of Ultras in the cartridge form. That Mopar is pretty hard to beat IMO, but to each his own.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Keep using Mopar.

I might, depending on how the Fram fits........ I split a 6 pack with a friend so him taking them off my hands is easy.

I'm running the Ultra in my caravan right now. I also observed the same differences between the two.

Originally Posted By: RD_3
I'm running the Ultra in my caravan right now. I also observed the same differences between the two.

Did you notice any difference in the fit? The end caps that hold the media is slightly thinner, but the overall size of the filter is the same.

My grandmother lives 2 hrs away in a small southern Kentucky town and the NAPA by her sells golds for $4.75. At that price, it's a no brainer for me. I've had 3 UOAs on my Durango with the golds and I've always gotten good reports.

I'd like to use the Ultra but can't justify it at that price point. Plus, I don't go over 8,000 mile oci. My local dealer charges an arm and a leg for the Mopar filter so I avoid those.

Thanks for the side-by-side.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
My grandmother lives 2 hrs away in a small southern Kentucky town and the NAPA by her sells golds for $4.75. At that price, it's a no brainer for me. I've had 3 UOAs on my Durango with the golds and I've always gotten good reports.

I'd like to use the Ultra but can't justify it at that price point. Plus, I don't go over 8,000 mile oci. My local dealer charges an arm and a leg for the Mopar filter so I avoid those.

No problem with the side by side! NAPA is quite a distance from me unfortunately I wish there was one closer and in a better neighborhood.

I'm considering breaking tradition with the Ultra. It is very easy to remove the cap pull the filter inspect it and drain the housing. I might start running the filter for 2 OCIs. Sayjac, did you hear that buddy?
wink.gif

....I'm considering breaking tradition with the Ultra. It is very easy to remove the cap pull the filter inspect it and drain the housing. I might start running the filter for 2 OCIs. Sayjac, did you hear that buddy?
wink.gif

Well it is an ideal set up for that. As noted, you can open the housing to inspect the cartridge, drain and close it back up. EZ Peasy.

Also an excellent application (cartridge on top of engine) for using a mityvac for OC if one is so inclined. Only way my son does it now with Audi.

However, though I haven't seen him around in awhile, better hope Blue Oval Fitter doesn't read this.
31.gif
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
....I'm considering breaking tradition with the Ultra. It is very easy to remove the cap pull the filter inspect it and drain the housing. I might start running the filter for 2 OCIs. Sayjac, did you hear that buddy?
wink.gif

Well it is an ideal set up for that. As noted, you can open the housing to inspect the cartridge, drain and close it back up. EZ Peasy.

Also an excellent application (cartridge on top of engine) for using a mityvac for OC if one is so inclined. Only way my son does it now with Audi.

However, though I haven't seen him around in awhile, better hope Blue Oval Fitter doesn't read this.
31.gif
56.gif

The only reason I'm considering it is the location, ease, ability to inspect the filter, and knowing as soon as the element comes out the housing is drained. FTR you won't see me doing it with a spin on filter. lol
27.gif

Doing two ocis on a Tacoma with a Napa Gold 1348. Putting 14k miles using an XG3614 one synthetic one conventional oil oc. Filter looked great. 3.4L with timing belt very easy on oil. Though I don't/won't always do it, no fear of running a spin on two ocis, preferably with silicone adbv.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

Our Wal Marts here carry the MO-349 for less than 5 bucks. Might check yours if your looking for them cheaper than dealer.

I found a "made in Korea" filter at my local "Canadian Auto Parts Supply" labelled as their house "Defense" brand for under $7 regular price. The dealer Mopar is $18. I'll post pictures of this well made filter when I get around to it.

I haven't seen the Ultra locally in this application yet.

I run WIX filters in my wife's '14 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6. I get them off rockauto cheap and they are a good filter. They look like the Mopar filter you show. Anyhow - no problems and truck as 68k miles on Wix filters and 5W/30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
I found a "made in Korea" filter at my local "Canadian Auto Parts Supply" labelled as their house "Defense" brand for under $7 regular price. The dealer Mopar is $18. I'll post pictures of this well made filter when I get around to it.

I haven't seen the Ultra locally in this application yet.

I'd be interested in seeing them.

Originally Posted By: RD_3

Did you notice any difference in the fit? The end caps that hold the media is slightly thinner, but the overall size of the filter is the same.

The only difference I noticed is snapping the filter onto the filter cap took a bit more force than normal. Once it was snapped on it was business as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back