Toyota Red Coolant and additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read where the Toyota Long Life red coolant isn't compatible with the Redline Water Wetter additive. I also read where somebody was able to mix the Toyota Red coolant with the Purple Ice additive.

Does anybody know for sure what I can use with the Toyota red coolant? I idle around a ranch and during the summer I would think this stuff has to help with temps in my 06 Tundra with the 4.7 V8

Thanks

Water wetter was really only designed for straight water applications...like race cars.It wont do anything but drain your wallet.

As I mentioned, Water Wetter isn't compatible with the Toyota Long Life coolant. I am almost positive that Purple Ice is compatible though

Idling around ranches in 100 plus degree temperatures has me wanting to add something to help. I find my temps getting above 200 degrees in places on the ranch and if I can keep it between 190 and 195 I'll be happy

Originally Posted By: Donald
Stick with OEM Coolant and forget about Water Wetter.

This.

Zerex Asian at Advance or NAPA is a good sub for Toyota Red.

Originally Posted By: huntsonora
I've read where the Toyota Long Life red coolant isn't compatible with the Redline Water Wetter additive. I also read where somebody was able to mix the Toyota Red coolant with the Purple Ice additive.

Does anybody know for sure what I can use with the Toyota red coolant? I idle around a ranch and during the summer I would think this stuff has to help with temps in my 06 Tundra with the 4.7 V8

Thanks

Replace your weak fan clutch and quit with the water wetter.

As I mentioned, Water Wetter isn't compatible with the Toyota Long Life coolant. I am almost positive that Purple Ice is compatible though

Idling around ranches in 100 plus degree temperatures has me wanting to add something to help. I find my temps getting above 200 degrees in places on the ranch and if I can keep it between 190 and 195 I'll be happy

your thermostat is probably set at 212 from the factory. That's normal operating temp.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Thanks

Replace your weak fan clutch and quit with the water wetter.

Yea some supplemental e-fans sounds like a better use of money. Get some real airflow.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Stick with OEM Coolant and forget about Water Wetter.

Zerex Asian at Advance or NAPA is a good sub for Toyota Red.

Best price right now on pHOAT coolant is probably Pep Boys, which still has the Recochem concentrate for $9.99 with free shipping on Ebay.

your thermostat is probably set at 212 from the factory. That's normal operating temp.

This.

If you run OEM fluid, and a good syn oil, you should be fine. I wouldnt use an additive here.

I would run 40% oem coolant 60% distilled water, skip the WW and purple ice and call it good

Have you cleaned the radiator/condenser/cooler stack?
Sometimes, they just need good cleaning from all the dust, bugs and other debris.
It is free except for the time for doing it.

Cleaning will help not only the engine cooling but also cabin cooling with the AC running better.

Last edited:
Water Wetter and Toyota red/pink will react together and form red sediment. Toyota thermostats are set to 80-90*C(around 180-190*F). How's the radiator looking like and is the fan clutch working well - if you need to replace it, use an Aisin one or OEM only. The aftermarket stuff doesn't come close.

Avoid any of those Coolant additives - Water Wetter, Purple Ice, etc.. - in a typical passenger car, where you utilize a mix of Coolant and Water, the additive will not help.. and COULD potentially compete with the coolant's chemistry.. or worse, form sediment or sludge.

Stick with the Toyota Red, and if you're worried, do a proper flush first.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
....Best price right now on pHOAT coolant is probably Pep Boys, which still has the Recochem concentrate for $9.99 with free shipping on Ebay.

It's what I'd use. And since it's a concentrate perfect for a complete flush and top with distilled.

Skip the WW. No need for it.

Hi Sayjac,

What make/models do you use it in? I need to put new coolant in the Matrix and I think the gallon at the dealer is $33. So $10 would be great if it's ok to use. TIA.

^^^ As noted it's a concentrated Asian PHOAT, same AF type as Toyota oem AF. It'll work fine in your Matrix with distilled water to a 50% concentration. And the price delivered to your door is really excellent.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Have you cleaned the radiator/condenser/cooler stack?
Sometimes, they just need good cleaning from all the dust, bugs and other debris.
It is free except for the time for doing it.

Cleaning will help not only the engine cooling but also cabin cooling with the AC running better.

This is the primary issue I'm having. The grass seed is near impossible to keep out and while I do blow it out twice a week the radiator is still in bad shape. I have a new Denso unit being delivered tomorrow and will switch them out. I just thought the additive might help keep things running cooler

Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back