2011 Prius, Eneos 0W-20 Synthetic, 5,018 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an oil analysis report from my daily driver. The driving style was about 50/50 city/highway – most city trips are about 10 miles in length and are at higher speeds (>40 mph), so the gas engine is running.

This car has only seen synthetic oil from day 1; all oil changes except 1 or 2 have been with 0W-20. For the first 90k miles, I followed the OEM specified 10K intervals but noticed that the oil started to get extremely dark as the engine aged. Since then, I have scaled back to 5K intervals.

Total time on this oil was about 3 months. This was Eneos 0W-20 from WorldPac with a Genuine Toyota oil filter. There was no oil consumption.

Miles on Oil: 5,018
Total Miles on Unit: 153,364
Sample Date: 6/27/17
Make Up Oil Added: 0 qts

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 0
Iron: 4
Copper: 0
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 162
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 51
Silicon: 7
Sodium: 3
Calcium: 1915
Magnesium: 102
Phosphorus: 679
Zinc: 802
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 50.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 7.33
Flashpoint in F: 400
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0
Water %: 0
Insolubles %: 0.2
TBN: 4.1

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why use syn For your oil change intervals?

0W-20 synthetic is the OEM specified oil. You should always use the specified oil, even if you reduce the service interval.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why use syn For your oil change intervals?

0W-20 synthetic is the OEM specified oil. You should always use the specified oil, even if you reduce the service interval.

Iaw, Just a wasted of a good oil.

That is it, people come here to learn about oil but if the old timers (19000 posts) do the same as somebody who know nothing about oil changes,
What is the point of this forum?
Im been here many years so it was all a wasted of time!

With the wear you have I would try 7500 cause you have almost no wear. No joke. 10k just might have been good.
Has your engine computer ever been reset? Like disconnect the negative and turn on the lights drain the system reconnect so it resets?
With that TBN its really early to dump it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Metal numbers are low. So much for high wear with 0-20 oil.

Yep.

Not sure why people are being critical, I use full syn for 5k mile intervals also. I dont find it a waste. Everyone has their opinion on this site and thats what makes it good.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Metal numbers are low. So much for high wear with 0-20 oil.

Well, context matters here. A low power Prius engine certainly has lower film strength (HTHS) requirements so 0W-20 works fine. Not so much for other engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back