Got hooked up to Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CKN
There are several channels that may be of interest to you-

Discovery (Science/nature) Velocity (Cars) National Geographic, HGTV (Home Improvement) and History Channel, if your package includes these channels.

Which channel has the "How It's Made" show?

That's on a few different channels.
https://www.sciencechannel.com/schedule

Scroll to bottom.

Your cable will have an "on screen" guide. You need to cross check the channels listed with your guide to find out what channel/when ComCast puts it on your local system.

Last edited:
That's on a few different channels.
https://www.sciencechannel.com/schedule

Scroll to bottom.

Your cable will have an "on screen" guide. You need to cross check the channels listed with your guide to find out what channel/when ComCast puts it on your local system.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I know it's unrelated but I highly despise Comcast as a company.

All those big companies are evil. AT&T is just as bad. I personally think we should have free internet in this country.

After seeing some of the rates you guys/gals are paying, I'd be happy having it. Up here in the N. Georgia mountains, we're stuck with Windstream as our provider for internet service only. It's DSL, and the monthly bill is a tad over $98 per month. My only other option is satelite internet, but you start paying for usage after your monthly allotment is used up and the cost can climb quickly. I thought about paying for unlimited cellular data, but that comes with it's own drawbacks and would be no less expensive than our current setup. Not much we can do. Our local power provder offers cable and internet in some of the more populated areas, but has so far refused to bring it up our mountain even though the infrastructure for doing so is in place.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
COMCAST will lie to you.

You don't need their Internet modem for any Xfinity bundle.

Chances are very high you can get cheaper Internet without Cable. Do an internet search for the cable price schedule for your municipal area. Once you have that, call them back and demand exactly, and only, what you want.

You can get your own modem, but it has to be one on their accepted hardware list.

NO-not the way Comcast "bundles" their packages in many parts of the country.

Got some major disinformation going on in this thread.

So you believe the first thing Comcast tells you as to what's really available, and what's not?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Illinois charges tax on TV but not on internet.
I currently have comcast internet only for $19.99

not a cent more, I love it.

Is that an introductory or hardship rate?

STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER HERE!

comcast internet plans : with a $5 discount for autopay is just right.
And yes, introductory rate

Originally Posted By: pandus13

comcast internet plans : with a $5 discount for autopay is just right.
And yes, introductory rate

Then at the end of whatever time frame of the intro rate you WILL BE PAYING MORE!

This happens all the time on these-what are you paying-who are you using threads. These low rates get listed with out any mention that it's a intro rate.

Guess-you can fool some people some of the time......

Last edited:
I'm paying $40/Mo for 25 Mbps. After one year it goes up to $60/Mo. Install cost was $45.

AT&T was charging me $60/Mo for 12 Mbps. Install cost to upgrade to 25 Mbps would've been $85. Monthly rate would've stayed at $60.

We havent paid for TV in half a decade, many young people know this as well and we still have WAY more TV then we can possibly watch, all major networks and many locals in better the pay TV HD clarity, free with an attic antenna and Channel Master DVR which looks, acts and feels like a cable box.

Add to that 4 Ruku players, Ooma Nationwide phone service, Spectrum 100 mbps service (we only have the 100 cause wifes company pays for it) otherwise we were paying $40 and getting 25 mbps which used to be 7MBPS not to long ago, not sure why is got faster.

Total Cost =
100 MPBS Internet = $54.95
Ooma Phone Service = less then $5. per month
Hulu Plus = $9 per month
Netflex - $9 per month
Redbox movie once every week or two

If your into sports you can get sling for $20 a month, ESPN plus other cable channels included, including the steaming device, no contract.

Last edited:
Of course you had your upfront equipment costs you didn't include....

I got a Motorola MG7550 off eBay for $140 shipped.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
After seeing some of the rates you guys/gals are paying, I'd be happy having it. Up here in the N. Georgia mountains, we're stuck with Windstream as our provider for internet service only. It's DSL, and the monthly bill is a tad over $98 per month. My only other option is satelite internet, but you start paying for usage after your monthly allotment is used up and the cost can climb quickly. I thought about paying for unlimited cellular data, but that comes with it's own drawbacks and would be no less expensive than our current setup. Not much we can do. Our local power provder offers cable and internet in some of the more populated areas, but has so far refused to bring it up our mountain even though the infrastructure for doing so is in place.

That is rather high for internet alone. Our local provider offers 200mbps at $55 a month. Not amazing but at the same time not bad.

As for the infrastructure being set up it's more of a "maybe" then anything. The government offers cable, internet, and phone providers limited monopolies for the areas which the support due to the up front costs being so high. It's ultimately ends with the provider using the best option (within reason) available at the time.

Once it's done they do very little to improve the infrastructure. Comcast/Verizon is the shining example of it. They put down a lot of infrastructure in the early to mid 90's and did nothing more then maintenance what was necessary to keep it up.

The end result is a network so out dated and over used it effects everyone. Once they get the limited monopoly rights for that area they will fight tooth and nail to keep any and all competition out.

They will bring you to court over and over just to make the cost of entrance so high it wouldn't be very profitable to offer any service in the area. They will either pay significantly to use the infrastructure there or pay to have the network ran underground which is also very expensive.

So yes there is infrastructure in place but the probability they can even touch it is very very low.

That is rather high for internet alone. Our local provider offers 200mbps at $55 a month. Not amazing but at the same time not bad.

As for the infrastructure being set up it's more of a "maybe" then anything. The government offers cable, internet, and phone providers limited monopolies for the areas which the support due to the up front costs being so high. It's ultimately ends with the provider using the best option (within reason) available at the time.

Once it's done they do very little to improve the infrastructure. Comcast/Verizon is the shining example of it. They put down a lot of infrastructure in the early to mid 90's and did nothing more then maintenance what was necessary to keep it up.

The end result is a network so out dated and over used it effects everyone. Once they get the limited monopoly rights for that area they will fight tooth and nail to keep any and all competition out.

They will bring you to court over and over just to make the cost of entrance so high it wouldn't be very profitable to offer any service in the area. They will either pay significantly to use the infrastructure there or pay to have the network ran underground which is also very expensive.

So yes there is infrastructure in place but the probability they can even touch it is very very low.

ComCast networks vary greatly all over the country. They are rolling out gigabyte speeds in my area. BTW-$98.00 is what they are charging in some parts of the country. You really cannot make generalizations about Internet services-because it varies GREATLY depending on the market.

If you want to waste some time-go on ComCast's website and put in different zip codes from different states and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

Yes. It is high. At this point in time my options are to pay it, or do without. Honestly, from a pure service standpoint, the best service we've ever had came from Verizon's FIOS offering when we lived on the west coast of Florida. The internet was reliable and fast. Their cable was about the same as any other company. Customer service left something to be desired but the product itself worked fine.

Our current provider, Windstream, swooped in and took over when AT&T was getting out of the landline business. In the two years we've had them, we've been out of service probably ten times. Usually back in service in a day or so. It's either "the cable is bad", or "a card was bad". We've actually had lawyers from Alabama come to this area and sue Windstream for crummy service and falsely advertised internet speeds.

Sorry. I'm venting here. Thinking about it, even though $98 a month for what we have is a little steep, having the chance to live where we live now, it might be a small price to pay in the long run. Very little traffic. Low density, unless it's a holiday weekend. Just too many positives to mention them all. And to be fair, there are a few negatives as well. Maybe a topic for another day.

Wow, pretty negative sounding post. So I will reply he same.
Is TV an upfront equipment cost too? Please expand on that.

I listed most my equipment and its easy to check the prices, I understand some people feel the need to rent equipment or they think they are getting it for free but if anyone cant afford to purchase the equipment they shouldnt be using it in the first place.

My god, people pay over a hundred dollars a month for TV and internet, and think they are getting a deal vs buying equipment and not being a slave to a landlord?

If anyone is interested in exact equipment because its something they are interested in, Ill be glad to reply!

Country has gone so nuts that people as a rountine get toys they cant afford, getting in debt, to a bank or cell phone company or cable company, then complain about the cost when the sizzle wears off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Wow, pretty negative sounding post. So I will reply he same.
Is TV an upfront equipment cost too? Please expand on that.

I listed most my equipment and its easy to check the prices, I understand some people feel the need to rent equipment or they think they are getting it for free but if anyone cant afford to purchase the equipment they shouldnt be using it in the first place.

My god, people pay over a hundred dollars a month for TV and internet, and think they are getting a deal vs buying equipment and not being a slave to a landlord?

If anyone is interested in exact equipment because its something they are interested in, Ill be glad to reply!

Country has gone so nuts that people as a rountine get toys they cant afford, getting in debt, to a bank or cell phone company or cable company, then complain about the cost when the sizzle wears off.

Not meant to be negative-but costs are costs. It like saying you spend $50.00/bucks a week in gas to drive to work without including the cost of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back