Factory car that can do a wheelie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a picture of a 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon with the front wheels off the ground and wondered what cars, essentially in factory form, that can do a wheelie. A tire change is OK, and the picture of the Dodge looks like it has some street performance tires on it, don't know if they are stock. I'm not talking about a momentary tire lift from sidestepping the clutch just before the rear end shells, but a true wheelie due to power.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I saw a picture of a 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon with the front wheels off the ground and wondered what cars, essentially in factory form, that can do a wheelie. A tire change is OK, and the picture of the Dodge looks like it has some street performance tires on it, don't know if they are stock. I'm not talking about a momentary tire lift from sidestepping the clutch just before the rear end shells, but a true wheelie due to power.

While a street legal car that can pull the front tires off of the ground is an impressive display of raw power, the Demon is a classic example of a car with too much motor, and no chassis to go along with it...IMO, Dodge would've had a much more capable car on their hands had they put this engine in a Viper...

Have you seen a Demon go wheels up? Consider they haven't delivered any to owners yet and you're looking at Dodge promo photos...

The "press cars" always get the best of everything, including sticky track prep.

Even with good slicks, you will likely never do wheelies on the street. The surface is wrong.

The only two cars I've ever seen TRULY wheelie on the street were both Big Blocks with GOBS of torque, wicked low rearend gears (think 5.13's), and tubbed with at least 14" wide rubber underneath. One was a '70 Nova and the other was a '69 Road Runner. Another guy I know got very close with a '73 340 Dodge Demon.

Originally Posted By: grampi
[While a street legal car that can pull the front tires off of the ground is an impressive display of raw power, the Demon is a classic example of a car with too much motor, and no chassis to go along with it...IMO, Dodge would've had a much more capable car on their hands had they put this engine in a Viper...

That was actually the whole point of the Demon: more motor and less chassis than even the Hellcat. The suspension is set up for a drag launch, not for handling. Its chassis dynamics are at the bare minimum level that Dodge thought they could get away with.

Just as the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 is all about getting around a corner, and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is all about luxury, the Dodge Demon is all about dominating the 1/4 mile.

While a street legal car that can pull the front tires off of the ground is an impressive display of raw power, the Demon is a classic example of a car with too much motor, and no chassis to go along with it...IMO, Dodge would've had a much more capable car on their hands had they put this engine in a Viper...
There is never too much power if power is the goal. What you describe is the beloved muscle car. Too much power too little chassis !

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
[While a street legal car that can pull the front tires off of the ground is an impressive display of raw power, the Demon is a classic example of a car with too much motor, and no chassis to go along with it...IMO, Dodge would've had a much more capable car on their hands had they put this engine in a Viper...

That was actually the whole point of the Demon: more motor and less chassis than even the Hellcat. The suspension is set up for a drag launch, not for handling. Its chassis dynamics are at the bare minimum level that Dodge thought they could get away with.

Just as the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 is all about getting around a corner, and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is all about luxury, the Dodge Demon is all about dominating the 1/4 mile.

Dodge had a chassis that was good for both...a Viper with this motor would spank anything in a straight line or around corners...

Originally Posted By: CT8

There is never too much power if power is the goal. What you describe is the beloved muscle car. Too much power too little chassis !

As fun as muscle cars are, true sports cars are even more fun...

Dodge had a chassis that was good for both...a Viper with this motor would spank anything in a straight line or around corners...

Don't know about corners. There are already cars that can hang with a Viper in a corner, and giving it the Demon treatment -- engine, cooling and reinforcements to go along with it, suspension compromises for the drag strip -- would make it worse, not better. But in a straight line, sure.

It also would have been twice as expensive. Given that the Demon is already capable of a 9.65 @ 140 -- the world record for a production car -- what would be the point?

We're neglecting the fact that the Demon has a suspension specifically tuned for weight transfer to the rear for traction. That chassis is focused on quarter mile times, which puts it at odds with cornering and braking. Engineers working on the Demon had a plethora of compromises to make it driveable, and palatable for public consumption. I'm just glad a manufacturer had the guts to make a halo car of this nature at this price point.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The "press cars" always get the best of everything, including sticky track prep.

Even with good slicks, you will likely never do wheelies on the street. The surface is wrong.

The only two cars I've ever seen TRULY wheelie on the street were both Big Blocks with GOBS of torque, wicked low rearend gears (think 5.13's), and tubbed with at least 14" wide rubber underneath. One was a '70 Nova and the other was a '69 Road Runner. Another guy I know got very close with a '73 340 Dodge Demon.

Yup, street asphalt will not offer enough bite - even with the best slicks you can get. You need a ton of gear and you need the rear suspension set-up with the center of mass above the lay line ...

Originally Posted By: CT8

As fun as muscle cars are, true sports cars are even more fun...

I had a friend give me a ride in his bugeye AH in the early 60's in the NC mountains. Now that was fun.

Don't know about corners. There are already cars that can hang with a Viper in a corner, and giving it the Demon treatment -- engine, cooling and reinforcements to go along with it, suspension compromises for the drag strip -- would make it worse, not better. But in a straight line, sure.

It also would have been twice as expensive. Given that the Demon is already capable of a 9.65 @ 140 -- the world record for a production car -- what would be the point?

Since when are 1/4 times the only measure of a car? Impressive yes, but not much use on public streets...I'd rather have a car that maybe doesn't accelerate quite as quickly, but is also a competent handler...

Last edited:

Since when are 1/4 times the only measure of a car? Impressive yes, but not much use on public streets...I'd rather have a car that maybe doesn't accelerate quite as quickly, but is also a competent handler...

Not trying to be rude, but who really cares what you think, except you? Think about that for a minute...

The reason I said that is that you are but one person. There are many, many more in this country who are not you, thus their interests, beliefs and views will not be what yours are. If they want a Demon and they can pony up the $$$, then that's their prerogative.

All that being said, I used to love muscle cars, but now my tastes have shifted some. I'd really love a new Mustang GT350R... But I still think the Demon is pretty awesome!

They aren't the only measure of a car.

They ARE the main measure of THIS car.

I also would rather have something else. Good thing the Demon isn't the only car on the market, right?
wink.gif

I would guess that the Demon's closest ancestors, the '68 factory Hemi Darts and Barracudas, could do it on a drag strip.

I have seen plenty of stock-looking big-cube cars (442 W-30's come to mind) launch with an inch or so of light under the right front tire. But those were not "as delivered," and on slicks at the strip. A heavy car that can pull a tire that little bit has always seemed more impressive to me than an all-out wheelie. If the goal is to go from A to B as quickly as possible, a wheelie seems like wasted energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back