Vibration at highway speeds that will not go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced tires this helped, replaced pads and rotors ac delco ceramic pads and oreillys auto parts rotors. I get a vibration at highway speeds and it will be noticeable then go away then it'll return. When I have the vibration I can be doing 70-75mph not let off the gas but lightly press the brake pedal the vibration will stop. The car had a brake booster and master cylinder replaced under recall. I'm running out of ideas . Could it be a defective set of rotors? The calipers feel like they compressed smoothly I'm leaving for Kentucky in two days and would love to get in resolved. Thanks everyone

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Bad tie rod end or bad strut bearing.

Everything is tight . Car has 34,000miles

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
Rotate tires?

Yes no change.

Does any of your tires have a lot more weight on it than the other three? I had a steel rim that was slightly bent and took about 1.5oz more than the other tires to balance.

Tire out of round or made incorrectly? These can get by balancing sometimes. I have had an out of round tire that balanced perfectly but caused a pulsation.

Take it to a local Indy old school alignment,shop,if they don't balance and true on the vehicle,ask them who can.
Or put it on jack stands or a rack and spin it up to 75

One test is to jack of the front axle (I am assuming its one of the Darts), hold the spring tightly and spin the wheel. This can detect wheel bearings when you can't hear it or notice excessive weakness. Do any of the front wheels have play if you try to rock them up/down or fore/aft when off the ground? You could also try checking the axle nut torque even if the bearing feels good on the "spin and wiggle" test.

No play in anything. It's the 14 dart gt btw tires have been triple checked

Id bring it to your dealer and tell them to figure it out. Why have you just replaced a bunch of OEM parts blindly? You seem to have alot of issues with the darts.

'You seem to have a lot of issues'

Rolla...fixed it for ya...
wink.gif

I had a vibration on a new to me Acura with over 200k that I couldn't figure out.
I did the gamut. All new tires, I did the brakes, pads and rotors and caliper lube, and three attempts by Tirediscounters to balance it, they finally noticed that one of the wheels was bent. I got a new wheel for it, and it still vibrated! As a last resort I took it to the Acura dealer. They did a road force balance with a very expensive Hunter machine for 40 bucks and the vibration was eliminated. So try a road force balance. Insist on it.

Last edited:
I bet the OP is tired of balancing but yes...,roadforce balance. It is different and frankly should be far more commonly used. It's like how colon cancer stool tests are like a few bucks now but nobody uses them and instead people in their 30's die needlessly.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
No play in anything. It's the 14 dart gt btw tires have been triple checked

Balancing on the vehicle balances the rotor,hub ,wheel bearing, studs lug nuts, wheel seal.... it balances the unit as a whole. Amazing results if done correctly.

Pull the wheels and look at hubs with wheel spinning from engine look for run out at hub rotor and cv axle. I did a parts check on a car I sold a friend, found a broken cv axle and worn tie rod so I replaced. Promblem still existed investigated other side and with the wheel off could watch the caliper walking back and forth under engine power . I wasn't sure if the issue was coming from the CV axle or rotor the owner of the vehicle had just had wheel bearing tie rod end and Axle replaced in the last year on that size. I pulled it all apart and found the bearing bad and replaced that and the axle again bc it was moving too.
Long story short when all put back together with new parts I could clearly see the hub flange was bent..... Have you hit a big pot hole or curb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back