2003 Subaru Outback 2.5 - missing under load, snap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get out of town on vacation early on Thursday, Sis called me and said her 2003 Outback 4 cylinder just started missing under load, and there's a random sharp snapping noise under the hood.

I haven't seen it, and I'm short on time to get it fixed. But it sure sounds like a bad plug wire to me. from what I'm being told.

Is there anything else I should buy, just to be sure? I'm definitely not going to replace the plugs at this point, if I don't have to, considering it is the opposed four. Do these even have a replaceable cap?

Bad ignition coil and possibly wires. Easy to do right on top of motor. 14 years of heat cycles is hard on the plastics.

Sounds like it could be a bad wire also. Gonna need a new set at the least. My friends 05 Baja with the 2.5 NA was missing under load also & very hesitant. Honestly, dumped back to back treatments of Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner in it & it woke the motor right back up. Not saying your sisters does not need new plugs/wires. I recently changed the plugs on my friends Subaru with NGK Iridiums & it runs great. Note, she has 77 thousand plus on the motor. Just my two cents. Your sister must have a good mechanical ear to hear this snapping noise under the hood.

yup. they are very short wires on that engine. Easy to pull and inspect, or just swap all 4. If it's like my '97 was, it's a wasted spark ignition so the wires do double duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back