Mobil1 10w40 HM burns like water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
M1 HM 10W-40 was never my go-to for anything ...

Maxlife
smile.gif

I have to agree with this.
For oil consumption, Maxlife.
For everything else, whatever.
I'll be trying M1 HM in my old BMW when I change its oil in the next week or, so we'll see if it works as well or better than Maxlife 10W-40, which did work very well.
The Defy 10W-40 I've used for a few changes seems to promote consumption and leaks.

Originally Posted By: RusskiBoSS
Originally Posted By: tig1

Actually he's most likely wrong as to why your engine has high oil consumption except with the possibility of the PCV problem.

Consumption is pretty stable on 0w40s. Hopefully it straightens out. Could PCV system cause sudden intermediate oil consumptions like that? Or did switching brands cause the consumption? I'm leaning towards switching brands... Don't think that the PCV could cause intermediate consumptions like that in exactly the same time I switched brands and then just go back to little to no consumption. Maybe a coincedence and it is the PCV fault? Or maybe just initial consumption from switching brands? Idk...

You ask someone that says I'm wrong without understand my statments and distorting my conclusion. Did I said your pcv is at fault?
No, I dint't. Never.
So, what did I say?
Your pcv is sucking the oil mist formed inside the crackcase, as explained in my quoted post. Sheared vii (thinned) oils do splash hitting internal engine parts more, making more cloud mist of oil. The pcv is there to suck cranckcase vapors and some spraying go together.
Your pcv is all right!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
M1 HM 10W-40 was never my go-to for anything ...

Maxlife
smile.gif

I have to agree with this.
For oil consumption, Maxlife.
For everything else, whatever.
I'll be trying M1 HM in my old BMW when I change its oil in the next week or, so we'll see if it works as well or better than Maxlife 10W-40, which did work very well.
The Defy 10W-40 I've used for a few changes seems to promote consumption and leaks.

I personally didn't have good luck w M1 HM reducing oil consumption on a few old cars. MaxLife Blend worked well.

PP 10w30 almost zero consumption in my expi in 600 mile hwy run.
M1 0w40 about 1 quart consumption in my expi on same 600 mile hwy run.

Just observations no conclusions.

Last edited:
It sounds like your valve-stem oil seals have completely failed now. I would use cheap 15W-40 all year round with bad valve-stem oil seals if I was in NC.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
It sounds like your valve-stem oil seals have completely failed now. I would use cheap 15W-40 all year round with bad valve-stem oil seals if I was in NC.

The engine would smoke on start if it were valve seals. Perhaps he didn't put enough oil in to start with.

The engine would smoke on start if it were valve seals. Perhaps he didn't put enough oil in to start with.

Most engines smoke on startup.

The real symptom of bad valve-stem oil seals is as follows: Drive on a hot day for at least fifteen miles. Come to a full stop and idle with the car in gear for at least two minutes. Have someone look at the tailpipe while you suddenly take off. If you see smoke, it's the valve-stem oil seals.

If it's the rings, viscosity probably won't make much difference.

Most engines smoke on startup.

The real symptom of bad valve-stem oil seals is as follows: Drive on a hot day for at least fifteen miles. Come to a full stop and idle with the car in gear for at least two minutes. Have someone look at the tailpipe while you suddenly take off. If you see smoke, it's the valve-stem oil seals.

If it's the rings, viscosity probably won't make much difference.

Most engines smoke on start up?? No they don't.

Yes, they do.

Gasoline doesn't burn completely in a cold engine. You get a lot of hydrocarbons (HC) from the tailpipe as well as a lot of water vapor from the condensation overnight. On top of that, you get a lot of incomplete combustion during cranking. If you remove the spark plugs immediately after cranking, you will see that they turned black. They clear up after the engine warms up.

Yes, they do.

Gasoline doesn't burn completely in a cold engine. You get a lot of hydrocarbons (HC) from the tailpipe as well as a lot of water vapor from the condensation overnight. On top of that, you get a lot of incomplete combustion during cranking. If you remove the spark plugs immediately after cranking, you will see that they turned black. They clear up after the engine warms up.
Maybe 32 year old Corollas smoke on startup, but 99+% of cars on the road don't have visible smoke when starting.

I've NEVER seen a properly running 4 cycle gas motor smoke on startup. WRONG! Car engines in good working order will not smoke on startup period. Maybe you are confused with a few minutes of steam on a cold day?

The one symptom of bad valve seals that I know of is a puff of blue smoke on startup or after a long idle. White smoke is steam which many cars put out when cold. Nothing wrong with that unless excessive and constant.

I had high oil consumption due to bad valve-stem oil seals in the Corolla. The easiest way to tell is what I wrote above. After I replaced them, the consumption has gone away completely. Here is my write-up:

Which has lots of nice words and no longer any pictures.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Which has lots of nice words and no longer any pictures.

Photobucket unfortunately very recently stopped free third-party hosting, which is affecting many people on the Internet, including here.

I no longer use Photobucket and I'll update that post sometime with working Google Photos links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back